BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First-Captain

Cool My Tau list! 1850!

This is what I think is my final list. I put the hammerhead back in to deal with mass 13 armour which gave me problems in my last tournament. Also I decided to go pure Tau this time.

I might change my list, but this is what I am feeling. I will test it this weekend to see how well it does.

1850 Tau

-HQ-

130 Commander:
    S Systems: Sig Systems: Puretide Engram Neurochip, Command and Control Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite

50 Ethereal:

- Troops -

90 10 x firewarriors

90 10 x firewarriors

90 10 x firewarriors

98 14 x kroot: sniper

105 15 x kroot: sniper

- Elites -

190 Riptide:
    RW: Twin- Linked Fusion, Ion Accelerator
    SS: Early Warning Override

190 Riptide:
    RW: Twin- Linked Fusion, Ion Accelerator
    SS: Early Warning Override

-Fast Attack -

100 5 x Pathfinders: 3 x railgun

100 5 x Pathfinders: 3 x railgun

88 8 x Pathfinders

- Heavy Support-

115 skyray:
    RW: Smart Missile System

131 Hammer Head:
    RW: Railgun w/ submunition, Smartmissile system
    VBS: Blacksun Filter

282 3 x Broadsides: 3x target
    6 x Missile Drones

Total: 1849

Looks pretty tight, just a small question, how are you set for anti tank? I see one railcannon, and the riptides can jump around, but that relegates the rip tides to deviate from "killing almost everything" and means that they will be tied to a role for a while.

First-Captain

Sniper rounds can take out 12 and under, broadsides have rail guns which can glance 14, also I have seeker missiles.

Unless they running a lot of 14 or 13 I have a decent amount of anti-tank.

Seems solid, as long as you're not up against a Armored IG player, or somebody going crazy with fliers.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Themaninthegreenhat View Post
    Seems solid, as long as you're not up against a Armored IG player, or somebody going crazy with fliers.
    Fought armoured IG with a tone down list and did rather well against them. One of the reasons I added in the hammerhead. My Riptides just lobbed strength 9 re roll pen hits that hit on side armour which worked rather well. The rest of my army was able to dismantle the armour 12 rather easily. The armour 14/13 took a while to kill but I was able to do so.

With land raiders my riptides can go into fusion smash mode to get rid of armour 14.

The only problem I really have is a lot of 13 armour vehicles sittting back out of fusion smash range.

Flyers is a problem, but I can still sort of deal with them. As long as my skyray lives 1 or 2 flyers is not a major problem. However flying MCs seem not to be a problem. I feel like I probably can kill 2-3 MC flyers rather easilt, unless they have a +2 re rollable invulnerable save.

Hey chicop, just wondering how this list is holding up for you? Have you had a chance to play it much more or have you scrapped it in favor of a new list?

First-Captain

I have made several changes, but kept most of the base. I slimmed it down some making it more cost effective.

I drop the hammerhead since it didn't really do anything in many games. The other two heavy options always have done well unless my skyray is taken out early. People don't like missiles that automatically ignore cover saves.

I thought about adding in another skyray, but I have had issues with opponents trying to out range me so I added in Tau Snipers that jsj which have worked rather well, especially for units that get within rapidid fire range of death.

1 spotter, 6 drones which means 18 shots rapid fire due to ethereal. They can be quite durable and have good range with great bs. They really don't need marker lights. Thought about taking Oshova allies to add another boost commander to them for ignore cover and tank/ mc hunter.

I would have to say everybody hates my boosted broadsides. I have kept the railguns due to people like eldar and even crons trying to out range me. The buffs on the strength eight weapons are really nice. I have been able to deal with armour 13 rather easily due to re rolling. Also in Necrons case with being open topped is awesome since if I pen them they explode on rolls of 3 or more, got to love ignoring cover saves. Not to mention the twin linked missile shots that shoot seperate from the squad killing flyers. I would have to say the squads durability and how reliable they are at killing tanks are nice. That being said you need a 6 to pen armour 13, but if all 3 hits hit and you are re rolling pens it's not to hard to pull off.

I drop a lot of pathfinders which has helped a lot. The problem I had was I was getting a lot of bs 8 ignore cover save fire power. Also the railriles are nice, but made lighting abit award when you kill are nearly kill the unit you are marking, also you want to mark the unit prior to using the rail rifles, so I dropped the rifles and run 3 squads of 4 now. It has worked much better for army synergy. Only thing I miss is outflanking more with my pathfinders with rail rifles.

I after hearing how good OShova bomb was. I added a body guard and a regular crisis suit with two fusion guns. They do suicidal deep strikes targeting heavy armour units which my broadsides may have problems dealing with, so far this has worked really well. Due to having to be 9" away for melta range helps with me not mishapping, although I have drifted out of melta range a few times. Even so I have hit rear armour of crons and guard which really helped out. Of course the suits die, but it is for the greater good..

I dropped the Kroot sniper rifles since I rarely used the sniper part due to facing toughness 3 models and sometimes tripple tapping with them. Move through cover and woods win games with them. Plus two cover saves ftw.

I added a transport to my fire warriors to help take objectives alongside the kroot and it has given me more options and mobility.

The Riptides still do a lot of damage, but I didn't notice they don't hit side armour, but a strength 9 hit that rolls 2 dice to pen is good, imagine rolling 2 dice that can re roll. I am thinking of taking the ic riptide from the Oshova codex and adding it to my broadsides. I will drop the missile drones from the sides which will allow me to have 3 toughness 6 models, 1 toughness 5, and 3 toughness 4 models with all 2 plus saves for a majority of toughness 6.

Hi,

My brother plays Tau a lot and has a very similer list himself that he has been play tersting lately against my Blood angels with guard allies. I run a Landraider and leman russ and he oftern struggles against it because I use a vanguard vet squad to threaten his hammerhead in the first turn. Once this is gone he struggles to kill both tanks and the tend to run about doing as they please!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob821 View Post
    Hi,

My brother plays Tau a lot and has a very similer list himself that he has been play tersting lately against my Blood angels with guard allies. I run a Landraider and leman russ and he oftern struggles against it because I use a vanguard vet squad to threaten his hammerhead in the first turn. Once this is gone he struggles to kill both tanks and the tend to run about doing as they please!
    And thats the problem with being called out to a job half way though writing a post....

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Bob821 View Post
    Hi,

That's why I added suicidal one man drop suits with two fusion guns. It is another reason why I am strongly thinking about O'Shova allies since I would retain pretty much I already have except one riptide being an ic and my suicidal suits as troops, too bad stealthsuits can't be troops.

Anyway do you keep your landraider up front or wayyyy in the back. Even with this list if you take out the hammerhead the two riptides can still deal with armour 14 due to strength 9 attacks, fusion, or smash.

However I am waiting on the OShova codex so I can rework my list on that. I am strongly leaning towards adding more fusion to my army. I mean I can have 11 fusion suits deep striking and taking out tanks as an option. Throw in a flamer on each they can also deal with hordes as well.

I did thought about at one point taking grey knights as allies. I figured the Vindicare Assassin, riffle dreds, and a few psycan ons with more strength 5 shooting would help on anti tank if it was a huge problem.

So far it hasn't been a huge problem, especially since I added the two fusion suits. Also as a side note I have deep striked my riptides as well and they had been able to fusion some russes as well. In the fights against guard it's been reserving half my army and hoping my army last till the reserves pop in. Typically the guard does really well the first two turns and I start putting the pain down the 3rd and 4th turns. I have to say outflanking with kroot and pathfinders have worked really well against guard whk die in droves.

That being said I have thought about outflanking in the rear deployment zone which is possible. I am thinking about adding a pathfinder team with rail rifles and devilfish back in my army with darkstrider. It would depend if I can deep strike acute or not with a special drone the unit can take. However with the unit I can outflank possibly with the rear in mind or have melta stealth suits do that instead. This would work well with OShova. It is a tactic I am debating on using. That I form a gunline from one end and the other end I outflank with the other half of my army from the rear. This could be really good with allies as well since I can have a bunch of bikes with OShova apear behind your lines while you are fighting the other half of my army pushing up. It's being debated on. As well as a possibility of having Inquisitors as allies for the servo skulls.

For right now I am staying with mono tau, but looking at possibilities. If anything I am strongly looking at anti 14 armour that is long range or can get to point a to point b really quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast