BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default How to kill a Wraithknight

I have an idea on how to kill a WK, in 1 turn. Take a nurgle daemon prince, give it a bale sword, wings, and zoom it toward the WK, then go first, 4+ poison it, and instant death it. Done and dusted, 300+ odd points gone.

Thoughts?

Occuli Imperator

There are multiple ways to kill a Wraightknight. But consideration needs to be given that the Eldar player has forced you to deal with the knight at the expense of everything else. If it were a distraction, you have brought that, your prince is out of position near the enemy lines and would be ripe pickings.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Not to mention your unit costs nearly what the Wraithknight does....

Also i'm not sure it can move that fast, especially since your plan relies on you going first, in which case your opponent can deploy to counter it.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Ah, but the prince will have wings so it can catch up with the WK. Also, give it exalted rewards to up its survivablity, then the eldar army shoots at it, and not the other beasties moving up the board.

Chapter-Master

Maybe.

But to me this isn't a "to kill a wraithknight". This is "too kill any unit i don't like". Swarmlord, Tyrannofex, Command Squad, that tank that screws you over

Its an alpha strike tactic that kills anything
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by flashkid123 View Post
    Ah, but the prince will have wings so it can catch up with the WK. Also, give it exalted rewards to up its survivablity, then the eldar army shoots at it, and not the other beasties moving up the board.
    And then the eldar player will laugh after you sink more points into your model, only to have it countered by 20 models from his troops section. Guardians wound anything on a 6, at ap2. We loves your MC's.

Chapter-Master

Depending on the configuration, don't think about "killing" it; think about "neutralizing" it. If you don't present it with good targets - i.e. you are mostly an infantry army and it has wraithcannons - you can afford to ignore it more than most. If you have sacrificial units - of which Tyranids have in abundance above all others - then just send them in (if you can catch it) while dealing with the rest of the army. I've found that shooting at it with a few heavy weapons here and there simply will not work; it is all or nothing, and for a unit with that price tag, I really don't think it is worth using an entire army (what it usually takes) to try and kill it in one turn. A smart Eldar player will play on the fact that it is scary and use it as the ultimate fire sink.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

If your talking about neutralising it, take a mastery 3 psyker and hope you get puppet master. Imagine the look on the other players face! Their suncannon obliterating their precious *insert good eldar unit her*.

Chapter-Master

Being in range, casting the power, deny the witch....hmm. Isn't it a witchfire that has to roll to hit as well? Seems a bit too....unreliable, to me. Useful, obviously. I don't have the rulebook at hand, but I think it would be pretty easy for a Wraithknight to stay out of range.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Veteran-Sergeant

most wraithknights will not be 300 points, if they take sun cannon/scatter laser for 5++ it will be 300, but melee knight with 5++ is 250 and 2 heavy d cannon is 240.

stock 240 is generally considered the best way to go so yea even if sucessful they will be in a great spot to light the prince up with serpent fire and/or reaper fire

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast