BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Scary stuff for my poor old Blood Angels. I really struggle against riptides. My THSS termies do the job on them no problem as long as they can catch them. Mass plasma does it a fair job as well. It just hard to get enough shots at them to strip off all those wounds.

For what it's worth I'm not sure Tau need allies to be totally amazing. However from a fluff point of view I love the idea a chapter turning to the greater good. Fantastic modeling, painting and gaming options all around!

First-Captain

Yeah. It's just some thoughts. Just re look at the codex and my allies can't outflank from the rear, so sad. However it dawn on me than I can potentially still rear flank half and army behind someone although I would have to take a devilfish with pathfinders to do that. Meaning Strategic Warlord Trait rolling there over the Tau one. I can also rear deep strike my tides with homing beacons on the same pathfinders that is coming in. The thought of catching armies in a cross fire sounds really tempting. The only problem is the pathfinder unit have to come in on turn 2 first or it will not happen, almost forcing me to take two units to make sure it works.

Yeah I am aware what kills tides. I target or stay away from those units with a vengeance. I never lost two tides in a game yet. I habe learned to stay away with melta bomb guard vets. I would also say having a 3 plus invulnerable as an option really helps out as well. Not to mention they beat down armies like crons in combat.

I only allied with daemons so far and that was for fun. Tau is pretty strong as is. That being said they do benefit from guard, grey knight, eldar, and marine allies. Eldar for example thanks to prescience helps reduce marker light depenance. Marine bikes really help with objective grabbing and keeping the enemy back, plus dem melta guns don't hurt. Two bikes is easily equal to a crisis suit. Grey Knights have the Vindicator and Guard have the Vendetta which really helps cover what the Tau lacks, so any mobility and anti tank options other armies provide really helps out the Tau.

When I am not lazy I might post my current Tau list which have been doing really well. Only concerns so far has been scouting units for the most part. Even with that in mind my kroot have been keeping that from being an issue. However I do fear if those scout armies have infiltraters as well or if they have servo skulls with a huge hunk of the army scouting. Even with this as long as I reduce the chance for multi assaults I can still do pretty well against this.

The times I have lost with my tau was against Necrons and Grey Knights, which after I changed my list and went more long range it isnt as much of a problem as before. I was losing due to the range game for the most part. Even than the loses wasn't with this list. It was when I went missile side and didn't play with the buff commander.

First-Captain

Without looking army bulider this is my current Tau list. That being said some details may be slightly off and you may have to adjust to fit according. Meaning dropping a fire warrior or kroot here and there. Also been taking a break with Tau, so only played a few games with the new marines. Haven't been playing since the Inquisition book. Depending on how much or what concerns I now have to worry about will help me decide on what to do next. However i would say I played this list a lot and it has preformed really well after many trial and errors.

1850 Tau

HQ
    Ethereal
    Commander: Purtide, Command and Control, Multi, Iriduim Armour,
    Body Guard: 2 fusion guns

Elite
    Riptide: ion, fusion
    Riptide: ion, fusion
    Crisis suit: 2 fusion guns

Troops
    10 fire warriors
    10 fire warriors
    12 fire warriors
    Devilfish: Smartmissiles
    12 kroot
    12 kroot

Fast
    4 pathfinders
    4 pathfinders
    4 pathfinders

Heavy
    1 controller, 6 sniper drones
    3 rail sides with target locks, 6 missile drones
    Skyray

Now that it is harder to instakill my commander it makes my broadsides more durable. I have debated on adding fnp, but cover saves have been a blessing, unless you face tau which look out sirs start becoming mandatory. I have been forced to gtg with my broadsides a few times. However thanks to marker lights it helps keep them in the game. Also I would say the gtg warlord trait is a really good warlord trait, too bad riptides can't gtg.

I am thinking about making a funner to play with Tau list. This list on the receiving end I been told hasn't been fun. It has done really well against daemons so far. My tactic so far is kill anything without a crap load of buffs on them. Has worked so far. Also against nids I almos tabled the nid player on turn one. He had one trigon, his swarmlord, and a tervigon left alive. In all honestly I could had killed everything but the trygon, helped that I went first though. Also I was being nice since he was getting upset. I told him not to play his nids though.

Chicop76, thanks for posting all that. Your insight is very, very helpful.

First-Captain

No problem. I was thinking about adding another side unit, but realized that snipers was a cheaper option and better vs higher wound models. If I get more snipers I would like to run 9 of them instead of 6.

Oh I have ran with a skyshield. I have to saw awesome for my broadsides and skyray.

Brother-Sergeant

Chicop76,

Thanks for the super-insightful look into Tau and how you run your lists! I've definitely been wondering how to incorporate a few things into my lists and this helps a ton.
    "Sometimes you just have to roll the hard six." -Admiral Adama
    Like my posts and ideas? Visit my Blog! http://www.dave40k.blogspot.com

Librarian

how has the list changed as well as adapted with the new addition of spae marines as well as sister and inquisition? i know with as rapidly as the meat changes i look at having a balanced and adapatable list as something that will always do better then going one way or another.

First-Captain

I been away out the game a bit. I can tell you pre inquisition. I have played new and white scar armies and still have done well. Mainly due to kroot screen and scout denial.

At this point I am looking over my options. For example if I run inquisition I may not really need kroot for example. Also scoring units like eldar or marine bikes do look attractive.

However Taudar is a really good alliance and Taurines are ok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12