BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Worst/Best out of town tournament experiences

i was wondering how many of you travel to attend some events and what kind of experiences you have had good or bad.

i have 2 bad ones

1. Tournament was scheduled well in advance and my friends and i had scheduled ourselves to attend. 2 weeks before the event we all got emails asking us to send in our lists ahead of time for verification...first red flag there

2. didnt think much about it at first but something was gnawing at me.. arrived at the event paid for day etc.etc.. lol i found out all 4 of us were paired against locals who had the exact counters to our armies...now 4 locals each having the exact match to our armies.. the odds cant be that easy...i tabled my opp on turn 3 he couldnt hit water if he fell out of a boat, my 3 friends got 2 draw and a loss i ended up winning the event... i knew we had been had as i talked to some other out of town guys and they hadnt had to send in their lists.. so when i was presented my prize i asked the gamers now how many of you were sent emails asking you for your army lists..

when the 4 of us were the only ones raising their hands we knew the fix was in.. my 3 friends got full refunds.. and that store closed about a year later

i will never send in my army list for an out of town event ever again

second event happened in Raleigh NC.

3 of my friends and i went to Raleigh to play in an event where the top prize was SUPPOSED TO BE A PAINTED CHAOS DEMON ARMY... well day of event the models werent all painted and we found out after, they didnt have all the models... my friend won top place beat me by a single point i think maybe it was 2, i got second...

took him like 2 months to get his prize i never did get mine.. should have got store credit and got what i wanted

whats the best or worst things you have experienced?

I'm from the Fort Bragg/Fayetteville area and I'm wondering which two tournaments/stores you went too. Might be able to explain anything as I know all the stores in the Raleigh area and my firends and I right now (well I'm deployed at the moment lol) typically clean house at all the local tournaments in Raleigh.

Chapter-Master

On a side note, it's not particularly unusual for reasonably large tournaments to require you to submit lists beforehand, so the TOs can check to make sure the lists are legal. That in and of itself is no reason for concern.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    On a side note, it's not particularly unusual for reasonably large tournaments to require you to submit lists beforehand, so the TOs can check to make sure the lists are legal. That in and of itself is no reason for concern.
    I had that same opinion till it was obvious it was a set up...one bad experience tho can cast a bad light for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Flammenwerfer13 View Post
    I'm from the Fort Bragg/Fayetteville area and I'm wondering which two tournaments/stores you went too. Might be able to explain anything as I know all the stores in the Raleigh area and my firends and I right now (well I'm deployed at the moment lol) typically clean house at all the local tournaments in Raleigh.
    the one event in Raleigh was at : Game Theory, Raleigh, North Carolina they moved locations right after that event dont know where they are now the owner was not running this event so dont blame him or the store

Battle-Brother

My worst experienced was when I won the first ever 40k Throne of Skulls at Warhammer World and they took it back three days later!
    Shameless Plug - Check out my blog at www.toyznthehood.com

Veteran-Sergeant

I haven't gone to many out of town events but the few I have have been pretty good. I went twice to 'ard Boyz at The Game Shoppe in Omaha Nebraska and had a good time. I played one guy who was pretty cocky, but that wasn't the store's fault and the rest of the gamers were good sports. I also played at WargamesCon in Austin this year and had a nice time.

The one bad experience I've had was a tussle between two other gaming groups. I showed up at one store for a tournament only to find out that a rival group rented space nearby and offered free entry and prizes just to draw players away and spite the other store. It was a dick move so I didn't end up playing any Warhammer that weekend.
    "Technically correct is the best kind of correct."
    WHFB: Dwarf - TK - Empire - Goblin 40k: SW - IG - Ork

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserdean View Post
    I haven't gone to many out of town events but the few I have have been pretty good. I went twice to 'ard Boyz at The Game Shoppe in Omaha Nebraska and had a good time. I played one guy who was pretty cocky, but that wasn't the store's fault and the rest of the gamers were good sports. I also played at WargamesCon in Austin this year and had a nice time.

The one bad experience I've had was a tussle between two other gaming groups. I showed up at one store for a tournament only to find out that a rival group rented space nearby and offered free entry and prizes just to draw players away and spite the other store. It was a dick move so I didn't end up playing any Warhammer that weekend.
    i would have played at the stores event and not given the poachers the time of day

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by rle68 View Post
    i would have played at the stores event and not given the poachers the time of day
    The two other guys who traveled with me were the only players. We went to Dave and Busters instead.
    "Technically correct is the best kind of correct."
    WHFB: Dwarf - TK - Empire - Goblin 40k: SW - IG - Ork

First-Captain

I don't play many tournaments due to hurricanes and other crap thanks to being in the national guard. Once I retire which is not too long from now I figure I will have the time to particpate in more events. Also since some tournament happen to be when I go to drill it kills my tournament time.

The last two Ard boy tournaments I had to let someone take my place in round two both times. I came in 1st the first time and 3rd the second time. Lesson learned in the second tournament stalling wins tournaments.

Now having an army that takes for ever to play and does well in the first two turns I learned is best to play in tournaments. Even if it takes 10 mins to do your turn, if it takes your opponent 1hour or more per turn it doesn't matter, or when it's his turn he can make 1hr into 5 min so he doesn't lose.

The timed thing I don't agree with. Especally when out of tournament I can destroy them due to no time limit. I think if their is a time limit it should be on the players turn. Like say a tournament have 3 hr game limit with 6 turn limit, usually 5 turn. That would make each players turn 15 min long. That way the other player is not penalized if their opponent purposly eats the clock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast