BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 462
  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rabscutle View Post
    By saying "All Games Workshop products mentioned are Trademark Games Workshop" the same way after market product makers have been doing in every other industry since, ya know, ever.
    Depending on how you mean that, that doesn't work. For instance, if I sell shoulder pads that are compatible with <insert GW trademark here>, I can't call them "<trademark> shoulder pads," slap a disclaimer on my shop that "<trademark> is a trademark of Games Workshop" and be done. I am still, in effect, claiming that my shoulder pads are Games Workshops'Attribution isn't a get-out-of-infringement-free card.

    I can say, "shoulderpads compatible with <trademark>" because that is a factually true statement. There is really no way to make that statement without using the trademark, so the law allows me to do so. I am still technically using the trademark (I said/printed the word, logo, or whatever), but I am only doing so to make a true statement about the characteristics of my product.

  2. #12

    Default

    Far to long has GW had a straggle hold on bits for their models, considering that Forgeworld was suppose to fill that void. Let the floodgates open and let the bits flow. As long as the main model and weapons are correct, I see no problems with using bits supplied bu another company.

  3. #13

    Default

    I'm actually very glad GW lost the claim on the Croc ogres, I found out only the other day that GW sued/tried to sue avatars of war for the lizardman sculpt I did, they didn't target any other model (or if they did, they lost the claim), but went straight for mine, which was making me seriously dread the Dragonblood project.

    As a company to work for, they are despicable, the way they treat potential employees is disgusting, I've had test sculpts sent to reaper miniatures and had feedback along with other little treats like copies of artwork and $100 of free minis, where as GW have not returned some of the greens I sent them, claiming to have mailed them, only for nothing to arrive.

    I'm happy with that part of the result at least, it gives me hope that I can carry on with Lizardman based sculpts for companies like Troll forged and Avatars of war without fear of persecution, especially as I do my best to avoid IP rips.
    Last edited by Build; 06-14-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    Every saint has a past, every sinner, a future.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Build View Post
    I'm actually very glad GW lost the claim on the Croc ogres, I found out only the other day that GW sued/tried to sue avatars of war for the lizardman sculpt I did, they didn't target any other model (or if they did, they lost the claim), but went straight for mine, which was making me serious dread the Dragonblood project.

    As a company to work for they are despicable, the way they treat potential employees is disgusting, I've had test sculpts sent to reaper miniatures and had feedback along with other little treats like copies of artwork and $100 of free minis, where as GW have not returned some of the greens I sent them, claiming to have mailed them, only for nothing to arrive.

    I'm happy with that part of the result at least, it gives me hope that I can carry on with Lizardman based sculpts for companies like Troll forged and Avatars of war without fear of persecution, especially as I do my best to avoid IP rips.
    And this is precisely why GW should never have opened that pandora's box.

    I'm glad that you now have better legal footing to continue your work.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    So out of those 251 challenged items above, CHS came out on top with 161. I guess CHS are only 35% lying thieving talentless scum then. Hope they enjoy the $25k.
    I could not agree more, no matter the legal ramifications of this verdict, my opinion remains the same. All of these companies have set themselves up to sell parts that should not exist if GW doesn't want them to as it's perfectly clear that these people are bottom feeders abusing the bizarre legal situation of 3rd party parts in other manufacturing sectors. In the end I see this as more closely related to selling a chip based on pre-existing apple ideas that haven't been put into practice yet that makes an iPod operate differently than it does now, as opposed to creating a set of headphones entirely of your own spec and design that happen to work on an ipod. One is abusing the inability to patent common knowledge by skimming some off the top to use an ill fitting expression, the other is inciting fair competition by demonstrating superiority of your design.

    Ultimately this is why I have respect for Mantic games but not CHS. Mantic games are making models that are blatantly expy versions of long standing warhammer fantasy, 40k and bloodbowl concepts, however they've gone out of there way to do the right thing and demonstrate that although we are setting ourselves up as competition and we aren't doing anything original, our interpretation of long standing fantastical ideas (and the same ideas IN SPAAAACE) is different enough to be said to be our own. yes it's knockoff war hammer but it's a genuine knockoff, it makes no attempt to deceive or to emulate beyond that of a shared heritage.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    So out of those 251 challenged items above, CHS came out on top with 161. I guess CHS are only 35% lying thieving talentless scum then. Hope they enjoy the $25k.
    I agree entirely

  7. #17
    Veteran-Sergeant
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowelife101 View Post
    I could not agree more, no matter the legal ramifications of this verdict, my opinion remains the same. All of these companies have set themselves up to sell parts that should not exist if GW doesn't want them to as it's perfectly clear that these people are bottom feeders abusing the bizarre legal situation of 3rd party parts in other manufacturing sectors. In the end I see this as more closely related to selling a chip based on pre-existing apple ideas that haven't been put into practice yet that makes an iPod operate differently than it does now, as opposed to creating a set of headphones entirely of your own spec and design that happen to work on an ipod. One is abusing the inability to patent common knowledge by skimming some off the top to use an ill fitting expression, the other is inciting fair competition by demonstrating superiority of your design.
    Bold emphasis mine.

    Your argument is invalid.

    No offense, but you're being a complete hypocrite with your statements here.
    CHS basically makes different headphones that fit GW models than what GW makes.

    Using your example, Motorolla, Samsung, HTC, et all would require Apple's permission in order to make smartphones. Even though their products are different than Apples iphone.

    Same goes for the after market car parts. All those manufacturers would need Ford, GM, Mercedes, etc... permission. NEWS FLASH: They don't. And neither does CHS. You may not like it, but that's how it is. There's nothing stopping you from starting your own bits business or after car parts business if you wanted to.

    Nerd rage away all you want, but you're in the wrong plain and simple.

    Welcome to the real world GW. Where your **** DOES STINK!
    Last edited by theHman; 06-14-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Poked fun at GW for being hypocrites.
    Visit my blog for painting tips, WIPS and other cool junk - www.paintyominis.com

  8. #18

    Default

    Now this does have implications on there art on websites selling there products too

  9. #19

    Default

    Before people get too excited remember we're still awaiting final judgement, we don't know what things GW won or lost yet specifically and if CHS can even survive having $25K sucked out of their bank account.

    Oh, and this ruling only affects future rulings in the US so people in Australia, the UK and Europe? They have to fight their own legal battles.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Sigh, there is competition, it is called Warmachines, Flames of War, Infinity etc.

    Once again the hobby is table top war gaming, GW are just one producer. 40k is not the hobby.

    In the same way, playing call of duty isn't the hobby, but video gaming is.
    True... so true...

 

 
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •