BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

For the most part, I don't see a need to single out the Wraithknight. As others have commented, most of the means of killing the Wraithknight are the same means I would use to kill any Monstrous Creature or particularly troublesome unit. I think the mobility of the Wraithknight limits your melee options to Flying Monstrous Creatures if you want to engage it in a reliable way. I suspect most people will kill it thus:

1. Shoot it with appropriate with mid to long range, high strength AP-1 or 2 weapons (or Poison) and attrition it as much as possible.

2. Engage it with deadly FMC which strikes before it to finish it off. *Or unit with poison in melee to kill it by volume.

Fly Lord

It's totally killable - it costs the same as a Land Raider after all. Like the Raider, you can certainly kill the thing, but you are going to have to try. Its not going down to incidental fore from piecemeal units.

I agree with Reecius who is both one of the best Eldar players in the world and a personal friend. The Wraithknight is an auto-include because it offers something the Eldar codex didn't have before, a combination of speed, resiliance, and a player-fear inducing weapons loadout.

It's main value will be not the actual killing it does, but the zone/board control it gives the Eldar player. It's fast enough to stay out of most trouble, yet potent enough to make players think twice before moving units peicemeal into its zone of control - which gives the Eldar a perfect tool for winning missions and managing objectives.

Only the Wraithlord, or the older 4th Edition Holo-falcons had that kind of resilience in the past, and neither was as good as the Wraithknight.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    How many of these "methods to kill it" are things you'd include in a standard all comers list? WOuld you run these units in a tournie, or just if you knew you were facing one of these beasties
    I think this speaks volumes to its survivability, its not that it can't be killed, but did you opponent bring the tools for the job, especially when he is facing it from across the table at a tournament.

I repect Reecius and his comments on the Wraithknight, it has made me re-consider it as more than just a centerpiece, although I still don't know about its true versatility. I have watched the BatReps he posted, the wraithknight wasn't bad in any of them, but neither was it I think OMGAMAZING!

Maybe a batrep with it pitted against the Tau gunline and the also against the FMC/Hound rush, using the same list and then see just how amazing or meh it is. I am sure Reecius has access to buddies with lists like those, consider that a challenge on their behalf! I would love to see the reps

Chapter-Master

Are you kidding? In the one against CSM Nurgle his Wraithknight killed a Daemon Prince, 4-5 Obliterators, and then sprinted across the board to kill a unit of cultists that was going for an objective that nothing else in Reecius' army was in position to reach. And he did it all while rolling absolutely terribly. I don't know how much it killed in the other games, but it was always doing something useful. I know against IG Frankie wasted a couple of turns of firepower shooting at it, and the Wraithknight got into his deployment zone and wiped out his remaining scoring units and prevented him from chasing after the Relic, so even if it didn't kill its points it had a solid performance.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Are you kidding? In the one against CSM Nurgle his Wraithknight killed a Daemon Prince, 4-5 Obliterators, and then sprinted across the board to kill a unit of cultists that was going for an objective that nothing else in Reecius' army was in position to reach. And he did it all while rolling absolutely terribly. I don't know how much it killed in the other games, but it was always doing something useful. I know against IG Frankie wasted a couple of turns of firepower shooting at it, and the Wraithknight got into his deployment zone and wiped out his remaining scoring units and prevented him from chasing after the Relic, so even if it didn't kill its points it had a solid performance.
    I'm not kidding. I think the Wraithknight is a fine model and very durable. I'm just saying that is the best option for CSM to kill it (or anyone). You attrition what wounds you can prior to hitting it with something solid and hopefully turning it off before it gets to retaliate.

Seriously, Sainhann? Go to frontpage BOLS. Click on the latest article by Reecius, one of the best Eldar players there is. See what he has to say about the Wraithknight. You do not know what you are talking about.
    I don't, interesting since I have been playing Eldar since when they first came out and that was what 23 years ago. So I know Eldar and I know what is needed to kill things. Oh and I do know what I am talking about.

Sure if your opponent is running an Elite or vehicle heavy army the Wraithknight should do quite well. But against the Imperial Guard army that I tend to run it will not do well because I only run with a few low point Chimera's and a ton of troops.

Sure it not built to take out a Wraithknight since it is built to take out vehicles that get to close to my troops. It has nothing but cannon fodder in it.

But Sniper's, Poison attacks, Las Cannons, Wraithquard, Fire Dragons, Terminator's with Shields, troops with Melta Bombs etc... can kill a Wraithknight and some of them can do it in one turn or just one shot.

Chapter-Master

Like everything in the game some army builds will absolutely hate the Wraithknight and others will giggle with glee when it is deployed. The all comers army that I dread facing in tourney's is Dark Eldar... I believe they come down on the 'giggle with glee' side when the Wraithknight comes out.

Q. How do you kill a Wraithknight

A. Same way people have been killing Wraithlords for the last 15 years, except twice!

Moving On!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    I'm not kidding. I think the Wraithknight is a fine model and very durable. I'm just saying that is the best option for CSM to kill it (or anyone). You attrition what wounds you can prior to hitting it with something solid and hopefully turning it off before it gets to retaliate.
    I meant literally, you said you didn't think the Wraithknight performed particularly well in any of the games, despite one where it killed like 600pts on its own and denied an objective to the enemy. That specifically is a pretty good performance.

Edit:

The all comers army that I dread facing in tourney's is Dark Eldar... I believe they come down on the 'giggle with glee' side when the Wraithknight comes out.
    Take a couple Wave Serpents, and you'll practically auto-win that matchup though. Mechdar is super-awesome against DE. That's one bad matchup you can wave off (heh, pun).
    Last edited by DarkLink; 06-19-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I meant literally, you said you didn't think the Wraithknight performed particularly well in any of the games, despite one where it killed like 600pts on its own and denied an objective to the enemy. That specifically is a pretty good performance.
    I didn't say that? Did I? I don't remember commenting on how well the darn thing performs at all.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast