BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Tau + Eldar 1800 allies - Mech'Zilla?

Something ive been considering since the Eldar book came out and just thought id hammer out a quick idea to see how some combo's may work.

Tau (Main Detatchment)
    ------------------------
    Shadowsun
    Command Link Drone - 155

Kroot x10 - 60
    Kroot x10 - 60

Riptide
    Ion Accelerator, Early Warning, Velocity Tracker - 210
    Riptide
    Riptide
    Ion Accelerator, Counterfire Defense System - 190

Eldar (Allies)
    ------------
    Spiritseer - 70

WarpSpiders x10 - 190

Wraithguard x5 - Scythes - 210
    +Wave Serpent - Holo Fields, Vectored Engines, Shuriken Cannon, TL Laser - 160

WraithKnight
    Sword/Shield, Scatter Laser + Starcannon - 290

Tactics are simple. BIG THINGS!!!!! Big things that go boom, Big things that go Zoom and other big things that make other things go Boom! Hopefully all the while distracting my opponent from A. Picking on my poor Kroot, and B. Making sure theyre slow to realise the Threat that 10 Warp Spiders with Stealth/Shrouding can be.

Ever since i saw the Eldar were coming with Jetpack infantry i wondered if there was a decent combo there and i think this is it. Shadowsun and 10 Spiders. Not as fast as Spiders on their own however what the Spiders Lose in being unable to Warp Jump, they gain in Shadowsuns Warlord trait. Not to mention a 4+ Cover save in the Open!

Top that off with my personal favourite unit of WraithScythes with their Psyker Buddy in one of them there new fandangled Wave Serpents and i think it could do well.

The Knights build is open for consideration. I built him Combat because its what the Force is missing more than anything. I could save some points and go Bare Bones, or even more expensive, but i dont rate any of his main weapons. The WraithCannon is just a S10 gun, and 2 shots can easily miss where as with 3 Ion Accelerators, i dont think i need to bother with the Sun Cannon.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sonikgav; 06-18-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Love it. Looks awesome.

Reminds me of a mechwarrior assault mech rush.

Chapter-Master

Upgrading the Wraithknight is a trap. You don't need the shield, because you should be playing with enough terrain that you'll never need to worry about getting a cover save on an MC. And in assault, anything that can reliably kill a Wraithknight can do so regardless of the 5++ and you should avoid that unit anyways. Taking the Sword/Shield actively nerfs your shooting.

Long range Str 10 is pretty unique, and worth keeping. You don't need a couple more measly Str 6 shots, nor would you need the Suncannon's blasts. You do need to keep it cheap, and more long range high Str is never a bad thing.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Ok ive taken it apart (slightly), as per the advice above ive stripped down the Wraithknight, The Wave Serpent and Shadowsun have lost a little Gear but ive put it into something that may help.

Shadowsun - 135

Kroot x10 - 60
    Kroot x10 - 60

Riptide
    Riptide
    Riptide
    Ion Accelerator, Early Warning - 190

Sniper Drone Team
    +2 Marksman - 84

Spiritseer - 70
    WarpSpiders x10 - 190
    +Wave Serpent - Holo Fields, Shuriken Cannon, TL Laser - 145
    WraithKnight - 240

Total = 1799

I LOVE Sniper Drones, but in this instance theyre here for the Markerlights. 3 BS5 Markerlights is more reliable to me than a unit of Pathfinders or a unit of MarkerDrones (though feel free to contest the point), but what i like about them is the Decent amount of threat they have combined with the Stealth rules to make them more surviveable. I was gonna take 4 Drones and 2 Spotters but if theyre primarily for Markerlights i figured thats the way to go and the Drones can be Ablative Wounds that kill while they can.
    Last edited by Sonikgav; 06-19-2013 at 08:28 AM.

The Tetra or two if you could wiggle the points to get another in would be a good addition

Hmm, a pair of Tetras is tempting.

If i drop the Snipers and 1 Warp Spider i can afford the two. Thats kinda interesting. Hadnt considered Forgeworld, kinda forgot it was (usually) Tourney Legal too. I mean as much as i love the Sniper Drones theyre there for Markerlights primarily, and 2 sets of mobile, 4 Shot Markerlights seem like fun, plus they come ready made with Disruption Pods, thats even better

Ok, one last edit.

Shadowsun - 135

Kroot x10 - Sniper Rounds - 70
    Kroot x10 - Sniper Rounds - 70

Riptide
    Riptide
    Riptide
    Ion Accelerator, Early Warning - 190

Tetra Speeder - 50
    Tetra Speeder - 50

Spiritseer - 70
    WarpSpiders x8 - 152
    +Wave Serpent - Holo Fields, Shuriken Cannon, TL Laser - 145
    WraithKnight - 240

Total = 1797
    Last edited by Sonikgav; 06-22-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Ok one final opinion wanted for this list.

Shadowsun will run with the Warp Spiders. What im considering is dropping them to just 7 and adding Shadowsuns Command Drone. So which is better. 1 extra Spider, or a tougher (relatively speeking) body in the unit giving them (or a more suitable unit) a reroll to their 1's to hit?