BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by isotope99 View Post
    Also the average of 20 shots * 2/3 hit *5/6 wound *1/3 failed saves is only 3.7 so you have to get pretty lucky to put it down in one round as it has 6 wounds. If it has the suncannon (a fairer points comparison), you will lose most of the sternguard in return fire and/or get kicked to death in assault (only 1 wound on average even with the full squad firing on overwatch, subtantially less if the eldar shoot you a bit first)
    I lucked out.

2 venoms with dual splinter cannons each does the trick for me. 75 each as I do love me my night shields. Takes em out in 1-2 turns depending on whether I roll unnaturally horrible or not.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Freedom View Post
    Killed three in the last week in the exact same way: Drop Pod Sternguard. 20 Hellfire rounds hitting on 3's + wounding on 2's = Dead Wraithknight and first blood.
    your dice were grea tthen... plus you probably have more points in that squad than your opponent does in the wraithknight.

statistically you have 13.3 hits 11.1 wounds 3.7 unsaves wounds

as far as investment you have 10 sternguard at 250 in a 35 point pod. 285... unless they go with the most expensive loadout you would reasonably take (suncannon/shield and scatter laser at 300). even then they will punk you in an assault the next turn unless you already softened it up with a few mroe woulnd which means they are still probably going to rain down a shuriken death on the sternguard.

it is certainly a way to deal with it, but seems mroe along the lines of your oppenent should statistically be coming ahead in this exchange.

Didn't feel like devoting my two predators to the death of the Wraithknight when there were two Wraithlords stomping around as well.

So many ways to drop him in just one round of shooting.

But here are two ways to do it with just one shot.

Illic; shoots needing 2+ to hit and then rolls a 6 bang one shot kill.

A Squad of Wraithguard disembark from Wave Serpent and like Illic all they need is to roll a 6 on a wound roll.

As for other ways there are Snipers, Las Cannon Heavy Weapon Sections can drop him fairly quickly.

A real smart Eldar player would not even take one because there are so many better choices in the Heavy Support, War Walkers, Fire Prism's (can get two of these for nearly the same point cost as a naked WK.

It only has two shots unless you really want to spend the points and only has four attacks and will need 4+ to hit most things in Close Combat.

So sucky firepower and not a Hand-to-hand model either with a okay save except when being hit with AP 3 weapons.

Oh and good thing this is not 2nd or 3rd Edition because can we say Vortex Grenade. Lost my Avatar many times to that.

No if you are facing an Eldar player with one of these on the table ignore it and go after his other units. Once they have been dealt with it should be easy to kill then.

Chapter-Master

Seriously, Sainhann? Go to frontpage BOLS. Click on the latest article by Reecius, one of the best Eldar players there is. See what he has to say about the Wraithknight. You do not know what you are talking about.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sainhann View Post
    S
    Oh and good thing this is not 2nd or 3rd Edition because can we say Vortex Grenade. Lost my Avatar many times to that.

No if you are facing an Eldar player with one of these on the table ignore it and go after his other units. Once they have been dealt with it should be easy to kill then.
    Yeah its a good thing this model wasn't released 15 years ago, or it would not have been any good....

As for "ignore it". If you've got an army that can ignore the firepower that thing puts out with no problems...good for you.

Your reasons for not taking one are the same as every other MC. Or Vehicle (why take a land raider? I could shoot it once with a lascannon and roll a 6!)
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

A vanquisher or two with Beast Hunter Shells, 72" BS4 Twin-linked (co-ax rule) S8 AP2 Instant Death.

Take an Armored Company as allies and have a couple of these with standard Russes for troop choices.

As a nid player I can only speal for my Codex.

I enfeebled one so it took a couple of wounds from a lot Devourers and was tarpitted by Termagants. My buddy was using a Revenant Titan instead I think you'll agree it looks kind of comical

I had a brain fart and was also convinced the Termagants could wound it, for some reason I keep thinking they're St4, once we reinstated the two wounds I thought they'd caused a Warp Speed Tervigon came in and smashed it to pieces.

However, that's still a lot to bring it down, the Termagants as a tarpit was neat but I did think Tyranid Shrikes with Toxin Sacs, lash whips and boneswords or, a Prime with LW+BS with warriors with boneswords might do it for less than the cost of the Wraithknight. Wounding on 4's and no armour saves seems a possibilty for unit of 3 Warriors - 12 attacks on the charge, but I may be missing something I don't have the Wraithknight stats or Tyranid Codex to hand.

Chapter-Master

How many of these "methods to kill it" are things you'd include in a standard all comers list? WOuld you run these units in a tournie, or just if you knew you were facing one of these beasties
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast