BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 130 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Honestly I think lack of models hurted the nids this codex around. You had like 20 units with no models for which really hurted the army. However if time wasn't an issue the army is a pretty strong force to fight against.

I am just waiting and hoping the new dex wil be good. I may get the forge world flyrant again to replace the one that got destroyd.

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    Honestly I think lack of models hurted the nids this codex around. You had like 20 units with no models for which really hurted the army. However if time wasn't an issue the army is a pretty strong force to fight against.

I am just waiting and hoping the new dex wil be good. I may get the forge world flyrant again to replace the one that got destroyd.
    That, and 3/4 of the units were just unplayable, but Tyranids players had to play some of them anyway to fill the points. Mono-build codices are no fun, and Tyranids have been the epitome of that for some time now.
    Ask about painting commissions and more!

Brother-Captain

These rumours sound amazing... I really hope this is true. The main thing, I suppose, is that the things are appropriately priced though. Come on Carnifex, we want you back!

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    These rumours sound amazing... I really hope this is true. The main thing, I suppose, is that the things are appropriately priced though. Come on Carnifex, we want you back!
    I want to see more fex's as well.......I miss playing against Nidzilla lists! (Plus watching players cry when 60 demonettes eat there 150pt monsters is fun)
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Hey guys,

Something to mess up the schedule.

[url]http://40kwarzone.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/rumour-watch-tyranids-mystery-box-dark.html[/url]

Via 40k Radio Podcast:

"Tyranids are beginning of 2014."
    http://40kwarzone.blogspot.com.au/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by doogansquest View Post
    That, and 3/4 of the units were just unplayable, but Tyranids players had to play some of them anyway to fill the points. Mono-build codices are no fun, and Tyranids have been the epitome of that for some time now.
    I disagree. Most people did not play the units they don't have.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

First-Captain

QUOTE=doogansquest;340733]That, and 3/4 of the units were just unplayable, but Tyranids players had to play some of them anyway to fill the points. Mono-build codices are no fun, and Tyranids have been the epitome of that for some time now.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say 3/4 of the units are unplayable, unless you want to throw in the fact that half the army didn't have any models which made them unplayable.

I think what hit nid player hard was the changes in editions. I mean each change of editions seen severe changes in this army more than any other army.

Back in 3rd I waited for the newer codex to come out, so I didn't play the older codex. I heard this codex had a lot of character. However in 4th what I remember was genestealers was the in unit. The 3 really strong units was genestealers, spine gaunts, and Carnifex spam. Those was the 3 primary models most people ran. I however stayed with termagaunts due to re rolling to wound when shooting, warriors for shooting, and some carnifex spam. Strangely I had a very strong shooty nid list. Most games I would win by simply shooting everyone to death, only army that gave me a head ache was shooty Orcs.

When 5th came around it calm down the genestealer. I for one liked 5th for nids since it made my warriors a lot cheaper due to the blast rules, which made little sence to twin linked blast weapons anymore. 5th favored template and shooty armies which in turn made my shooty nids dominate in tournaments, as long asi didn't run out on time. Than that 5th edition codex came a long. It nerved a lot of units, while making some even better.

For example I ran 3 zonathorpes, a winged tyrant and a normal tyrant which provided me with 5 warp blast attacks, yes I can run more now. The point is the zonathorpe's durability was severly nerved. In the past you had t throw a decent amount of ap 2 weapons into them to kill them, which is good since that meant less ap 2 weapons heading toward your MC's. When they changed the save it made them easy to instant kill and made them more vulnerable to regular shooting. The change in saves meant more anti-tank weapons hit my MC's and gave the other armies a chance to focus the thorpes more with infantry. Most will disagree and say the New Thorpe is better, but I still say otherwise, since a thope is a fire magnent for many reasons like being a synapese creature for staters.

The new 5th/ 5th edition codex/ rules is what hurted nids as an army. It killed running carnifexes for example, took away the bs + 1 upgrade on nids, killed spine gaunt heavy armies.

What the new dex in 5th did was favor genestealers and some new units. After doing the math on gaunts that can re roll to wound and re roll to hit on marins the tervigon becam my new baby. However unless you ran genestealers the 5th edition codex pretty much gutted most nid players armies.

Than 6th edition came out. That was like a straw that hurted th camel's back. 6th saw the death of the genestealer. Which meant if you wasn't playing on the Tervigon tune than you wil start losing a lot of games.

I think another big change was a few thing I didn't mention as well like fleshhooks. The loss of fleshhooks hurted the army a lot.

With nids you have playable units, but with the shift in units it can frustrate most nid players, especially ones that played for years. For example Tau and Marines are fine since codex and rule changes do not changed the army in drastic ways. For the most part you just have to probably buy a few more models and re model some weapons. With nids you are shiftng to differant troops, etc. Who wants to remodel over 100 gaunts.

At least 6th edition brought new life in the nerf dex. For example wound allocation now really helps with running carnifexes now as a squad. Endurance with a squad of carnifexes is quite good now. The fact genestealer squads have psykers in them to give them endurance of example, or cause a unit to be pinned is much better than before.

The reason people don't really bother with nids is all the extreme changes the army has gone through and a new codex is on the way. I may or may not upgrade my army depending on how the codex is written. However I can say if it hawks back to the previous codex like giving genestealers +4 armour saves I might get back into some nids. I like nids, but too many changes really hurted the army.

Also simple things like not making Nid Drop pods. Doom is a good model, but there is no model for it. Both unit are good but can't really be used since you don't have models fr it. Due to GW wanting models to be majority of their product in toujrnaments it's rarely seen or people want to wait till the models to come out. That is basically nids in a nut shell.

To go back to the unplayable comment.for example all the HQ choices are pretty playable. Troops is where you really hurt. Genestealers would be good if invisibility was only one warp charage, even than they struggle vs armies like Tau on the bright side you can get psychic shriek, hallunicnation, or puppet master off rather early in the game due to infiltrate. Swarmlord grants them invisibility they will be really hard to root out of terrain unless an army can deny cover.

Homagaunts are not good since regular gaunts are better and you can do the same, but better with gargoyles.

Which leaves your generic gaunts for your only real troop choice, which in turn means you running Termagons. Devilgaunts are good with drop pods, but like I said earlier lack of pods as models hamper even taking them as a choice.

If you look at the elite choice I see all playable models. Even the pyrovore which wuld be great from a drop pod. The issue with the elites is you can only use 3. Also zonathorpes and guards provide shooting support your army really needs which make taking a pyrovore as a non option simply due to better choices. However if you was to pick units with unlimited slot options I think some units would be played a lot more like pyrovore bombs.

After testing all the elite units thanks to 6th the only bad unit is the venomthorpes. The problem with venomthorpes they are way to easy to kill. To make them a good unit you have to run a lot of them, which in turn you lose options. Against nobs they work, but against good players I have yet to make this unit work.

The only real problem with nids is in the tournament scene it's a rather time consuming army to play, also they lack anti-air, well good anti air. When I pull out my nids they are on par with my daemons. I destroyed the new Tau several times. Nids and Daemons are the only two armies I havn't lost in 6th edition yet. Nids I havn' used them in tournaments, daemons I win, but not get all the points I need to win overall at times. Love it when you win everygame and still don't win a tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    I disagree. Most people did not play the units they don't have.
    People played Tervigons even though the model didn't come out until shortly before 5th ended.

People played the Doom even though they still don't have a model.

People play the Tyranid Prime even though they still don't have a model.

So no, it wasn't just because they didn't have models. The rules in their codex were just awful to begin with. That's why they were dead last in tournament win percentage all through 5th edition.

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    I want to see more fex's as well.......I miss playing against Nidzilla lists! (Plus watching players cry when 60 demonettes eat there 150pt monsters is fun)
    I want Carnifexes playable again, but not the 115 point gunboats they were in 4th. We don't need to trade one mono-build codex for another.
    Ask about painting commissions and more!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by doogansquest View Post
    People played Tervigons even though the model didn't come out until shortly before 5th ended.

People played the Doom even though they still don't have a model.

People play the Tyranid Prime even though they still don't have a model.

So no, it wasn't just because they didn't have models. The rules in their codex were just awful to begin with. That's why they were dead last in tournament win percentage all through 5th edition.

I want Carnifexes playable again, but not the 115 point gunboats they were in 4th. We don't need to trade one mono-build codex for another.

I disagree. Have you even played nids. I admit I did make models out of the 3 units above, but the lack of models was still a big issue. Simple things like a drop pod. Man the arguments I got into with tournaments and people with the drop pods. Those 3 models are not hard to really modify. I took my old carnifexes and made them tervigons, doom can be made frok a zonathorpe, and a prime from a warrior. Those modifications are not hard and can still be 100% GW.

The rules wasn't why Nids did so bad. The reason why I stopped playing nids in tournament play is at best I can get to turn 3, while if the other side is just as slow I would only get to turn one or two. Outside of tournament play they dominated in 5th due to no time constraints.

Even still taking objectives and contesting is rather easy due to spawning 6", moving 6", and running 6" to them. In 6th it's awesome if you have invisibility since that unit can hide in cver for a +2 cover save and have feel no pain.

In 5th they was quite strong due to gtg ad the lack of cover save denial.

The problem the army had was generating a lot of turn one kills. You have to wait till turn 2 or usually 3 to start earning kills, which you may not see in a tournament due to time, especially if the other player stalls.

6th has made the army way better than what it was. I was pissed off due to my older nid army can generate a lot of turn 1 kills via shooting which this current nid dex really lack.

The main issue with nids is traction. Honestly if you don't go shooty nids which used to be an option it is always a nid problem. The Tervigons are great, but they really slow up up the game. You have to roll 3 dice and count out gaunts and put them on the table. After awhile it gets confusing which gaunt squad is what. After playing many games with them you are forced to keep spawning guants as much as possible, which in turn gives out vps.

I seen nids win 5th and 6th in my area and looking at their results on the net. Heck Nids are theb reason why so many of my armies have a lot of plasma and flame weapons.

Back in 5th with 4+ feel no pain nids was worst to deal with if you have a lot of rockets, reason why I take other weapons over rockets. Te ole feel no pain front tyrant and guard with the tervigon getting cover saves from that unit made tervigons rather hard to kill. Unless the player ran his tervigons out in the open to die since they scream shoot me please, and the fact evryone as tactics say shoot them first.

Not saying I like the current Codex for nids. I ranted on how badly it nerfed last edition nids. Greyknights had some nerfs, but nids nerves out weighed the boons the army received.

Chapter-Master

I 100% agree with this sentiment.

There are sooooo many games of Bugs where I win on turn 5 and on. It takes 4 turns for the Freight Train of Doom to get going, but once Turn 4 is coming around, half my army is destroyed, and the opponent starts to realize that they cannot win.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Page 9 of 130 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast