BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Librarian

As a mostly CSM player with daemon and Traitor Guard Allies, the rules which have helped me the most are Vector Strike, FNP, Smash, Challenges (even though they extend the game a little), precision shots (taking out that pesky Icon or Plasma gunner), Jink, intercept, It will not Die, Many units being re-designated (such as Bloodcrushers, the new Plague drones (jetpack cavalry), Dirge Casters, Chaos Marks for most unit in the CSM codex, and so many weapons now getting the Ignores cover rule make a lot of the "sit in cover and wait for the enemy to assault me armies not as effective. Over watch has changed the game a lot, as has pre-measuring, and the new assault rules. I have really felt the effects of the new transport rules. Not being able to assault even if you got out before the vehicle moved, makes some of my old tactics useless. The list goes on - Flesh bane, Armour bane, counter-attack, ATSKNF, poisoned, preferred enemy, shred, torrent and close combat weapons now having AP values.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Veteran-Sergeant

For me, it has to be Snap Shots, for the reasons listed earlier. Second/joint-first is Overwatch. Honourable mentions (in no particular order): Feel No Pain working against AP1-2 weapons, Look Out Sir!, Challenges, being able to throw grenades, the simplification of Night Fighting, close combat weapons now having AP values, plus lots of existing rules being given names like 'Unwieldy' and 'Shred', makes those rules *so* much easier to refer to! The new Psychic Powers are also awesome! ^-^

Rules I dislike: Rage (used to be very characterful and a reasonable de-buff on certain close combat monster units, now it's a lot less characterful and makes them *even better*), not being able to pick Psychic Powers (makes Psykers seem like scatter-brained imbeciles).

EDIT: More honourable mentions: Fearless no longer causing additional wounds when you fail combat, directional damage from shooting, Hull Points (Gauss needs a bit of a nerf, in my opinion, though... Rending perhaps?), pre-measuring (helps new players, and with the Realm of Battle gameboard it's a necessity, as experienced players can measure distances using the width of the tiles, and new players cannot, which is a little too close to cheating, in my book), 2d6 charge range (with pre-measuring, it's pretty much necessary), Rapid Fire (I never liked the way the Rapid Fire worked in 5th, though it was good in 2nd Edition)

More dislikes: The Allies Matrix. As stated above, it seems poorly thought-out: Black Templars and Sisters of Battle aren't Battle Brothers (or at *least* Allies of Convenience?)? *WHY*?! Also, Stub Pistols being Str 3 AP -, when the other weapon in the Stub family is Strength 4 AP 6. Plus, it means that there are not two, but *three* weapons with a profile of Range: 12" Str 3 AP - Pistol 1! The Autopistol is a great alternative from a hobby perspective (I personally don't like laser weapons), but the Stub Pistol is just redundant. =/
    Last edited by Nosmo75; 06-25-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

What does "LOS-A" mean? =S

Like : PRE MEASURING (everything is more logic now, the person with the best estimate doesn´t always win), Challenges, Snap Shots, Fast Skimmers

Dislike : No assaulting (Eldar player here ) from the motionless vehicle, NECRONS in general...randomness in general, and the fact, that GW can´t proof read their books and the way everything is all over the book/codexes (fe. new Eldar one)

But still better than 5th in my opinion
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Chapter-Master

I like the fact that being Fearless doesn't make you take a bunch of saves at the end of the turn if you lost combat. The fact your wraithlord could be killed by Grots that normally can't hurt him because his friends got killed was silly
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Allies, definitely allies!
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

First-Captain

I hate premeasuring with a passion. I remember when you had to guess with barrage weapons. I took advantage of GW tables that was broken in 2'x2' sections. Made it easier to guess. Also knowing things like how long is terrain and model base sizes actually helped out. It added an edge to the game which helped me win .

Rampage is an awesome 6th rule which on a Thirster it receives d3 extra attacks as long as he is outnumbered.

Challenges only benefit some armies really. However it either keeps the powerfist guy out of a fight or get's him killed.

I like the no assault at the bottom of turn one and from reserves.

Also every edition since 4th have been beating down on assaults:
    3rd edition you used to be able to consolidate into other units which made some units unkillable
    4th edition got rid of that rule and also nerfed rending which used to be auto wounds on 6s to hit.
    5th edtion made it a lot easier to see models. You can now shoot through trees, etc. Easier to see made it less likely assault unit a can get across the table. Oh and no more assaulting out of vehicles( could had been 4th). 5th made blast templates more leathal. In a way 4th nerfed combat hard, while 5th improved on ranged armies.
    6th edition added more ranged buffs move and shoot rapid fire, over watch making 5th edition range buffs even worst.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    I hate premeasuring with a passion. I remember when you had to guess with barrage weapons. I took advantage of GW tables that was broken in 2'x2' sections. Made it easier to guess. Also knowing things like how long is terrain and model base sizes actually helped out. It added an edge to the game which helped me win.
    This. This is sooooooo true.

"Guess 27 and a half inches.... DIRECT HIT!"

I miss those days.
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

First-Captain

Wound allocation. Makes models like taking 3 carnifexes with a prime blessed w/endurance actually good now.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Allies, definitely allies!
    Testify.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast