BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikea Question

Brother-Sergeant

Default Nikea Question

Hey guys, I probably missed this along the way, but I've gone back and read and can't come up with an answer on my own. I've read Thousands Sons, Prospero Burns, and plenty of GW material on the issue but I don't understand how the legions and especially the Space Wolves are seriously able to bring charges against Magnis and the K-Sons, what is the distinction they draw between their own librarians and the Sons? Like Wydmake claims there is this great distintion between sorcery and psyker stuff, how can he be serious? Can somebody help me here? Also, did the Death Guard not use Librarians at all?
    Innocence Proves Nothing

Librarian

just like the real life [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea"]nicea[/URL]

it was mostly just finger pointing and hearsay.
    the fact that the 1KS used warp entities as foci was one of the major damning points. magnus was told to stop and carry on with the crusade but he didnt and carried on learning, his destiny was going to be to become the most powerful psychic entity in the universe, both guardian and conduit for the humanised entrance to the webway.... a role that killed the 2nd most powerful psycher after the emperor, and a role the emperor still has now.

commune with entities, unfocused power and unchecked arrogance with it, was the main reason.... but also the emperors failings in not telling magnus the truth were the main reasons... even though it was too late as magnus had already stopped the fleshchange, a bargain with the changer of ways.

It used to be that Psyker = using your own mental powers, Sorcery = using daemonic powers to augment your own. Recent fluff has muddied that up, though.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Codpiece View Post
    just like the real life [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea"]nicea[/URL]
    Father Christmas punched Arius in the face!? Man, that would have made studying the Church Fathers so much more interesting if they'd told us that
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Father Christmas punched Arius in the face!? Man, that would have made studying the Church Fathers so much more interesting if they'd told us that
    oh i need to remember that one the Mrs will have our little one into RE at school, so ill have to sneak in 1KS and prospero burns as an example of a modern spin LOL

though given my age and the age of the council of nicea..... i always see disagreements in roman times as gladiatorial.... and my age that means scantily clad ladies on a bucking bronco hitting each other with foam batons or imagining myself as the challenger being straddled by 'jet' on the hanging rings happy days of late 80's early 90's childhood hahahaha

sorry for the derail.... its that time of night

A better question is 'When did the edict of Nikea get lifted'? In M41 we have librarians again, but I don't recall seeing when they became mainstream again.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mrchilidog View Post
    A better question is 'When did the edict of Nikea get lifted'? In M41 we have librarians again, but I don't recall seeing when they became mainstream again.
    It'll happen in the Horus Heresy novels. Psykers are needed to fight daemons.

Chapter-Master

Thats something thats mentioned in Know No Fear. The Ultramarines postulate that Nikea was manipulated, and happened as a means to help the Heresy, by taking away the Loyalists means to fight Chaos And that it would need to be repealed as soon as they can
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Librarian

it is hinted in burden of duty also, but dorn always knew he would need his psychers, so kept them close..... locked in a wardrobe on the phalanx LOL

also the lion does not like the decision and in 'the lion' he gives a very clear F U to his chief chaplain about whet he thinks of the decree.

i think there will be a book covering the lifting of the decree, as malcador likes the fact that marines are not allowed to use powers... i can see girlyman or sanguinius and dorn in a face off with malcador i have often thought when reading the HH books malcador is very much 'for' horus a lot of the time and seems to have a lot of insight into the plans of the unfolding heresy.

Brother-Captain

Based on the DH and RT fluff it seems that if you communicate, bargain with or otherwise interact with warp entities it is considered sorcery, because you're persuading the immaterium to do what you want it to. A pure psyker deliberately ignores warp entities and forces the immaterium to do what they want by sheer willpower. So a lot of low level unsanctioned psykers aren't sorcerers because they don't know what they're doing or who to deal with but high level followers of chaos almost always are sorcerers because it makes life easier to play nice with the daemons.

I haven't read the Thousand Sons books but it seems in character for them to have been studying what they could of the denizens of the warp (even if they didn't realise there were full fledged daemons there are the more mindless 'fauna') which would be counted as sorcery while other Librarians were in effect borrowing power from the warp without those interactions and the associated risk of corruption and thus considered more acceptable.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast