BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default A new sculpting log of madness

So...

Well guess I'm back in the sculpting saddle, got loads of things I want to try my hand at and plenty more materials to use in sculpting.
    I'm starting off with a number of different pieces, hopefully juggling a maximum of two at a time and seeing how things go from there. My plan at the moment is to balance one production miniature alongside a private piece.

My main two at the moment is the champion for the Bull dragon bloods (piccy below) and another Miriael Sabathiel (this time in demon prince form, or sort of a cross between the two, the general idea is a bit like a mockery version of the living saint).

Loads more after that including Gotrek with his axe and the Dwarven hammer of fate, warp spider exarch, Howling banshee/Wyche (think Howling banshee exarch who has got bored with behaving), a new Vampiress to replace my old one (old one will then be going to Harry on Warseer), more dragon bloods and loads and loads of lizardman pieces including Krok Gar and Grymloq sculpt from the ground up.

Also, as an FYI, chances are that with the dragon bloods there might be little shown for a while, this is because everything has to go through Felix before I post images, sorry but that's part of the contract terms and conditions, which is understandable.

But for the moment, here's some juicy artwork, it should give you an indication of where I'll be going with the sculpts and hopefully something you'll like.

If it helps I'll be chucking in plenty of WIPs too, even from armature stages, though don't expect any tutorials, it's damn tricky trying to take photos and sculpt at the same time.

I should also add, any questions or help that I can offer, just ask, I will do my best if you're having trouble with conversions/sculpts of your own.

EDIT: and finally I forgot to add this.

Had a go using super sculpey firm, nice but very heady due to the turpentine you have to use to make it workable in miniature, not something I wold recommend, especially as you get limited time using it, but on the plus side, for sort and quick projects, it's VERY good.

Here's Krok Gar's spear in super sculpey.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	super_sculpey_firm_practice_by_backsackandjack-d68f5no.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	4229  
    Last edited by Build; 06-16-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    Every saint has a past, every sinner, a future.

Yay! Always love seeing your work. *flails excitedly*
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Iron Father

Fantastic, I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little envious of your artistic skills with the sculpting. But at least I get to follow your log . Very much looking forward to seeing the results. Especially Gotrek. Firm favorite of mine.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    Fantastic, I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little envious of your artistic skills with the sculpting. But at least I get to follow your log . Very much looking forward to seeing the results. Especially Gotrek. Firm favorite of mine.
    Hopefully you'll like it, I've been stuck/procrastinating for ages on the right sort of look for a piece, too dynamic can look awkward and means things don't rank up well or look too out of place, however I quite like this pose., which is where I got the idea for including the hammer of fate from.

Although I have had no luck in finding an image of what the Dwarven hammer of fate looks like from demon slayer.

@Eldar girl,

I hope you approve, the banshee/Wyche idea if it goes well should look really good, I had an idea from these two images.
    and something both graceful and deadly, though sculpting a moving razor flail that moves around her like a gymnastic ribbon is going to be very interesting...

Brilliant, can't wait.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Very much looking forward to those models
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Iron Father

Just out of interest Build, are these one offs, or do make casts of these models. I would be interested in Gotrek . I think that Diablo pose is perfect too.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    Just out of interest Build, are these one offs, or do make casts of these models. I would be interested in Gotrek . I think that Diablo pose is perfect too.

At the moment anything I do which is direct GW IP is just going to be a one off as casting can present some issues. This is where it gets tricky, even with the recent Chapter house case. If I did a blatant carbon copy of Gotrek (which is more tempting) then I can't sell it or casts of it, I can however legally cast it and give copies of it away as no money is changing hands, so in theory GWs pockets do not get emptied.

If I went the Dwalin route (short mohican rather than the traditional GW slayer mohican) and made sure the runes and designs on weapons and such were not GW infringing, I could cast it and sell copies. However Gw could still challenge me, while I don't like them when it comes to their views on competition, the last thing I want to do is stoke any fires.

@SotonShades, thanks mate, hope you enjoy.

Anything I do sculpt that goes to companies or if I decide to privately cast I will say so as soon as I start the project though, just trying to cover my own arse as best as possible.

Chaplain

Smallish update...

First off, I hate grass, looking like a 28 days later extra is not helping.

Secondly, I've had some good feedback from Felix on the first dragon blood, sadly I have to complete much more of it before I can show you all some images, but images should be worth the wait (with any luck).

Working on constructing the armatures at the moment, I take a lot longer now with these than I used to in the past. A good reason for this is if the pose doesn't look dynamic enough at armature level, then it won't with detail on either and there's nothing worse than cutting bits back just to try and compensate, it completely destroys your enthusiasm in the project.

Anyways, if it helps I've included a few images for the Miriael sculpt, the idea was to take her changes to chaos a little further, kind of like she has started down the road to demonhood but not quite reached it and her looks being a stark contrast to the living saint, a mockery and stab at the pride of the Adepta Sororitas.

So for the Slaaneshy armour designs and patterning I was having a look at this.

And for a more general look I was thinking something along these lines, but with the wings being more bat like rather than feathered. I was also thinking about adding more armour than this one has, it always seems silly to me to have some many vital areas exposed and unprotected, might as well just hang a big "please shoot here" sign on them. The shoulder pads would be decreased in size, the iron halo would probably go too, as I said above I was thinking about keeping the overal design consistant to what current sisters of battle have, just tweak it to add that chaos touch here and there without going into the whole sticking tongue out on every single chaos demon mini look.

Thoughts, suggestions and musings welcome.

Brother-Sergeant

Looking forward to seeing what's going to come out of this!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast