BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Brotherhood of Fire, new scheme test mini

Morning every one. Or whatever time it is wherever you are.

Over the last few months, I've been using my Vindicators more and more in my Space Marine lists. No matter what, they always get a lot of attention from onlookers and opponents, asking about the scheme and saying they look really nice. I'll leave that up for you to decide;

Part of that is, as you can tell from the pic, the strong contrast between them and the rest of the army, being so dark compared to the bright reds, oranges and yellows of the rest of the force. It's also a really quick scheme, comparatively, so when it came to painting up my Contemptor for a tournament I followed suit;

Again, he got more than his fair share of attention, even when there were plenty of other Contemptors around. The bold, simple colours bringing out the shape brilliantly and again acting as a strong contrast to the rest of the army, as well as the Killakan on the base. Roll on another tournament, and another vehicle I needed to paint up quickly, the Stormtalon got a similar treatment;

With such a large part of the lists now in this scheme, several of my friends started to comment on how well it worked, how much better than the rest of my Marines it looked (even given the 10+ years of improved painting skill!) Slowly that began to get the old cogs turning in my mind, finally deciding it was time to update the army I have been continually adding to since my pre-teen years. Before taking the plunge though, I wanted to check that the same style I had used on the vehicles would still work on a smaller scale. Scrambling through my collection I found only two models that were undercoated but I had not started painting properly. One of which was the special edition retro Space Marine from the Skullz Promotion several years ago, the other the Terminator given away with WD at the release of Assault on Black Reach. That wasn't much of a choice...

Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

Looks good boyo.

The crux on the shoulder pad and the chest aquila + skull needs a colour though. Also not sure the bolter colour goes well with the red
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

He isn't perfect, but here is a comparison with some of the other models in my army.

The Sergeant in the front (horribly out of focus on purpose) just gives you an idea of how my regular Marines compare in style to the Terminators, with the Assault Terminator Sergeant giving you an example of a similar standard of painting in my current scheme and the Classic Terminator in the back being about the most similar model I have in my collection to the new guy that is fully painted (even if it was many years and a lot of brush skills earlier.)

360 degree view. He is far from perfect, not exactly finished (the purity seal in particular standing out as untouched) but he certainly gives you a good idea of where I am planning on going with the scheme. I did have to take him off his base to do the yellow and orange, but that would be easy to do with most of my models. Unfortunately the sensor unit above his head came off whilst I was taking the photos.

What do you guys think? What would you suggest I change? The personal heraldry on the shoulder shield would be fairly unique to each terminator and obviously wouldn't be on the rank and file troopers. Any other additions you think I should include?

Shades
    Last edited by SotonShades; 06-24-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: wrong photo

Chapter-Master

I like the scheme, it looks effective. I just think the blue on the shield/guard and the stormbolter clashes. Maybe a dark purple would work better being closer to red?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

The blue is more of a spot colour. You are right about it clashing on the shield guard though, but as that is personal heraldry rather than something that would be repeated across the whole army, I am less concerned about that.

Veteran-Sergeant
    Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

As this is one of the armies I play the most I think I have a solid interest. And in doing so, that marine looks amazing so you best have painted every last space marine model you have in that scheme before we game again

Chapter-Master

Trying to wear him out so he's too tired to play properly?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Night System View Post
    As this is one of the armies I play the most I think I have a solid interest. And in doing so, that marine looks amazing so you best have painted every last space marine model you have in that scheme before we game again
    Guess we aren't playing for a while then!

Chapter-Master

Pickled Space Marine, anyone?

These are only the worst painted, non-vehicle culprits. Many, many more to go.

Chaplain

Don't let the Tyranid's see that jar of pickled marines lol!

The blue feels a bit too dominating on the storm bolter, yet its awesome on the eyes. It's quite spooky looking! I am guessing the wax of the purity seal is going to be blue too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast