BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Eldar Fluff from new codex - anything new?

Is there any new fluff in the Eldar codex? I'm pretty new to the game, but I read through the old codex. I flipped through the fluff in the new, but it seemed to be pretty much the same.

Brother-Captain

Because they have a low birthrate they'll kill a twin so they can make a Wraithknight that can get soulstones for all those infants that aren't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by bfmusashi View Post
    Because they have a low birthrate they'll kill a twin so they can make a Wraithknight that can get soulstones for all those infants that aren't happening.
    You really need to apply to the Four Horsemen of Derailment for that elusive fifth wheel spot.
    "I play Eldar, why? Does GW make any other good armies?"

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho11 View Post
    Is there any new fluff in the Eldar codex? I'm pretty new to the game, but I read through the old codex. I flipped through the fluff in the new, but it seemed to be pretty much the same.
    Well the fluff on Craftworld Altansar has been adjusted slightly to take into account that the 13th Black Crusade is now 'the future' rather than 'the past', and there's obviously new fluff written for the new units, but there's not much overall fluff change from the previous codex.
    There's more new fluff in the Iyanden supplement than there is in the main dex to be perfectly honest.

Veteran-Sergeant

Well I did notice that they did incorporate a few things from the "Path" novel series. They are small details and I can't recall most of them off the top of my head. One thing that I do remember is that they discuss in more detail how Aspect shrines came to be and how they operate. Also the story of Karandras fighting Ahra is fleshed out a little more. As is the determination of what souls get to be wraithguard/lords. Honestly though, most of the "new" fluff is in the Iyanden supplement.
    Donate to the Free Isha Fund today! Bathe regularly and help disinfect the warp with clean dreams.

Librarian

In the previous codex, the Black Library was only mentioned, and no battles for it took place.
    in the new codex, the black Library battle (Harlequins v Thousand Sons) has the Harlequins/ Eldar forces winning, but apparently now has closed off a portion of the Webway as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickelz View Post
    In the previous codex, the Black Library was only mentioned, and no battles for it took place.
    in the new codex, the black Library battle (Harlequins v Thousand Sons) has the Harlequins/ Eldar forces winning, but apparently now has closed off a portion of the Webway as a result.
    Something interesting, the black library is thought to be a craftworld of its own in the new codex. While I should be an expert on my main armies fluff, I don't recall the black library being called a craftworld before this codex. There is so much out there I just may have missed it in my reading.
    "I play Eldar, why? Does GW make any other good armies?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bitrider View Post
    Something interesting, the black library is thought to be a craftworld of its own in the new codex. While I should be an expert on my main armies fluff, I don't recall the black library being called a craftworld before this codex. There is so much out there I just may have missed it in my reading.
    Pretty sure it was described as such before but it's not really saying too much, if Commoragh was mobile it could probably be described as a craftworld as well. It is thought to have been constructed after the Fall at any rate.

Another new thing I noticed is that the Eldar shut off warp travel for other races during the millions of years that their empire lasted. This kept the number of Orks and Humans down and made the galaxy a peaceful place. When the Fall happened this warp-disruption stopped and the Emperor could start the Great Crusade.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Marzillius View Post
    Another new thing I noticed is that the Eldar shut off warp travel for other races during the millions of years that their empire lasted. This kept the number of Orks and Humans down and made the galaxy a peaceful place. When the Fall happened this warp-disruption stopped and the Emperor could start the Great Crusade.
    not exactly, the creation of slaanesh within the warp from the eldars excess shut off warp travel, the fall cleared the tumult and thus ended the 'age of strife', same fluff as has ever.