BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First-Captain

Default Armour Pen Question?

This has been debated as long as I can remember and it always annoys me.

For example let's say I have a vehicle with armour 10 and my strength is 10. This is the two ways I seen it resolved.

1. 10+1=11 which means a pen. Strength 10 vs armour 10 is an auto pen and rolling really doesn't matter.

2. A roll of a 0ne is an auto fail. Armour pen works like wounds and rolling a one means you failed to pen.

The problem with the auto fail concept is it's not in the bok, and armour pen is calulated with d6+ strength.

My question is if strength is equal to the armour value than is it an auto pen or is it a fail.

Things like a Vindicare Assassin turbo round. If you roll a one on a pen it doesn't count, or if you rend and roll a 1 that does not count either.

For this one referance would be nice. That means snake eyes on psychic powers does not wotk, oh wait the book covers that.

I am in the auto pen camp. I don't see how a one fails to do anything on a pen roll.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    This has been debated as long as I can remember and it always annoys me.

For example let's say I have a vehicle with armour 10 and my strength is 10. This is the two ways I seen it resolved.

1. 10+1=11 which means a pen. Strength 10 vs armour 10 is an auto pen and rolling really doesn't matter.

2. A roll of a 0ne is an auto fail. Armour pen works like wounds and rolling a one means you failed to pen.

The problem with the auto fail concept is it's not in the bok, and armour pen is calulated with d6+ strength.

My question is if strength is equal to the armour value than is it an auto pen or is it a fail.

Things like a Vindicare Assassin turbo round. If you roll a one on a pen it doesn't count, or if you rend and roll a 1 that does not count either.

For this one referance would be nice. That means snake eyes on psychic powers does not wotk, oh wait the book covers that.

I am in the auto pen camp. I don't see how a one fails to do anything on a pen roll.
    Find the rule that states a roll of one always fails....(It doesn't exist in this context)

really chicop just read the rule book it tell you how to do this in black and white.
    Last edited by daboarder; 06-16-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Find the rule that states a roll of one always fails....(It doesn't exist in this context)

really chicop just read the rule book it tell you how to do this in black and white.
    That's what I said, but posting it here it involves a third party who would hopefully say the same thing I said. I even said it doesn't exist by the way. I can read till my eyes pop out, but people like to see things in black and white. Also a third party answering the question is helpful.

Especially when said rulling only really benefits me a lot more than them, but it's an argument with how many people. It's easy to debunk the 1 always fail thing. The problem is things like ignore cover says says rolls to wound and ones fail on rolls to wound.

In other words ignore cover doesn't work on vehicles.

The rule book doesn't cover that. Raw vehicles can't lose cover saves to ignore cover.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

That's what I said, but posting it here it involves a third party who would hopefully say the same thing I said. I even said it doesn't exist by the way. I can read till my eyes pop out, but people like to see things in black and white. Also a third party answering the question is helpful.

Especially when said rulling only really benefits me a lot more than them, but it's an argument with how many people. It's easy to debunk the 1 always fail thing. The problem is things like ignore cover says says rolls to wound and ones fail on rolls to wound.

In other words ignore cover doesn't work on vehicles.

The rule book doesn't cover that. Raw vehicles can't lose cover saves to ignore cover.
    the difference is that vehicle rules state that they take cover saves "as if they had suffered a wound" so the author didn't think it needed double stated that ignores cover does what it says on the tin.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Banned

Well, this would be a case where it would be a burden on both peoples involved to find it in the book. If nothing else, if the discussion takes too long, roll it off and look it up afterward (or have someone else present look it up).

In this case, the rules for Armour Penetration say nothing about how rolling a 1 always fails to Penetrate or Glance. Therefore, Str 10 vs Armour 10 will always count as a Penetrating Hit.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Well, this would be a case where it would be a burden on both peoples involved to find it in the book. If nothing else, if the discussion takes too long, roll it off and look it up afterward (or have someone else present look it up).

In this case, the rules for Armour Penetration say nothing about how rolling a 1 always fails to Penetrate or Glance. Therefore, Str 10 vs Armour 10 will always count as a Penetrating Hit.
    That's what I said. It says add together and give you 3 scenerios when you do. He is in the wound section pointing out the roll of a one fails to wound. I said vehicles can't be wounded, than the ignore cover rule is brought up, which means vehicles can't be wounded.

That's the argument in a nut shell. I can quote to back up my argument and he can too.

This is one of those occasions where the rulebook being hard covered and heavy comes in REAL handy.

Tell him to open at the page where he thinks the rule is then slam the sucker on his fingers, HARD !
    Last edited by Magpie; 06-16-2013 at 10:49 PM.

If his argument is, "Well of course vehicles can be wounded, because otherwise Ignores Cover wouldn't work against vehicles," I don't find that very persuasive. Whether or not Ignores Cover works against vehicles is an open question.

Chapter-Master

It's not a to-wound roll. There's a distinct difference between to-wound and to-penetrate. Tell him that next time he fails a leadership test, if he rolls a '1' he fails, because a roll of a '1' always fails.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

It carries the same logic as if you roll for difficult terrain and get a 1.

You still get to move 1" you don't fail the roll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast