BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default 40K Army Popularity - with DATA!!

First of all, go here:
    [URL="http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/07/academic-study-of-tabletop-wargamers.html"]Academic Study of Tabletop Wargamers: The Results are in! Part 3: Wargames and Armies We Play[/URL]

Then look at the chart of what armies players own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40kArmies.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	4319

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WFBArmies.jpg 
Views:	20622 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	4320

Interesting stuff.

Here's my question - Why is the delta as a ratio between the most popular and least popular army in 40K more than double what it in in Fantasy?

40K: Most popular: Space marines: 1075
    40K: Least popular: Sisters of Battle: 293

WFB: Most popular: Warriors of Chaos: 306
    WFB: Least popular: Tomb Kings: 149
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

My question is, what armies do the people who responded 'other' play? "Oh, I play [X], you've probably never heard of them. It's a homebrew, none of that commercialized power creep the mainstream codices try to shove down our throats."
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    My question is, what armies do the people who responded 'other' play? "Oh, I play [X], you've probably never heard of them. It's a homebrew, none of that commercialized power creep the mainstream codices try to shove down our throats."
    I'm guessing Dark Angels/Black Templars since they're not otherwise on the list (unless people lumped them in with Marines, but then it's hard to explain the Blood Angels). Though I'm surprised the number for that is so low because of DV, unless people saw that DA/BT weren't on the list and answered Space Marines.

Don't forget those Squat players!

Actually, up until recently I would have answered Other with my Harlequin army. I stopped playing when I stopped being a stand alone army. When I started, we could get Land Raiders!

Occuli Imperator

I think that 40k is more black and white than fantasy.
    40k has good guys and it has bad guys. Whereas fantasy it isn't quite so clear cut.
    A lot of 40k players are fairly young and the idea of playing the hereo is a good thing.

Space marines are the poster boys, they are the first army everyone learns to play (well not everyone but a lot of people) they have always been in the box, whereas the fantasy box have had many different combos.

It reminds me of a conversation I had at the weekend. One of my friends asked when I was going to visit as no one plays space marines in his gamer group (25-35 aged group), one of our friends was quick with the repartee, that there are plenty of marine players, they are just all eight...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    My question is, what armies do the people who responded 'other' play?
    Other likely represents GW official armies that have since been cancelled - Lost and the Damned, Kroot Mercenaries, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Here's my question - Why is the delta as a ratio between the most popular and least popular army in 40K more than double what it in in Fantasy?

40K: Most popular: Space marines: 1075
    40K: Least popular: Sisters of Battle: 293

WFB: Most popular: Warriors of Chaos: 306
    WFB: Least popular: Tomb Kings: 149
    The key note out is that there were 2,321 total "valid" respondents, and that only about 40% of them play Fantasy at all, whereas 75% play 40k. Given that Space Marines have been in every single starter from 2nd Ed to date, and that Space Marines are actually represented as several flavors in the poll, it's likely that at least 95% of the 40k players play at least 1 flavor of (Chaos) Space Marines.

Guard and CSM each capturing more than half of the 40k player base is more interesting.

Librarian

In this data set, Warhammer 40K players each have 4.6 armies, while Fantasy players collect 3.7. Almost an entire extra army for 40k players.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

less work required per army?

In terms of number of miniatures required.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Also, does Fantasy have the equivalent of the AOBR style kits that make it super easy and cheap to pick up SMs?

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho11 View Post
    I'm guessing Dark Angels/Black Templars since they're not otherwise on the list (unless people lumped them in with Marines, but then it's hard to explain the Blood Angels). Though I'm surprised the number for that is so low because of DV, unless people saw that DA/BT weren't on the list and answered Space Marines.
    That makes sense. No one plays Black Templar.

Quote Originally Posted by GrauGeist View Post
    Other likely represents GW official armies that have since been cancelled - Lost and the Damned, Kroot Mercenaries, for example.
    And that wouldn't fall under the purview of my hipster quote?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast