BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Keep Wraithknights stock. Eldar can do AP2 elsewhere for cheaper. The Str10 guns make the Wraithknight more flexible than super-expensive blasts, and you don't really need the Invulnerable save.

Quote Originally Posted by flashkid123 View Post
    I have an idea on how to kill a WK, in 1 turn. Take a nurgle daemon prince, give it a bale sword, wings, and zoom it toward the WK, then go first, 4+ poison it, and instant death it. Done and dusted, 300+ odd points gone.

Thoughts?
    How do you assault turn 1 if you go first?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

How about 300 points of Eldar Guardians? How many Shuricats is that?

It's nearly impossible to have a Daemon Prince in charge range on Turn 1, especially if the Daemons go first, unless the opponent Scouts or Infiltrates further into the middle of the table. The Nurgle Prince (which are excellent w 3 Biomancies and Balesword) would usually need to Swoop 24" and then Glide/Assault Turn 2. Assuming it nixed the Wraithknight (decent assumption unless the WK is not in cover or gets hit w a Skull Cannon first) then the rest of the Eldar army would be free to shoot the crap out of the Daemon Prince, in which case it would probably die.

If possible, I think a better way would be Krak Missiles, after Enfeebling, and Vector Striking too. Massed Vector Striking can be a very good use of FMCs.

Puppet Master is 24" range I think, so very unlikely to be cast in Turn 1 if the Daemons go first. It does not roll to hit, as it's a Malediction, but that would be pretty awesome to turn the WK onto its own brethren pointy-heads. But with S10 or other ID weapons on the table, I go for Biomancies in the hopes of Iron Arm.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by flashkid123 View Post
    I have an idea on how to kill a WK, in 1 turn. Take a nurgle daemon prince, give it a bale sword, wings, and zoom it toward the WK, then go first, 4+ poison it, and instant death it. Done and dusted, 300+ odd points gone.

Thoughts?
    My thoughts are that this will not work... In a GK, SW, DA, BA, BT, or SM army.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Killed three in the last week in the exact same way: Drop Pod Sternguard. 20 Hellfire rounds hitting on 3's + wounding on 2's = Dead Wraithknight and first blood.

10 Sternguard within 12" of the knight (and presumably the rest of the eldar army), means you traded a 285 point unit for a 240-250 pt unit, and although your chances are very good to take it out (or make it mostly dead and thus vulnerable to a cannon or two), I am not sure how trading 'knights' is a good strategy

Maybe a better question/challenge is how do you kill the wraithknight with: the least amount of points/least amount of risk

Lets assume you have the same amount of points to spend and keep it at base cost for the knight: 240 pts
    Last edited by z3n1st; 06-18-2013 at 01:13 PM.

You kill a wraith knight the same way you kill tyranid big bugs...

1. Sternguard in a pod...2+ poison *20 shots...he will fail 3+ saves
    2. Dark eldar...lances or poison...shoot the lances 1st and make him give up saves (obviously re think this if his toe is in area terrain)...I like trueborn with the duke or even normal warriors in a raider with racks...heck take 20 warriors give them a hemo, the duke and a conceal farseer or spirit seer....(obviously points heavy but meh)

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Freedom View Post
    Killed three in the last week in the exact same way: Drop Pod Sternguard. 20 Hellfire rounds hitting on 3's + wounding on 2's = Dead Wraithknight and first blood.
    Yup. Of course, I don't know why he didn't just reserve the Wraithknight. But whatever.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Also the average of 20 shots * 2/3 hit *5/6 wound *1/3 failed saves is only 3.7 so you have to get pretty lucky to put it down in one round as it has 6 wounds. If it has the suncannon (a fairer points comparison), you will lose most of the sternguard in return fire and/or get kicked to death in assault (only 1 wound on average even with the full squad firing on overwatch, subtantially less if the eldar shoot you a bit first)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Yup. Of course, I don't know why he didn't just reserve the Wraithknight. But whatever.
    First one: I had an Achilles on the table. Only thing she had that could kill it reliably was the Wraithknight and, in the opinion of my opponent, it had to die before the Thunderfire cannon could open up.

Second Time: They won first turn roll off, it's just that I seized.

Third: Same scenario as the second.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast