BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 130 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    I 100% agree with this sentiment.

There are sooooo many games of Bugs where I win on turn 5 and on. It takes 4 turns for the Freight Train of Doom to get going, but once Turn 4 is coming around, half my army is destroyed, and the opponent starts to realize that they cannot win.
    Depends on the deployment. I find myself running a lot. I also found that outflanking with a Tervigon is rather nice, he may not spawn or be able to use half it's powers the turn it comes in, but the following turn it puts a lot of preasure on your opponent. If you deep strike a Trygon or two with it that's a lot of added pressure from that flank.

Due to how long nids get across the table I have found deep striking may be a solution to that problem. If you running a swarmlord and paid the 25 points on the tyrant you can easily get units in on turn 2 even with negative modifiers. Hince why I wish for drop pod models. The doom and trigon works great doing this, not a fan of the mawlock. I want to deep strike my gaunts, maybe devil gaunts in as well. The turn 2 deep strike assault would disrupt the enemy and allow you to be on the aggresive much sooner.

I am thinking of using spore mines more since it also disrupts the players deployment. Armies like Tau can take decent losses almost before turn one's shooting phase.

The problem with deep striking some armies have a lot of fire power. Which mean they can possibly win if they go first and be able to wipe the nid player off the board.

That being said I use the deathleaper and it always does well. What are you going to shoot at the doom, trigon, or the deathleaper first.

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post

That being said I use the deathleaper and it always does well. What are you going to shoot at the doom, trigon, or the deathleaper first.
    People can move in their deployment creatively to make things difficult for the Doom. They have to shoot the Trygon before he gets into combat, or just stuck a very tar-pitty unit in his way (like Wraithguard...which munch him if they are the Scythes). The Deathleaper is sort of worth worrying about, but I'd wager they shoot Doom before him. Deathleaper just does cute things, whereas the Doom can be lethal.

All in all, with how much firepower is going around these days, I say it's not uncommon to shoot all three before any of them do real damage. Though I've faced opponents in this edition who simply shoot Tervigons down turn one, shoot the first things that Deep Strike in turns 2 and 3, and then blow holes in the remainder of the army from that point on. Hitting their lines with just a Swarmlord-star and a few gaunts is sad times for a Tyranid player.
    Ask about painting commissions and more!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by doogansquest View Post
    People can move in their deployment creatively to make things difficult for the Doom. They have to shoot the Trygon before he gets into combat, or just stuck a very tar-pitty unit in his way (like Wraithguard...which munch him if they are the Scythes). The Deathleaper is sort of worth worrying about, but I'd wager they shoot Doom before him. Deathleaper just does cute things, whereas the Doom can be lethal.

All in all, with how much firepower is going around these days, I say it's not uncommon to shoot all three before any of them do real damage. Though I've faced opponents in this edition who simply shoot Tervigons down turn one, shoot the first things that Deep Strike in turns 2 and 3, and then blow holes in the remainder of the army from that point on. Hitting their lines with just a Swarmlord-star and a few gaunts is sad times for a Tyranid player.
    Actually I think people should be worried about the Trygon which I should had said was a prime shooting into your units with the help of enfeeble. Meaning that he is wounding most models on 2s via shooting. If you want to throw wraith guard into a unit that re rolls to hit and at worst wounding on 4s, can wound on 2s with enfeeble and furious charge I say go ahead. Not saying I would deepstrike near Wraith Guard since that units shooting can eraze the Trygon rather easily or really hurt him, hince why if I am lucky I can have invisibility or halluncinate to protect against that unit. Anyway I usually avoid plasma gun heavy units or units that can shoot to death my baby, or shoot the hell out of them.

The Doom is awesome for a lot of reasons. If you want to spread your army out to reduce the Doom's effects that means it will be easier to pick on an isolated part of your army. Half the reason I don't bother with Mawlocks, which runs quite well with the Doom, and great against Wraith Guard. Anyway I have learned placement is important with the Doom. Use the drop pod to block line of sight from everything that can instant kill it, or reduce the majority of the instant killing weapons heading it's way than it is awesome, it also forces the player to kill the pod to try to instant kill the Doom. I typically try to keep the Doom in combat since it can have strength 10 attacks and it's abilities can work while in combat, can't shoot at it if it's locked in combat, also assaulting it can be a bad move as well unless the assaulting uni have decent invulnerable saves and have strength 8 or higher attacks.

The Deathleaper shouldn't be ignored. A guard player learned that when I took out a russ, 2 bascalisk, and a vendetta with one before. Those strength 6 rending attacks are great for destroying vehicles, note assault the vehicle whilst still in terrain. Eve in combat with rending on 5s it's pretty brutal, helps to be a character as well. If you accept the challenge the Deathleaper have a real good chance of winning most character on character fights, once all the characters are gone it can typically mop up on most units, typically units that range 10 or under, units reaching 15-30 usually does well vs the deathleaper. As a side not the leaper vs some units they need 5s to hit and to wound which makes it great for ripping units apart.

Everytime I run the Deathleaper it easily earns back it's points. In an average game I can get it to earn back double, but like I said before it can earn tripple, and higher. It also pays to enfeeble units in close combat against the leaper, meaning marines wound on 5s. I typically try to reduce squads down via shooting to allow the leaper to wipe out the squad by challenging it to death. Also as a side not it does disrupt movement and reduce leadership on psykers who can be leadership 9 one second and be leadership 6 till my leaper is gone. It's great against Ethereals which I can negate their leadership 10 aura.

I havn't had a hard time vs shooting armies since with nids especally I use a lot of cover. Tau does strip cover, but can't strip it from all models at the same time. Typically if I kill the pathfinders and the commander the rest just falls apart. Which is important that the main part of my army run like they never run before. For example if I run with my tervigon turn one and was able to get 9" from the model, spawn gaunts 6", and move them another 6" that's 21" they just crossed. In turnn two they can easily shoot back or assault, typically I have them wait for multi assaults than assault all at once, they can get rapid fired to death, but that's life, or assaulted.

With my Tervigons I find myself having to run with them a lot, the same for my tyrants as well. Which means turn 3 my big monsters can be ready to assault, which is good since turn 2 I have units tied in combat at this point.

I think it helps that I am a Tau player when I face Tau. Typically I know what tactics to get me the win. Only armies that give my 6th nis trouble are Grey Knights, Necrons and Orcs. On a side note Ocrs is a lot easier to deal with using nids of the currant codex that nids from the older codex. The problem vs orcs from the older codex was simply the orcs had better models at the same cost, while now I can debuff them and buff my gaunts which my gaunts can rip them apart now.

From faeit, so take with seasoning:

[url]http://natfka.blogspot.com/2013/08/t...25132241370373[/url]

Looks like the Tyranids are undergoing a major photo-op right now.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

chico the last time you were complaining about doom you said you had decided to do nids next, so what you werent playing them in 5th? so how do you know why people weren't playing htem in 5th? because of your own reasons? no doogan was pretty right when he said the last nid release was basically dead from the word go. Nids went from being the top selling xenos army to one of the lowest pretty much over night.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    chico the last time you were complaining about doom you said you had decided to do nids next, so what you werent playing them in 5th? so how do you know why people weren't playing htem in 5th? because of your own reasons? no doogan was pretty right when he said the last nid release was basically dead from the word go. Nids went from being the top selling xenos army to one of the lowest pretty much over night.
    By the numbers (which I sometimes get to see), it's true. Tyranids fell flat in the sales department (a slight boost with the release of the plastic Tyrant and Tervigon/Tyrannofex kit).

In tournaments they were dead last in win percentage from almost the moment they launched. The books released around and after them were particularly devastating to their cause. IG could table them without losing a single model; Space Wolves auto-won in every phase, and let's not even talk about how Grey Knights looked in late 5th edition. Tyranids had weak anti-armor in an edition full of tanks. Tyranids had expensive MC's in an edition of cheap 5-man squads that could wield special weapons everywhere. Tyranids had load of T4 creatures in an edition of inexpensive krak missiles, power fists, and meltaguns.

There were other reasons, including a book with less than 33% of it's units having any usefulness whatsoever

6th edition gave Tyranids a bit of a boost, but mostly just thanks to BRB stuff, and nothing really unique to them. This codex is absolutely necessary, and hopefully it will be soon. Orks at least had a run as one of the most competitive and varied armies for several years.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    1. I started nids at the end of 3rd/ begining of 4th and stayed with them till the begining of 5th. I started playing them at the end of 5th and recently during 6th. The Doom is something I didn't start using until the begining of this year.

During that time I Started with Tau, than Eldar, than Nids, Than Ig, Than sisters, than Grey Knights, than daemons. After I got to Daemons I rotated back and forth between armies a lot. Nids and Tau for example are two armies I started playing up again.

Honestly two reasons I stopped playing nids was due to times tournaments, and I had half my army stolen/ destroyed in a car crash, lost all my genestealers, warriors, zonathorpes, ravengers, and my forge world winged tyrant.

However that didn't mean I never played against nids or played against other nid players. I do admit I have to travel at times which I may not play 40k for months at a time, but I still kept with tourney results and nids still did better than armieslike Tau last edition. Heck they was around Dark Eldar when Dark Eldar got their book.

However no one is producing facts to prove their points and ony throwing out opinions. I am just speaking from experance and saying the tyranids was one of the worst armies is a very strong statement when I still see them win tournaments in 5th. It reminds me of Daemons when I first played them before everyone jumped on the ban wagon.

@Doog: I recall they didn't win ardboys, but they placed in the top 10 the year they came out. I remember them doing so since I clearly remember me playing in that tournament dealing with dooms, and the new warriors.

I would agree to the sells dropping part, because again when the codex came out you could only use half of the codex. The Tervigon, Harpy, Tyrannofex, doom, drop pods, pyrovore, venomthorpe, swarmlord, and other units wasn't out.

The fact your dakkafexes jumped in price by almost double, and to run 6 you had to run them in broods which sucked due to 5th edition wound allocation.

Besides genestealers most nid players was pretty much forced to buy the new candy which they didn't have models for. Again this is over looked.

I will name a few 6th edition armies to get my point across.

Tau: basically the same except buy a riptide which they have a model for. Even without a riptide you can still do well with what you already had.

Daemons: besides buying more models your army may had changes, but you pretty much gravy, unless you went heavy flamer and screamer, even so screamers are still solid. You still don't have to overhaul your army.

Eldar: if you been playing Eldar you would had spammed serpents anyway which the shift in 6th wuld change little. The only differance you could chose to play guardians instead of dire avengers. Over all not much army change from before. Unless you went all pathfinders, which isn't as good as before.

Chaos: buy a bird and take a guy with your army marks and buy the new dreadnought things and you are golden.

Dark Angels: not much change here really besides maybe getting a special character or equipment.

I can go to 5th as well

Necrons: buy flyers and barges. At the time no flyers which barges was good enough anyway. Flyers came just in time for 6th, so they was good to go.

GreyKhights: if you was pure knights than not much of a change besides the flyer and the baby carrage which was out with the book.

Dark Eldar: sadly besides some nerfs is pretty much the same, unless you really wanted to run beastmen and wracks, or grotesques which cost you an arm and leg.

When you get to nids you couldn't win with an al genestealer army due to them not being able to take out higer armour values.

I don't see where you get lack of armour from. Besides the MC's destroying armour in close combat they have the best anti-tank weapon in the game. Drop pod zonathorpes can take out vehicles rather easily in 5th. Not to mention those strength 8 shots coming from the hive guard.

The problem was the fact to run drop pods you had to make them. Same with Tervigons. If you have tomake a good portion of your army it will take longer for you to play it. Buying and putting models together is easier and quicker than reserching and puting a model together from scratch. I bought the book and didn't play nids in a good while since I at first rather wait till the models come out. Aftr a few months realizing said models are not coming out is when I started making Tervigons, etc. Reminded me of the stupid waveserpent that you had to buy from forge world.

Exepensive MC's really. The tyrant, crnifex, and the tyrannofex I can give you that, but since most people was uing Mawlocks, Trigons, and Tervigons I disagree. For 200 points or less I can run a 6 wound toughness 6 models which at the time wasn't a bad cost. Daemons which was around 250-300 for a 4 wound MC would beg to differ, well old clean one was under 200 with 5 wounds. The Avatar was the only cheap MC or Wraithlords, or Necron Spyders. Unless you was running tyrants and carnifexes than I can say you was running expensive models. Keeping in mind you creating free units and have really cheap troops.

I seen 4th edition nids get tabled. I rarely seen 5th edition nids get tabled. Not saying armies like missle spam space wolves couldn't do it. Just saying they didn't get tabled that much with 3 or more tervigons on the table. If you concider that the Tervigon would have a +4 feel no pain save than it will take 20 missile shots at bs 4 to kill a tervigon, which wil cause d3 wounds which on average will kill 5 gaunts per unit, even less if in cover or they have fnp.

From experance I lost a few 5th edition games with nids, not that many which was due to kps which spawing more nids would give out points. I can say I never bee tabled.

I fought 5th ig and did rather well blowing up their tanks, deathleaper did good work which was way better in 5th.

Chapter-Master

Anyone else see the Tyranid play-test rules for HQs and Elites on Faeit? They are obviously accurate, as they were from the guy that was telling us about 19 point Pink Horrors with the Mark of Tzeentch and unkillable Greater Daemons only a few days before the current Daemon book dropped

Tyranids should and probably will be one of the bigger releases model and rules-wise, they need a complete overhaul to make all of the options in the book effective and balanced. I've gotten sick of spamming Tervigons and I'll not be playing with my 'Nids until the codex drops, though that is mostly due to me not wanting to buy any models until I know what the rules are. I don't think they are releasing in November, but probably January or February.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Veteran-Sergeant
    The Phalanx (Royal Berkshire, Great Britain)

I can't wait to see what the new tyranid monstrous creature/big kit is. Norn Queen maybe? Whatever it is I can't wait to hit it in it's face with a thunder hammer ;-)

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

I don't think we need a complete overhaul

sure our fluff needs re-written so its back like the 4th ed days where we were the harbingers of the end times, instead of the punching bag of the galaxy.

But other than that the list only needs tweaking and options these days. a few point adjustments (fixing the lictor, harpy and pyrovore) mostly minor stuff.

I'm not convinced we're getting a big kit, I have a feeling the Harpy is going to be our flier/big kit and the rest will be a push to get the elites away from finecast.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 10 of 130 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast