BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Of Phoenix Lords and Aspects

First off, a heads-up that the Phoenix Lord of the Shining Spears has finally been named - the Iyanden supplement calls him "Drastanta, Tempest of Starlight", and includes his Celestial Lance as a (badass) wargear choice for HQs. The fluff on him mentions that he disappeared after Asurmen's last stand (well, before being revived umpteen times), but his Lance has been passed on from Eldar to Eldar. Yaaaaay! That combined with the "Wraith Spider" who miiiight be the Warp Spiders Phoenix Lord means we've got a more complete view of the PLs.

Wonder how the Shining Spear and Crimson Hunter Phoenix Lords handle needing a vehicle for their style of combat - perhaps their armour's built into their legendary Jetbike/Aircraft? I'd be pretty into Drastanta looking like some kinda Jetbike-centaur.

Also, does a Phoenix Lord NEED to be one of the students of Asurmen? I mean, we know from the Striking Scorpions that the Lord needn't be the primogenitor of the Aspect - could an Exarch who isn't from one of the original Aspects exemplify his/her Path enough that he/she leaves a strong enough psychic imprint in the armour for it to act as a Phoenix Lord?

On a rules note, how about using Battle Brother Dark Eldar allies to act as the Aspects who lack rules? Slicing Orbs of Zandros, Crystal Dragons and Eagle Pilots. Plus, seems like Power from Pain could be swapped for Battle Focus without unbalancing anything, and the changes to Exarch Powers makes them a lot less central to the "feel" of Aspect Warriors.

Regarding the vehicular aspects, isn't the spirit of the phoenix lord technically in the spirit stones of his or her armor, rather than the armor itself? If that's the case, then you could just have a phoenix lord jetbike and a phoenix lord Nightshade.

Ooo, like anyone who mounts the Jetbike/enters the cockpit "becomes" the Phoenix Lord? That'd be pretty awesome, feels very myth-y.

First-Captain

does leave the question of what happens if said vehicle is blown to pieces though... but that's kinda a general problem with the concept - none of the Phoenix Lords seems to ever have been hit by a meltagun, or worse yet, Titan-class weaponry, because those surely wouldn't leave enough of the armour for some exarch strolling by to put it on...

Assuming their armour is as easily destroyed as regular armour, we really don't know enough to say. Complete speculation but you could even have the suit based around an indestructible core that regrows itself or gets sucked into the webway when the suit suffers a critical amount of damage.

I'm actually a bit cranky that we've had two moe Phoenix Lords added to the background in the past few years and both had to be male, as if a 5/1 ratio wasn't bad enough before.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

There's fluff of karandras' armour being rent asunder, open tears, enough to indicated disembowelment kind of damage.
    As long as some of the stones survive (an exarch suit is studded with lots of stones - a PL moreso, I would surmise that the PL/exarch can return. It's plot armour. It survives because it has to.

Veteran-Sergeant

At least they added mention of a Matriarchical Craftworld in the Codex. Which is of course impossible to play competitively because of its reliance on Banshees... But even that continues the same trend of gender segregation. One of the things I liked about the Path books was that gender is shown as irrelevant in Eldar culture and thus you saw a 50/50 representation throughout Alaitoc.

I honestly don't understand why that never translated into the game. 1 in 4 Guardian torsos are female, as is one shining spear and a Phoenix lord, but that is pretty much it. No Autarch, Farseer and other Aspects. Hopefully there will be a new Iyanna model.
    Donate to the Free Isha Fund today! Bathe regularly and help disinfect the warp with clean dreams.

Yeah, it's a shame the Craftworld Eldar don't have the same 6/4, 4/6 gender ratios in the Dark Eldar Wych and Warrior kits. Variety like that makes a force feel much less cookie-cutter

I suppose the Warp Spiders Lord could turn out to be female - the "spider lady" archetype is fairly common, and 40k does love its common archetypes. There could be a fun bit of fluff with her fighting the "usurper" Wraith Spider, mirroring the Arha/Karandas battle.

Plus, we'll probably get some new Aspects whenever the finecast ones get plastic kits (since it'd be difficult to make, say, Warp Spiders a dual kit with another, existing unit, so better to invent a new unit with a similar body/armour), perhaps those new Aspects might have a female Phoenix Lord.

Veteran-Sergeant

Any model could potentially be female, the idea of individual breast cups on armor is a bad idea. When in combat the valley between these cups creates a point where weapons tend to slide towards the middle, as opposed to outwards as they should, and thus up to the throat. Combat effective armor for women should have a single raised section at most more like a sports bra, but alot of chest armor for women is built much inline with it's male counterpart.

Shave down the waist abit and make the hips more pronounced, and throw on a female looking head and it's easy enough.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingbantha View Post
    Any model could potentially be female, the idea of individual breast cups on armor is a bad idea. When in combat the valley between these cups creates a point where weapons tend to slide towards the middle, as opposed to outwards as they should, and thus up to the throat. Combat effective armor for women should have a single raised section at most more like a sports bra, but alot of chest armor for women is built much inline with it's male counterpart.

Shave down the waist abit and make the hips more pronounced, and throw on a female looking head and it's easy enough.
    This. I hate female Eldar armour, what's with the sculpted breast cups? Just have a slightly raised section if needs be. Apparently all female Eldar have huge breasts that need to be separated by their armour? Really silly.

I just assume some of my aspect warriors are female. The armour bulks out, so you couldn't tell the difference anyway. That Striking Scorpion could be male or female, they have pretty big armour for Eldar so the gender would be obscured. I suppose it's different for Howling Banshees, who have much more slender armour, but it still bulks out and wouldn't be as pronounced as it is, and as said by bantha, wouldn't have a valley for weapons to get purchase in.

It's a bit of an odd subject to talk about, but I think it's worth mentioning. I would be tempted to do some conversion work on my Banshees, but they probably won't see the table anyway so there doesn't seem to be much point. I may well do so with my Guardians though, even if it's just a bit of filing and filling to make them look less daft.

On OPs subject, why does the Iyanden book have the Celestial Lance? It even says in the Eldar codex that Saim-Hann have it, (Nuadhu specifically) as well they should. Oh well, hopefully they'll get it wielded by Nuadhu if they get a book. I doubt they'll make models, but it would be nice to see, and the Warp Spider and Crimson Hunter will hopefully be female to set more of a balance. I thought the Shadow Spectres Phoenix Lord was female, but apparently not. Not that I really acknowledge the Shadow Spectres much anyway. They have no role of their own. What aspect of Khaine are they? The aspect of floatyness?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast