BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldar Tactica

Chapter-Master

Yeah they aren't the most obvious unit in its application, but a lot have reported better performance with their Night Spinners than Fire Prisms. Of course, YMMV.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by cebalrai View Post
    Night Spinners have been great for me. One thing to keep in mind is that barrage hits side armor on vehicles and that due to lack of initiative values on them the gun hits at +1S. So there's a little more flexibility here that you might see at first glance.
    Huh. I completely missed the +1S for vehicles.

Nice!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gargoyle View Post
    Attachment 5336

The picture is an experiment to see if it could be done. But Scorpions are my favourite CC unit at the moment. The question is, are Wraithblades worth the price and even more so is there a use for the axe and shield job? I spoke to a lad who uses the Wraithblades but with just the ghost swords. Argues that is all you need and anything with a 2+ Sv gets shot.
    I've been running a unit of 10 of them while I labor through painting the models. They are tough but not nearly as tough as you think they are. In my opinion the axe/shield combo is the only one worth taking. Wraithguard are plasma magnets as they are and when you give them a Str 7 AP2 melee attack they're even scarier to opponents. I've come to think of them much like a 10 wound MC in the way that if I lose 5 before they get to combat I'm still doing alright in the long run.

Giving your opponent alternate targets while your Wraithaxes mozy across the battlefield is of course important to keeping them alive.

Personally speaking however, I've been widely disillusioned with Eldar assault units outside of anything on a jetbike. Scorpions tend to get chewed up before getting into combat and wraithblades are typically taking 2 or 3 rounds of punishment before they can be a threat to a smart opponent. Haven't used harlequins, don't intend to honestly. I've actually had great luck with shining spears. Their ability to get in your opponents face turn 1 really makes them a solid unit. Toss fortune on them and all of a sudden you have a resilient little standalone melee unit (not as resilient as the seer council but not much is)
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chaplain

I don't believe it, every time I think I'm getting a handle on the new codex another Kelly curve ball hits me in the face. Now I know I should have read the codex cover to cover and then asked myself what's changed but really. My latest discovery was with Jet Bikes.

They have two special rules, Ancient Doom and Battle Focus. Now Ancient Doom is just there in the background because I have not seen a Slaneesh army in a decade. Literally. But I figured that Battle Focus meant that the bikes could Turbo boost and shoot. Wrong. Battle Focus is purely for running. So fair enough no shooting off turbo boost it did seem like overkill, (Sorry about that). But what is the point of adding a special skill to a unit that can not use it? I mean a component of the points cost is their skills which means the unit is costed with no real skills applicable to it.

The GW guy said it was for the theme of the army. So why are there units that do not have this ability, Harlequins for a start. What is with Kelly and his contra intuitive thinking??? Having said that, you can shoot and then move in the assault phase with bikes. But its not going to happen in the first turn unless you have a Shuriken Cannon.

I am going to push through with my experiment on bikes for a while. After all a couple of battles is hardly indicative of the way they play. And bikes seem to be the best use for Warlocks, I recently gamed 3 in a 750 point battle and they took some punishment before they went. They also took a firestorm redoubt with them.

So Wraith Blades. Worth it, or just make another 5 Wraith Guard?

Depends what else you have, but the usual answer is shooty > chargey.

no real cc units to speak of. I have a unit of scorps and banshees and harlequins but they rarely see the light of day. Usually Ill run 2 units of WG in Wave Serps with some spirit seers to buff, a WK and maybe a Wraith Lord. I own a Wraith Seer, a pile of guardians and DAs, 2 squads of FDs, a squad of Spiders, some walkers, a crimson hunter (that ive been using as a fw nightwing for some success)

Mainly my army is shooty but wouldn't mind a squad of cc wraiths for fun if they performed well. Im thinking with just 1 attack, they will just be outassaulted.

Chaplain

Mainly my army is shooty but wouldn't mind a squad of cc wraiths for fun if they performed well. Im thinking with just 1 attack, they will just be outassaulted.
    Not really, AP3 weapons with S5 strike and I4 WS4, get them into assault first and the only units likely to stand up to them are Terminators & really big mobs/swarms etc... a unit of 6 supported by a wraithlord stood up a 20 man squad of Khorne Berzerkers. Of course nothing lasts forever.

wraithblades !

"Mainly my army is shooty but wouldn't mind a squad of cc wraiths for fun if they performed well. Im thinking with just 1 attack, they will just be outassaulted."

^^ this ! ... lovely models ... and yes axes are better as you get higher ST and an IV save ... but ONE attack c'mon GW lets get some rules right in a codex that was five years overdue !

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mcturk View Post
    wraithblades !

"Mainly my army is shooty but wouldn't mind a squad of cc wraiths for fun if they performed well. Im thinking with just 1 attack, they will just be outassaulted."

^^ this ! ... lovely models ... and yes axes are better as you get higher ST and an IV save ... but ONE attack c'mon GW lets get some rules right in a codex that was five years overdue !
    Yep, one of my gripes with the codex as well. Even if Wraithblades were +5 points more per model than they already are, that extra attack would still have been worth it.

On another note, I've been thinking about making Eldar my new Primary army. I've got about 1000 of them at the moment, with the extra 500 to come in the form of two Wave Serpents and a Wraithknight. This would give me my full 1500 themed Ulthwe Wraith list. The cost of revolutionizing my Tyranid army (as it stands it is basically illegal if I want to run it like I did in the old codex) is going to be the same as buying an entirely new 2500 point Warhammer Fantasy army, and I'm still not as sold on myself having fun with them again. I'm thinking if I ever evolve a competitive Eldar build out of my codex it won't be a pure Mechdar list, but one using lots of mixed stuff such as War Walkers, Warp Spiders, Swooping Hawks and Striking Scorpion for an intense pressure-based force. Have to work it out as I go.

On a side note, I really need to get rid of the 5K points of 40K Chaos stuff I have....And I've got 250 points of Crimson Fists and 750 points of Necrons just sitting there with no love Oh well, I guess I've learned my lesson of not starting armies too rapidly.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast