BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Yale, you've never seen the enormous costs of things like the 3d printing, casting, etc, have you?

Nick: You need better renders, it'd be easier to get the punters to punt with a better looking view - the solidworks/wings3d style render just doesn't sell it as well as it could.

Quote Originally Posted by faolan View Post
    Yale, you've never seen the enormous costs of things like the 3d printing, casting, etc, have you?
    Only in a minor way. But still, for three grand I'd want the masters to arrive signed by Elvis.

I don't like the skulls on the DE fortifications.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Iron Father

I have never pledged on kick starter, will these be available to buy afterwards or only if you have made a pledge ? I like the tau and Eldar ones.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Brother-Sergeant

Most Kickstarters are there to get initial funds available for a project and the public release comes after that (some release immediately and some only after they have met the obligations to their pledgers)

I'm pretty sure these will be available for public purchase pretty quickly after the Kickstarter has been finished and he starts production to fill the pledges (if I had to guess public purchase will be a month or two after close of project)
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal) Satire 6

Well Yale, at least you admit your ignorance there, and I can respect the hell out of that

Basically though, the printing can be a fair bit expensive, especially since you need to have everything set to the higher/highest settings - which takes a while and the longer you tie up the machine for, the more you pay. Plus the more material you use, the more you pay.

The molds will run you a fairly decent amount, and then you only get (depending on the materials involved) 40-70 pulls per mold before you either have to throw it away, or, in the case of Forgeworld, use it anyway despite not putting out a recognisable product (yes, still bitter over the lack of quality from my Bloodthirster...)

And then with a kickstarter, the artists normally don't get paid until the end, so in there you're likely seeing the sculptor's fees as well.

Tag on taxes (the US gov't takes a stupid amount because of how they calculate kickstarter moneys as a "gift" and CHS is stateside), and that out of that say $3k initial, you also have to pay for the products the people have bought with their pledges out of that...

That's why the numbers blow out to $3k so fast.

Why do I know this? Because I worked with Col Gravis/Rob on his kickstarter that I posted a while back.

I'm all for CHS doing this (although I personally think the price is a bit steep.. sorry Nick, but that's my opinion!), it's just so long as they don't pull a Mantic and KS every little damned thing, that's where I see the system abuse coming in.

I wanted to show the revised designs for the Space Elf Shield Walls as well as the Dark Space Elf Walls. As you can see we removed the skulls from the Dark Space Elf terrain as well as made sure that the models would have line-of-sight over the walls themselves.

Space Elf Shield Walls

Dark Space Elf Walls

And here are the variant walls that will be unlocked at 23K and 25K

Space Elf Hard Wall Variant

Space Elf Raider Shield Walls

I also wanted to let you all know that at the end of the Kickstarter that anyone who pledged for the terrain sets will be given the option to purchase additional weapon mounts for their terrain.

Thanks!

Nick - Chapterhouse Studios LLC

Brother-Captain

Totally off topic asside:

Are you using Sketchup to make those? That's awesome! I love that program. I mostly goof with it to make Star Wars models, though (see [url=http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2011/057/1/4/star_wars_mandalorian_basilisk_by_necron2_0-d3ahwvc.jpg]here[/url]).
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234