BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldar Tactica

Brother-Captain

I'm not really seeing much point in Wraithblades when you could just have D-scythes instead. They'll win pretty much any combat because Overwatch D3 S4 AP2 Ignores Cover Instant Death on 6 hits each.

As for Striking Scorpions, I generally have pretty good success with them. Great for killing off backfield annoyances, and very much capable of taking on frontline units if you need them to. Scorpions Claw of course. Also they still have Bladestorm and Battle Focus, so while they aren't in assault range they can still kill off a few guys pretty well, or even if you just want to put more firepower into a unit you don't want to assault.

the scytheguard are brilliant in a serpent but do get pricey at 42pts a pop... probably good for more serious games... but likely to lose you friends in a more social game !

Chaplain

I was wondering what people though on the viability of 3 Nightspinners with Crystal Targeting Matrix's for a turn 1 alpha strike?

That's 3 torrent templates with pseudo rending that are possibly S8. Death to just about any vehicle, and with the turbo boost, the nightspinners can get into any arc they wish. Toast any infantry squad they choose. The rest of the army would possibly be wave serpents or something, here's a quick write up

Farseer
    Jetbike

Warlock
    Jetbike

10 Jetbikes
    3x Shuricans

5 DA
    Waveserpent
    TL-SC, SC, HF

5 DA
    Waveserpent
    TL-SC, SC, HF

5 DA
    Waveserpent
    TL-SC, SC, HF

5 DA
    Waveserpent
    TL-BL, HF

5 DA
    Waveserpent
    TL-BL, HF

Nightspinner
    CTM, HF

Nightspinner
    CTM, HF

Nightspinner
    CTM, HF

imo if you are going mechdar, which gets points pricey, you are just as well to advance the formation together...

keep spinners at the back for safety and lob 48" blasts, anything on foot closing up and you have torrent and serpent shield to deal with it, anyone who tries to focus on the spinners can be out manouvere...

although the cheapest load out on the serpent seems fine put TL BL ontop and leave out chin gun, drop CTM.s {HF is a personal choice ... but i think they are XP }... this makes the serpents no 1 threat .... saves you loads of points... and keeps the spinners safe as rear arc fire support...

my personal preference for troop loadout is a mix of mini DA {cheapest} mini fraggons {at/teq threat} and one or two units of stormies .... put 2x fusion gun and a spear lock in and they can be very versatile ! {now they are BS4}

ive tried the ctm trick ... but a smart opponent can pretty much block it and then annihilate the spinners ... and one game in 3 thats 3 HS choices gone.... oops -3 VP

ran a new 'concept' army the other day, narrowly won the 1st game 8-6 on overall obj pts [adepticon scenarios], tabled 2nd opponent, 3rd opponent ran away [was scissors against paper]... bought him a beer !

fairly maxed out nobz-biker star as allied unit circa 770pts...
    jetseer star with two farseers and all the gubbins... 12 st9 spears made short work of nid warriors and necron wraith...
    +3 units of min/max DA to pop on for rear area support and taking 'home' objectives, 8 units only !

anyone tried it ??

In dealing with Strength D Eldar super heavies walkers, isn't it best to go full on sky flying armies so as to be only shot with snap shots therefore no D damage?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nid Bits View Post
    In dealing with Strength D Eldar super heavies walkers, isn't it best to go full on sky flying armies so as to be only shot with snap shots therefore no D damage?
    Generally speaking, yes. While certain lists can counter Phantoms decently, a lot of take-all-comers lists will struggle against one.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Chapter-Master

So I'm going to try not and gripe much in this post, but last night I got tabled in 2 turns with my Eldar vs the new IG. First time in my gaming life I had been tabled so fast. My list was admittedly not great. I wanted to bring my FW fliers into the list because I'm moving and I'm about to pack them away for the summer.

I got accused at my store of playing a cheesey Iyanden list that didn't even use the Iyanden supplement rules so I'm pretty sensitive to playing self-nerfing lists now. This means that I can't take farseers, wraithknights or wave seprents by my own rules. Last night I took Karandras, Spiritseer, two full squads of scorpions, two squads of DA, two min squads of rangers, a fireprism, a hemlock, two nightwings, a phoenix bomber and an aegis line with icarus lascannon.

I played the new IG, and seriously had the most un-fun game of 40k ever. Every time he fired a unit (everything was prescienced and ignored cover) one full squad disappeared. Wyverns, prescienced blobs of fearless guardsmen first/secondranking me.... just totally unfun. I saw that my list was a problem but it opened my eyes to an issue... I don't think that eldar on foot can work anymore. At least the way they used to work.

There is simply so much "ignores cover" out there. Between orders and perfect timing and wyverns, I didn't get a SINGLE cover save the entire game (nightwings and scorpions are sad). I was trying to think of how the heck we can survive in a game where can't take cover saves anymore. How do our fragile foot troops survive? Everytime the Wyvern battery fired, it would do no less than 25 wounds to my dudes. The conscripts did 40 wounds to my striking scorpions. I just don't know how to deal with these types of numbers.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    So I'm going to try not and gripe much in this post, but last night I got tabled in 2 turns with my Eldar vs the new IG. First time in my gaming life I had been tabled so fast. My list was admittedly not great. I wanted to bring my FW fliers into the list because I'm moving and I'm about to pack them away for the summer.

I got accused at my store of playing a cheesey Iyanden list that didn't even use the Iyanden supplement rules so I'm pretty sensitive to playing self-nerfing lists now. This means that I can't take farseers, wraithknights or wave seprents by my own rules. Last night I took Karandras, Spiritseer, two full squads of scorpions, two squads of DA, two min squads of rangers, a fireprism, a hemlock, two nightwings, a phoenix bomber and an aegis line with icarus lascannon.

I played the new IG, and seriously had the most un-fun game of 40k ever. Every time he fired a unit (everything was prescienced and ignored cover) one full squad disappeared. Wyverns, prescienced blobs of fearless guardsmen first/secondranking me.... just totally unfun. I saw that my list was a problem but it opened my eyes to an issue... I don't think that eldar on foot can work anymore. At least the way they used to work.

There is simply so much "ignores cover" out there. Between orders and perfect timing and wyverns, I didn't get a SINGLE cover save the entire game (nightwings and scorpions are sad). I was trying to think of how the heck we can survive in a game where can't take cover saves anymore. How do our fragile foot troops survive? Everytime the Wyvern battery fired, it would do no less than 25 wounds to my dudes. The conscripts did 40 wounds to my striking scorpions. I just don't know how to deal with these types of numbers.
    not sure what you expect when you take the (arguably) three best units out of the codex and play against someone who doesn't limit himself in such a way... sounds like his list just plain countered yours - don't worry, you'll get your revenge on those pesky mon-keigh! But IG sound like they're a codex that we will need all the tools in our arsenal to win against, so next time use some of those (not saying play WS-spam - but don't completely gimp yourself either, because the results of bringing a fragile army without transports against Wyvrens is only ever going to be painful...)
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrendian View Post
    not sure what you expect when you take the (arguably) three best units out of the codex and play against someone who doesn't limit himself in such a way... sounds like his list just plain countered yours - don't worry, you'll get your revenge on those pesky mon-keigh! But IG sound like they're a codex that we will need all the tools in our arsenal to win against, so next time use some of those (not saying play WS-spam - but don't completely gimp yourself either, because the results of bringing a fragile army without transports against Wyvrens is only ever going to be painful...)
    well, here's the thing, I don't know how much a couple of wave serpents would have helped me. The heavy weapons teams would shoot them out of the sky with prescience and the ignores cover orders. They simply don't work when you can't get a jink save (Something my nightwing found out first hand).

As for a farseer... where am I going to put him? The wyverns can snipe him out of any squad he wants on the board, even out of LOS. The only thing that could possible help me is to run a wraith-heavy list, but then again, the amount of str 7+ heavy weapons they can bring to bear would quickly widdle down any force I could think about presenting.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast