BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Thanks Nabterayl. I am just a cop. I didn't get it too wrong. I'm just not as cool as you are!

Quote Originally Posted by LordGrise View Post
    This is what GW should have done in the first place, IMHO. Going to trial was simply stupidly short-sighted.
    Not really, at all.

CH don't have high quality. GW as with any company have to defend their IP. Buying out a cheeky git isn't defending your IP...

And also, thank you to Nab's for a very informative post, without going into too much legally jargony words!
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 06-16-2013 at 04:00 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    GW as with any company have to defend their IP.
    Forgive my ignorance, but how does this affect companies like Avatars of war and Gamezone? I know that they have a serious stick up their rear about both companies (not trying to poke fun at GW here) but the impression I got from chatting with various sculptors, artists and design heads from GW at gamesday, left a rather bitter taste in the mouth on the subject of other companies and variant sculpts.

That I am aware of (and I know very little on this) gameswokshop have had issues with avatars of war, the skaven equivalent being the biggest (or the one that caused the most amount of animosity), but so far they have not taken any kind of action (or if they did they failed) against that model, but have against another (and apparently succeeded).
    Every saint has a past, every sinner, a future.

The difference is that Avatars of War and Gamezone weren't stupid enough to pick a fight with GW. So selling a mutant ratman that looks a lot like skaven is one thing, but when you refer to it as Skaven they get a bit angsty.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Yup.

Think about how you'd google for it.

Say I wanted, erm.... squigs. They're uniquely GW, model and term. Thus if I google for squigs, responses are likely to be GW Squigs.

Now, company x likes squigs, and decides to do some of their own. They call them 'fungal bouncey gobs'. Unlikely to hit up on a Squig search.

But, company y does the same, and calls them squigs....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I'd call them 'adorable evil mutant fungus frogs'.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post

And this is what google images yielded

@Mr Mystery thanks for the clear cut explanation, that makes it a lot more clear as to why AOW was forced to drop the Lizardman.
    Every saint has a past, every sinner, a future.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Tempted to take up sewing and that, in an attempt to make cuddly Squigs!

I love Squigs me!

Ditto, I own all the GW and FW squig models.

Got Mangler Squigs, and come Friday definitely purchasing a Squig Gobba. Might use it as a Scraplauncher stand in!

Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast