BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Warp Storm created Herald getting Psychic Powers? y/n

When the Storm kills one of my Psykers and a Herald appears (a roll of 11), does that Herald get a psychic power (as we are well past the 'generate Psychic Powers' step)?
    It does state that the generated unit gets no upgrades...but a Psychic Power roll (or even just the Primaris)?

Most heralds have to buy a mastery level as an upgrade anyway, so definitely no for them. I think the answer is still no for heralds of Tzeentch. Even though the herald is a mastery level 1 psyker by default, as you say, we are past the generate psychic powers step.

I'd allow it, but I don't think it's in the rules.

I would say that the Herald has to roll on the table if it comes with Psychic powers. So a HoT who arrives like this could roll, or at least that is how I'd play it.

Librarian

I encountered this recently and my opponent took Psychic Shriek and killed off several Wraithguard. This random roll on the Warp Storm table in turn 1 (he went first) killed my Farseer/Warlord and 3/5 of Wraithguard. It was a crushing blow, all before I could even react.

I will say that, if you can't roll for a Herald of Tzeentch, there's basically no reason to ever manifest one even though you get the choice.

Either way, there's no way that Herald of Tzeentch should have gotten Psychic Shriek. Change and Divination only for HoTs.

I'd say that rolling for psychic powers is not an upgrade and that the units generated by the warp storm are treated like normal units, you would have to be allowed to generate psychic powers for the Herald.

I'd give just the Tzeentch Primaris personally, that result is nasty enough already

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    I think the answer is still no for heralds of Tzeentch. Even though the herald is a mastery level 1 psyker by default, as you say, we are past the generate psychic powers step.

I'd allow it, but I don't think it's in the rules.
    Scrolls of Magnus lets you generate new powers, so there are no restrictions on timing of generating new ones. If a ML1 psyker gets created, then he should have one power.

Hmmm ... I think I accept that as a closer precedent than the bare pre-game setup order. Still no way I can see for a Herald of Tzeentch gets Psychic Shriek, though, JMichael. Might want to remind your opponent which disciplines HoTs get access to.

Chaplain

Here's the problem. When does the rules tell us to generate psychic powers? Answer: After determining warlord traits and before deploying forces. Does a created Herald list rules changing this?

For sake of "the Herald can", I would say it gets a random primaris power from one of the two disciplines. Or randomly 'keep' one of the replaced psykers powers.
    When you hear hoof-beats, it's best to think horses not zebras.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast