BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you or your opponents play better with models you have taken the time to paint?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I feel it makes a difference

163 86.24%
  • No. Painted or unpainted makes no difference to me

26 13.76%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Do painted models play better?

It sounds like a daft question, but I was wondering if you feel like you play better with models you have taken the time to paint? Or do you tend to "look after" and play more thoughtfully the models you have put a lot of time in to painting during a game?

I'm not great at painting miniatures, but because I started airbrushing model planes when I was 6 or 7 back in the 80's I'm now awesome at vehicles as some of the younger players at my club tell me. I also sell a few of my pieces regularly so I guess I must be okay. For stuff I intend to keep I often spend weeks masking, airbrushing, stenciling, highlighting etc until I get it just right and as a result I feel I play those units more carefully and thoughtfully. I've never fielded a purely undercoated vehicle/suit/mini so can't really compare, but there are a few players in my club who field what I can only describe half mangled pieces of GW plastic that look like they used a paintball gun to paint, or in some cases have been unbelievably badly undercoated with a black or white spray can. More often than not these players lose quite badly compared to similar armies that have been painted. It's not about the quality or skill of the painting, but that the player has put time on their models

Brother-Sergeant

Of course painted figures perform better!* EVERYONE knows that!!

*unless it is thier first game - in which case they will suck!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by PaD View Post
    Of course painted figures perform better!* EVERYONE knows that!!

*unless it is thier first game - in which case they will suck!
    This. Absolute truth.

They work better if you talk to them, and if you give them names sometimes to. Berate them when they screw up and praise their successes.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

A really extravagant model however can become a fire magnet that you opponent takes pleasure in destroying before it gets to fire a shot (stupid warhound titan )

Don't know if they play better, but models painted even to a basic standard look about 95,000 times better than grey plastic.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Librarian

its just the same as new model syndrome, and converted bullet magnets...

whenever you plonk a new model, fresh painted squad or your new conversion down on the table EVERY shot that may wound/damage/kill, WILL!

my friend and i had a little game a while back, neither of the armies were fully painted BA v orks... but my friend has a new dread... and he was just twitching to get it into action..... 2nd turn my plaslas razorback one shots it with the lascannon LOL in fairness though he did wipe my bikes out in one turn too (my new unit)

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    This. Absolute truth.

They work better if you talk to them, and if you give them names sometimes to. Berate them when they screw up and praise their successes.
    yep - talking to them definitely works! Had one game against IG where his Heavy Weapon squads didn't hit anything for three turns in a row. He threatened to have them executed for cowardice and incompetence, put a spare Commissar with the perfect pose (gun drawn, other hand behind his back - you know the one) behind them to emphasize his point - and they promptly blew up one of my tanks next turn... (we even agreed the squad would get a single re-roll for the turn because of the Commissar, but should they fail again he would carry out his threat and execute one of the teams... guess it worked^^)

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    This. Absolute truth.

That is not the case, Frank the Missile-Man is an abosulte boob. He has failed to hit Valkryies, Monoliths, Tyrannofex and a LBT while being stood 1" away.

If you need a target hitting, Frank is not your man. He could miss the broadside of a barn.

I do think playing with (nicely) painted minatures on a proper board helps forge the narrative, in my group, the partially painted or badly painted are taken as casulaties first, or swapped over with a better painted..
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

I've found that, particularly with Tyranids, the better they are painted, the scarier they are to face. My buddy has an awesome looking fully painted Tyranid army, and people simply lose their minds against it.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Based on my research, there is quite a bell curve on the army, on how well they perform based on how well they are painted compared to the rest of your army. Lets say you have a normal, tabletop standard army. If you add an unpainted unit, it is guaranteed to suck, roll poorly and die inexplicably. On the other side of the curve, if you put lavish detail and attention onto a single model compared to your otherwise normal army, that one unit will go down like a chump for the first few games. Fortunately, "newly painted shiny model" syndrome has been demonstrated to wear off after time, while "grey ugly model" syndrome requires drastic measures to cure. Like painting.

Tl;dr: Paint all your models, and you will play better. True story.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast