BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Help with Space Marine army idea - Units listed

Hey everyone,

I started playing Eldar, and I love it. But I want to put together a Space Marine force so that I can introduce others to the game with a pretty straight-forward army that they can pick up and "point and click" their way to a competitive game. At the same time, I'll be buying, building, and painting them myself, so I want something I enjoy. I also want to keep costs down, though, so hopefully I can make use of the DV set I have, along with the SM Battleforce that I purchased a little while back.

The problem is I can't find a single chapter that I like; however, there are units from different ones that I enjoy. So my plan was to try to put together an allied force using as many units that are at the top of my list as possible. I'm just not sure what's going to do that!

Units I would like to include (in order of my love of the models):
    Dark Angels - Deathwing Knights
    Space Marines - Sternguard Veterans
    Blood Angels - Sanguinary Guard
    Shrike (though I'm assuming I can use him as a generic HQ in another army, and if rumors are correct, I can take his Combat Tactics: Fleet in the new codex, which is a huge draw for me)
    Space Marines - Sniper Scouts
    Dark Angels - Asmodai

Also, I'm not a huge fan of bikes, but I can throw them in the list if it's going to make it solid.

I'm a little confused over the Sternguard Veterans - I'm pretty sure Dark Angels can't take them, but GW has that box set under the DA as an elite choice. Any clarification there?

I'll probably end up using the Allies rules to make a force, and then create my own chapter that explains the weird assortment of characters and troops. But I need to make a legal force with as many of these units as possible first, and I'm having trouble figuring out a way to maximize that! I'm thinking a Blood Angels force, maybe trying to kitbash the Shrike figure into a Blood Angels HQ, with DA allies, but if I can get something that works better with the units listed above, I'm all ears! Especially since I think I'd prefer a DA main force with Termies as troops.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Idaho11; 07-01-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Could take a dark angels main force with space marine allies, or vice versa. Generic space marines are up for a new codex soonish and DA all ready have a 6th edition codex, can't really go wrong either way you go there.

Veteran-Sergeant

Because so much marketing has been based on Ultramarines, I'd buy a battalion or mega-force to start. That is the face of 40k and I bet an ultra-marine is the most iconic of all the basic troopers.

Now, they can take Sternguard Vets and you can add any special characters you like. Maybe if you don't like the blue of Ultramarines, you can make a Crusade army and paint each unit a different scheme and add more special characters.
    "Technically correct is the best kind of correct."
    WHFB: Dwarf - TK - Empire - Goblin 40k: SW - IG - Ork

Also I don't know why sternguard are in the DA section, dark angels can not take sternguard and their closest analogue is veterans, who don't have access to the nifty special issue bolter rounds that sternguard do.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Power Klawz View Post
    Also I don't know why sternguard are in the DA section, dark angels can not take sternguard and their closest analogue is veterans, who don't have access to the nifty special issue bolter rounds that sternguard do.
    but the models work just fine as DA veterans, and as far as I'm aware there aren't exactly many alternatives... so that's probably that...

Alpha Legion Operative

looks like a DA army with BA allies is a possibility, (wohoo Angels of Death!) though to get all your units in one force org you'd need your allied detachment to be:

HQ
    Dante

Elite
    Sternguard

Troops
    Sanguinary Guard

That would then give you chance to use your Dark vengeance units as your core DA force, led by Asmodai?

Dont have the DA codex, but assume this would be ok?

HQ
    Asmodai

Elites
    Terminators (dv)

Troops
    Tac squad (dv)
    Tac squad (battle force)
    Combat squad (bf)
    Rhino
    Scout snipers (bf)

Fast
    Assault squad (bf)
    Bikers (dv)

Looks legal with my 2am brain, think I included all of your requests and models? Adding the Libby in is possible and you can always run the assault squad as BA using shrike as a counts as BA captain if you want to leave out the sternguard.
    Last edited by ACE01; 07-01-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by ACE01 View Post
    looks like a DA army with BA allies is a possibility, (wohoo Angels of Death!) though to get all your units in one force org you'd need your allied detachment to be:

HQ
    Dante

Elite
    Sternguard

Troops
    Sanguinary Guard

That would then give you chance to use your Dark vengeance units as your core DA force, led by Asmodai?

Dont have the DA codex, but assume this would be ok?

HQ
    Asmodai

Elites
    Terminators (dv)

Troops
    Tac squad (dv)
    Tac squad (battle force)
    Combat squad (bf)
    Rhino
    Scout snipers (bf)

Fast
    Assault squad (bf)
    Bikers (dv)

Looks legal with my 2am brain, think I included all of your requests and models? Adding the Libby in is possible and you can always run the assault squad as BA using shrike as a counts as BA captain if you want to leave out the sternguard.
    EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions as well!

Alpha Legion Operative

No problem, glad it was useful!

Do check in with someone who has codex Dark Angels though to be sure of the force org.

Might also want to consider a heavy choice. A single devastator box combined with your combat squad from the battle force would give you two 5 man dev squads, or a single 10man squad as options.

Enjoy your Angels of Death!