BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Hmmm ... I think I accept that as a closer precedent than the bare pre-game setup order. Still no way I can see for a Herald of Tzeentch gets Psychic Shriek, though, JMichael. Might want to remind your opponent which disciplines HoTs get access to.
    My bad. It was not Psychic Shriek, but the Tzeentch Primaris Power. It was his Keeper of Naughty Secrets that had the Shriek.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Xenith View Post
    Scrolls of Magnus lets you generate new powers, so there are no restrictions on timing of generating new ones. If a ML1 psyker gets created, then he should have one power.
    How do you acquire a Scroll of Magnus after the game has begun? I thought they were purchased as an Upgrade When you designed the army, and then you rolled for the psychic power when all the others were being rolled - at the start of the game?

I would not allow the upgrade, unless all you had was a Tzeentch herald, and then in a friendly game, I would let you use the Primaris power (level 1 psyker).
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

The Scroll of Magnus allows you to generate new powers during the game mate.

You buy it as part of your army but use it during the game at the start of each turn.

The generation of a psychic power by a model that has Mastery Level 1 included in its profile is NOT an upgrade, it is something included in his profile/stats/standard loadout. So if the lucky Warp Storm roll is obtained and successful in generating the Herald, and the Daemons player chooses a Herald of Tzeentch, they Herald rolls on either Divination or Tzeentch tables for 1 power. Mastery 1 means the psyker must have 1 power.

Chaplain

But where are we told to roll for a power? Where are we told a Mastery 1 psyker has to have a power?
    When you hear hoof-beats, it's best to think horses not zebras.

BRB, Page 66: "Unless otherwise stated, a Psyker knows a number of psychic powers equal to its' Mastery Level."
    BRB, Page 142: "Before either player deploys their army, you must generate psychic powers for your Psykers."

I think, under the strictest reading, the HoT doesn't get a power, with the 'you must' clause on 142 being an 'otherwise stated' type of condition for 66. However, I could possibly see rolling a power at the start for the as-yet nonexistent Herald, with the caveat that since you rolled for it, you've effectively already chosen your Herald, and so the first 11 you roll *must* spawn that HoT with the chosen power.
    Last edited by DWest; 06-25-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

I think a far simpler method is to realise that as the Herald doesn't exist before deployment of both armies you can simply roll for his power prior to his deployment.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    BRB, Page 66: "Unless otherwise stated, a Psyker knows a number of psychic powers equal to its' Mastery Level."
    BRB, Page 142: "Before either player deploys their army, you must generate psychic powers for your Psykers."

I think, under the strictest reading, the HoT doesn't get a power, with the 'you must' clause on 142 being an 'otherwise stated' type of condition for 66. However, I could possibly see rolling a power at the start for the as-yet nonexistent Herald, with the caveat that since you rolled for it, you've effectively already chosen your Herald, and so the first 11 you roll *must* spawn that HoT with the chosen power.
    But now you just made a rule to facilitate the resolution of another vague rule.

I still believe the simplest solution that has the least impact is that the Herald player will randomly roll for a discipline and get the primarus power of that discipline.

As far as the quoted pages…both have qualifiers. “Unless otherwise stated…” and “Before either player deploys…” both limit the following rules. The lack of “Do X for a created HoT” can be seen as a statement that nothing happens when it’s created. “Before deployment” easily limits the “must” of the rule.

First-Captain

If it wasn't for the scroll of magus I can see not being able to roll for abilities. Due to the scroll it shows you can still generate powers outside of deployment.

The problem here is you are a master 1 psyker, so you must have a power. Any start of movement phase powers is debateable if you can use them or not, but shooting phase powers can be used after deepstrike.

Chaplain

But the Scroll is a specific item that allows you to generate powers outside of the normal rules. While it does show there is a instance of exception to the rules, it does not prove you can just generate powers whenever we feel like, some has to tell us to generate powers outside to the norm. As far as I can tell, the warp storm rules do not do this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast