BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: GS tools

Veteran-Sergeant

Default GS tools

Some very late night painting.

I have been playing around with GS recently but I wanted to ask people what they use as tools to shape it. I have a knife, tweezers etc and all the normal stuff but what should I buy that helps with green stuff as I cant seem to get it smooth or some of the details that you guys have.

Thanks
    Trying to build a tau army
    How long will this take

Chapter-Master

I'm not a pro sculptor but I work with GS a lot... Water (or if you're adventurous... spit) are both great for smoothing out GS. on large areas I use a wet finger to smooth it out. When it doesn't dry the way I want I file/sand it back down to smooth with fine grit... I try to avoid this as much as possible cause it doesn't work well. I also have a gale force 9 12-piece Sculpting Set and a mixture of odds and ends that I use for tools. Sadly there is 1 tool from the set that I use for 90% of what I do and it isn't sold separately. When possible I use plasticard and apoxie-sculpt. Hope this helps!

Librarian

Vaseline/petroleum jelly ALWAYS for GS. you dont need much a pocket pot will do you for ages and a big hand cream sized pot will do forever
    you can find clayshapers/colorshapers in most craft stores and on ebay worldwide.... these are like paint brushes but are soft but firm silicone, multiple types of edges in the combo packs from chisel tips to rounders (making curves) and brush shaped wedges perfect for slowly making grooves like capes.

try to avoid filing and sanding unless you mix milliput with it, as GS is quite flimsy and will peel and rip when filed, any detail filling (finger prints or cracks) are best filled with liquid GS or watered down milliput.

the GW sculpting tool is handy for basics, but a decent range of bladed tools and pin tools come in handy (dental pick style tools are great for fur and fine scoring), though are not needed at all.

if you are doing large areas and want to smooth out gs silicone sheets work well, pound shops over here sell silicone oven trays 9"x 4" plenty room for GS flattening.

since you are in the UK try hobby craft for the shapers, i got my 1st ones for the same price as 'model' paint brushes (not GW brushes, but proper sable model size 00-3's)

Keeping the green stuff wet is very important in getting it smooth. Also make sure to find a sculpting tool that you are comfortable working with. If you are doing larger areas I recommend using Apoxie Scuplt. It dries harder and is a lot easier to sand.

Chaplain

I love colorshapers! They are highly recommended.

I tend to mix GS with Apoxie Sculpt to combine the best of both worlds. Learned this trick from some fellow Broodbrothers! Nivea hand cream is also very nice for tool lube.

Here is the blog were I learned alot of tips and tricks: [url]http://modernsynthesist.blogspot.ca/search/label/How%20To%20Sculpt[/url]

Veteran-Sergeant

Thanks guys!

A lot of things to look at. Time to go shopping this weekend me thinks!

Thanks again!
    Trying to build a tau army
    How long will this take