BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default The "Solitaire-Autarch"

[URL="http://www.3plusplus.net/2013/06/the-solitaire-and-a-standard-eldar-ally-template/"]SirBiscuit over at 3++ may be onto something...[/URL]

For those of you who didn't catch it in my last article, a Solitaire is an Eldar Autarch that has purchased the Mantle of the Laughing God, a Jetbike, and a Laser Lance. That means that (as long as he moved or is touching cover) he has a 2+ cover save that he gets to reroll, he has 5 WS6 S6 AP3 attacks on the charge, and he has Hit and Run. Of course, he gets all the goodness for that comes with having a jetbike as well. He does, however, lose his IC status, and he is stuck with terrible S3 AP- attacks outside of the charge. (I like him with the Banshee mask as well, for reasons I'll go into later.)

That adds up to a unit that has to be used as a scalpel, in support of a larger force. While he's not going to break armies on his own, he's an invaluable asset not only to many Eldar forces, but as an ally.

Ally Template
    Autarch (Jetbike, Mantle, Laser Lance, Banshee Mask)

9x Jetbikes, (3x Cannon)

9x Jetbikes, (3x Cannon)

That's an nice 506 points that will slot well into just about ANY build- it's so fast, and brings such nice benefits and firepower, that it will be a boon to just about any list. (If the Jetbike Squads are only 6xbike2xcannon, it's 384 points, 3x1x is 262, and still excellent. Of course, you can also save 5 points, if you don't like the Banshee Mask like I do.)

You can use this not only to harass the enemy, but to bring some extremely fast scoring and contesting units. It is frankly a little crazy good. It's also a solid foundation in which you can season to taste with other ally units: a Fire Prism, perhaps, or some Warp Spiders. Maybe go all-out on the bikes and bring some Shining Spears. Keep that speed mojo going.
    There's lot more, but that's the short version.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Veteran-Sergeant

I have been running one in small games. I usually gie a fusion gun and banshee mask. not a bad way to spend 150 points. run around with a 2+ rerollable cover and pop stuff. always going first and hitting on 3's.

I add fusion gun for the occational back field tank popping, nothing liek the ability to pop a land raider as an ancilary benifit

Chapter-Master

I still think that Falcon Wings and the Warp Generator is funnier. Why settle for only 36(?)" of movement, when you can move 50+"?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    I still think that Falcon Wings and the Warp Generator is funnier. Why settle for only 36(?)" of movement, when you can move 50+"?
    T4, don't want to instagibbed by str 6

Chapter-Master

Bah, but you move 6+2D6+48".
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Can we call it the Solitarch? anybody?

No?

...i'm going to call it a Solitarch.

Bah, but you move 6+2D6+48".
    Actually you move

6+2d6+d6+2d6

Chapter-Master

Falcon Wings let you run 48".

Falcon Wings let you run 48".
    Ahh I see now were we are crossing in the dark

its not Falcons Wings its Faolchu's Wing

I thought that you were referencing swooping hawk wings, which you couldn't wear in addition to the warpjump generator (at least to my knowledge)

Also if you use the warpjump you run the risk of never coming out of the warp, as you are the only random model in the unit...
    Last edited by z3n1st; 06-14-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Well you don't have to use it in the movement phase and still get the 2d6 assault move. I've tried a Solitaire Farseer on a jetbike, it is pretty cool to jump about casting guide/ prescience and whatever random 3rd power you get
    Donate to the Free Isha Fund today! Bathe regularly and help disinfect the warp with clean dreams.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast