BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 130 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    Interesting, and id be surprised if they were before the end of the year...that would make 6 codex books in a single year (!) Wouldnt of believed updated troop sprues before, but after the new tactical squad, it seems possible now.
    Not only 6 codexes/codices in one year, but only 2 imperial books! It would certainly cement 2013, and possibly 6th edition as the "Year of the Xenos!" =)

Quote Originally Posted by doogansquest View Post
    Who's old and/or competitive is rarely an indicator of what needs to be done. For one, Tyranids really aren't showing up that well in tournaments right now; better than in late 5th, for sure, but they are still too easy to take apart. Once you realize blowing up a Tervigon wrecks the swarm entirely, you can usually disable 'nids by turn 2-3. I've experienced both ends of that, and it's kind of an autopilot thing now.

Hive Tyrants are okay, but about 25-40 points too expensive. They rely heavily on getting good psychic rolls, but without their own table or Warlord Traits, they are pretty blah. Hive Tyrants and the Carnifex also need more clearly defined roles, instead of both just presenting outlets for Brainleech goodness. Genestealers are completely useless at their current price, as are Trygons, and the Carnifex is only played because people desperately need the extra S6 shots. Also, is there a book with more self-defeating units? Pyrovore? Biovore? Lictors? The Tyrannofex is about 30-45 points too high. No models for the Special Characters, the Mycetic Spore, the Harpy (which is terrible rules-wise anyway) and a ton of single pack models that make their Force Organization awkward. A swarm supported by monsters has too many 1-3 choices that are $25-$30 apiece and rather awful on the battlefield. The Warriors need new models (as many of the options are just missing, and/or leftovers from 3rd edition) and rules. I actually can't think of a book with more useless units in it than Codex Tyranids. Which units are good is an irrelevant factor if there's only 3-4 worth playing.

Tyranids need to be thematically redone, and a part of how GW approaches which codex "needs" it is based on artistic inspiration. Also, I don't think any faction got nailed as hard as they did in 5th, and the so-called "boost" is negligible.

The funny part about the Sisters comments is, they make for ridiculously powerful Allies. Tons of firepower, invulns everywhere, but nobody knows how to play with or against them because the internet said Sisters were bad without giving them a shot.

As far as getting all upset over Tyranids receiving something before Orks: with the current release clip, I doubt there will be much of a wait. In fact, it's likely both books are already completed.

To the uber monstrous creature: it could be a completely new take on a commander/highly psychic entity. If it's a Dominatrix type, they may just make it like a super-sized tyrant. I don't personally dig that idea, and I could be totally wrong. We may just get the token flyer, as the Tervigon/Tyrannofex kit is already quite massive. If recent release trends are any indicator, 1 monster, 1 flyer, 1 redone infantry, 1 new infantry, some clampacks.
    This guy knows hiws Tyranids and I completely agree. Specially how Genestealers went from being the deadliest creatures in hand to hand combat so troops that will deep strike and then just ask the enemy to stare at shoot at them while being stared at. Lictors have actually been good to me. Carnifexes are completely meh as well. WHo knows, maybe they come up with a model that needs to base?

Scout

Hmmm I may be starting a second army when this comes out. I wouldnt count on sisters being a codex anymore, unless they do a massive overhaul like they did with Dark Eldar. Tyranids is logical, although I am surprised they would release it before the Ork codex.

Orks work for the moment being though.

Nids? Not so much. I mean they are far from the unplayable force many claim, but they need more than a nip and tuck all the same.

Plus, gaps in the line...
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Mastery Level 4 super bug? Hmm...

I think that would make it the only ML 4 unit in the game that doesn't have a last name (i.e. isn't a special character).

Or maybe it will be a special character. Or maybe it won't be an anything, its always hard to take anything seriously with so much time before the actual release.

Smile

Lets not forget that the Nids can't have any allies. You combine that with all the not so competitive units in the codex, they are in need of a kick. I also remember a while back on one of these threads that when the codex was being written, they had a saying on their research board or something of that nature, I believe it was "Everything viable, everything Desirable".....

Either way, I can't wait!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dlatrex View Post
    Not only 6 codexes/codices in one year, but only 2 imperial books! It would certainly cement 2013, and possibly 6th edition as the "Year of the Xenos!" =)
    That's an interesting point, I hadnt noticed that before. Allthough, i don't personally consider or see daemons as "xenos" but it's arguable both ways. The only army that will take a lot of hard work model-wise I can see is Sisters, the rest will be easy i think.

if they keep up this rate of codex updates it could only take just over another year to get everyone to 6th....I guess they'll focus on codex expansions for the remainder of the edition cycle (allthough id love a new non-humanoid xenos army...sigh)
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by BolS 8-13-2013
    Altered FOC to help counter the lack of Allies. 3 HQ, 4 Elite, 6 Troop, 4 Fast, 4Heavy. Purchasing the 3rd HQ choice unlocks the extra Elite, Fast, and Heavy slots.

Termagants – Gain Fleet. New 10 unit box. Includes options for Spike rifles and Strangleweb. Curled tails. No rippers on sprues.

"BIG BUG" – Larger than Tervigon sized HQ unit. Oval base, hunched over, but wider. Has 18” synapse. Psyker 4. Prime version: Grants FNP and Counter Attack to Nids in 12.” Stats like Tervigon, except 2A. SitW

Larger FOC with a third HQ is a pretty good idea, though it would be nice if it gave 2 more troop slots as well like normal allies.
    Spike Rifles and Stranglewebs on Termies are nice, but why a new box for them? Lots of models in finecast still that could use plastic, and would make nice dual-kits (Hive Guard/Tyrant guard, Biovore/Pyrovore, Zoanthrope/Venomthrope, Warriors need a new kit far more, which could include wings and parts to make a Prime)
    Big Bug? Sounds like a downsized Dominatrix. If it bumps the Tervigon out of HQ, that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    That's an interesting point, I hadnt noticed that before. Allthough, i don't personally consider or see daemons as "xenos" but it's arguable both ways. The only army that will take a lot of hard work model-wise I can see is Sisters, the rest will be easy i think.

if they keep up this rate of codex updates it could only take just over another year to get everyone to 6th....I guess they'll focus on codex expansions for the remainder of the edition cycle (allthough id love a new non-humanoid xenos army...sigh)
    Well, 2 Chaos, 2 Imperial, 2 Xenos so far.
    Nids mainly need rules work, and more models in plastic. And the Harpy to not suck.
    IG needs certain models in plastic badly, and some rules work. Maybe make the Valk/Vendetta anti-ground, then introduce a new fighter like the Thunderbolt.
    Orks are in decent shape, just need certain models in plastic and some rules tweaks for balance.
    Last edited by MajorWesJanson; 08-13-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Not entirely buying that "bigger bug" rumour.

1) Not every army is getting a big model, and Tyranids already have two of the biggest.

2) The tervigon/Tyranofex, BARELY fit on the oval base as it is.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I don't buy the "bigger bug" rumor either. The Tervigon/Tyrannofex model is already made up of more plastic than even the Riptide, and the Trygon is still no cupcake. I could see a huge bug in the pipeline for an Apocalypse Warzone, however...

I think GW will save Orks for a little later, because it takes considerable time to go from design, to CAD, to production & packaging, and Orks have just as many vacant entries as Tyranids, if I'm not mistaken, plus a lot of REALLY old stuff. That, and every army gets something completely new. That's just how GW rolls.

I did speak to some writers and marketing folks recently who said Sisters are DEFINITELY in the works. They are just a ways off. They need the Dark Eldar/Necrons treatment, which is great. I'd rather they are done later, but properly, than rushed out.

There could be a big kit for the Tyranids, but it would likely be the Mycetic Spore. Consider than GW has said that 6th edition codices won't be released without every unit in the book having some sort of model representation...
    Ask about painting commissions and more!

Page 4 of 130 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast