BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    It means that at the start of the movement phase, before anything has actually moved, you get to do a series of things.
    Roll for reserves, cast certain powers, determine outflanking moves and so on.

You as the current player get to choose the order in which they are done.

Once they are done, you then move you units, starting with any that are arriving from reserve.
    Got it... glad we haven't been playing this wrong for years! Not surprised a tourney player may misinterpret this. Being a tournament regular doesn't automatically make someone a rules master.

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    I've always played that you can not use blessings when you arrive from reserve but this is on pg 7 of the main rulebook FAQ.

Q: Blessings are manifested ‘at the start of the Psyker’s Movement
    phase’ – does this mean they happen simultaneously with Reserves
    rolls, Outflanking rolls etc and if so which is resolved first? (p68)
    A: They do occur simultaneously – as such, the player whose
    turn it is decides in what order these things occur as per
    page 9 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

So... what does this mean?
    It means that you can choose in which order you roll for any reserve units, start-of-movement Psychic powers, and other abilities.
    Note that this allows you to choose to enter with a unit, and then cast a Blessing upon it.
    Also note that there is a SEPARATE restrictions on units that have entered from Reserves, preventing them from manifesting "start of movement phase" powers such as these Psychic abilities, so the unit that is casting the Blessing must have been on the table before the start of the Movement phase.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    It means that you can choose in which order you roll for any reserve units, start-of-movement Psychic powers, and other abilities.
    Note that this allows you to choose to enter with a unit, and then cast a Blessing upon it.
    Also note that there is a SEPARATE restrictions on units that have entered from Reserves, preventing them from manifesting "start of movement phase" powers such as these Psychic abilities, so the unit that is casting the Blessing must have been on the table before the start of the Movement phase.

Well we haven't been playing that way but it does seem to make sense...

First-Captain

thanks for the answers guys - there goes the Hemlock from "maybe marginally useful and fun" to complete trash... *sigh*

Well, looks like I dun frakked up. I guess we just took it as rolling for reserves being one and the same as entering from reserves, I'll keep that in mind from now on. Btw, when I said he was a tourney vet, i didn't mean to imply he was infallible, merely that he had played a lot of games and presumably seen things like this come up a lot, and knew what the consensus was.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Stoogey View Post
    Well, looks like I dun frakked up. I guess we just took it as rolling for reserves being one and the same as entering from reserves, I'll keep that in mind from now on. Btw, when I said he was a tourney vet, i didn't mean to imply he was infallible, merely that he had played a lot of games and presumably seen things like this come up a lot, and knew what the consensus was.
    Hope I didn't come across as negative. I've frequented small-medium sized tournaments for years now and there is no way I have 100% of the rules down. I actually doubt (and don't expect) the majority of tournament players to know everything either between frequent updates, FAQs and overall vague wording...

Well a strong willed person can sift the consensus of a group... so it may not be really a consensus but rather one persons thoughts. Also if a rules interpretation comes from someone that runs a store or works at one people tend to give it more weight. They should not but its assumed that since they deal with games as a job they should know more than the average person.

Personally I think that the rule should have been that they buff up just as they are about to enter combat zone... and so should be able to enter with a Blessing. I mean for a Psychic to enter a battle zone without a blessing up is sort of like a regular troop entering without his gun loaded, or his armor unbuckled with helmet off... oh wait we see that helmet off thing all the time!

Don't forget the skimmers and bikes who zoom into position right before battle and then cease all movement until their turn comes around

"There they are, brothers! Assault squad - halt!"

"Halt? Um, Brother Sergeant, didn't you mean full throttle? These motorbikes are a lot harder to hit when they're moving ..."

"Time enough for that later, Brother. Just wouldn't be sporting if we counted as moving before the first shots were fired, now, would it?"

Chaplain

My reading is that it's saying that you can choose whether you cast psychic powers before or after reserves.

Therefore you can roll for reserves and then cast a power on a recently arrived unit using a psyker that was already on the table and that had not arrived that turn per the rules for manifesting powers.

Agree/Disagree?

Edit: Lol ok need to refresh the page a bit more frequently between reading and commenting at work
    Last edited by pgarfunkle; 06-12-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Lots of comments between me reading and posting

Agree. I am not certain whether you can go back and forth, though. I think you need to decide whether you're doing all your reserves first and then casting powers, or casting all your powers first and then doing your reserves.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast