BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldar Tactica

First-Captain

if the -2bs thingy applies to snap shots (which is what I heard - nothing in particular about it applying to overwatch...) then Dark Reapers become quite the scary AA unit all of a sudden... pricey sure, but in addition to the Exarch doubletapping an Icarus on Interceptor, with twin-linking they'll suddenly provide something like 4 hits at S8 on average dice (assuming Starstrike missiles obviously), which is plenty enough to worry most any flier...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

The recent boost in guardian bs makes the minus 2 snap shot a boost to us.

Here is something that is puzzling me if a psyker takes all powers from same discipline gets primaris free and warlocks can only chose from 1 discipline does this mean they (and all level 1 psykers ) gain 2 powers auto. The fact that powers no longer rely of ld is a boost to them. And now that blessings can be nullified makes the more versatile maldictions ( blessings could only boost seer councils and guardians) jet councils could be very nasty indeed

Dave l
    Davel miniature painter http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelminiturepainter/sets/

Chapter-Master

Here is something that is puzzling me if a psyker takes all powers from same discipline gets primaris free and warlocks can only chose from 1 discipline does this mean they (and all level 1 psykers ) gain 2 powers auto.
    We wont find out until saturday. If so, then think about the Hemlock... if it gets terrify, then it will also get whatever the new primaris power is for telepathy.... on that note...

One thing that was mentioned in the WD is that the psychic phase is between the movement and shooting. You know what this means? This means that the hemlock all of a sudden got a lot better - being able to cast terrify the same turn it comes in. You can now pick a unit, land on top of it, then cast terrify on it to get the re-roll on the LD check. Out of the two flyers we have in the book, I've always been more of a fan of the hemlock as I felt that its been under-appreciated. I can't name all of the deathstars that I've made run away with it - and it seems like it will be getting better next weekend in at least one aspect.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Agreed on the hemlock, plus with the new rumoured 2 turns where ever you like it will will be tricky to hide from it.

Dave l
    Davel miniature painter http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelminiturepainter/sets/

Chaplain

While it has been a while since some one posted on this thread, I thought that this might be a reasonable place to post. The subject is the tactical use of Banshees.

I used a squad of 7 of them as a filler for an assault unit in a thousand point tourney I am involved in. It is basically a go at gaming with Ed'7 because I really have not gamed since the new rule set came out except for the odd casual stouche with the lad.

Anyway, the initial impressions were that Banshees were nerffed to death. It would appear to be the case with acrobatics reduced to a 3" run move, no move through cover, no plasma grenades, in fact if it was not for the 4+Sv storm guardians would out perform them. Butt!!! in the 3 games I played, everyone was wary of them and doing everything to get them before they got into assault. They drew the attention from the Storm Guardian unit to allow it to get close and shoot a couple of units to death with fusion guns and blade storm.

So those AP3 swords do seem to scare even Grey Knights, which begs the question, does this make them worth it?

By the way, 3 games Narrow win over SM's, anihilated by Grey Knights when some sanctus power killed everything in one hit. And narrow win over Nurgle plaguers. Jetlocks working well.

jetlocks ! lol. used to like them but the 'new' magic rules just mean they rarely get decent powers - and even more rarely get them off ! bring back proper warlock auto-powers ! [might be me but i always get multiple 'run' and 'strength' - both pointless for jetlocks!] [used to run 10 - 6 spears and 6 destructorz ]

just b1tch1n !

seriously though DE wyches are as good as banshees and far cheaper - all my quins and shees i now use as 'counts as' ! [shame they lost haywire grenades as an option - but at least it keeps them cheaper !]

if you want to terrify an oppo with a c/c threat stick an Archon in there !

Chaplain

Still not sure about the Banshee? After 5 games, they got into combat twice, once unresolved as the game ended first and once against a Chaos Lord on a bike. The Lord was down to one wound and when the Banshee charged he issued a challenge. The exarch stepped up with mirror blades and struck first courtesy of the mask and inflicted two wounds. The Lord failed its invuln' for one and was dead.

The hassle was though it was a local club tournament and we never got more than 3 turns in for a 1000 pt battle. That alone will mean in the future I'm taking shooty Dar, Dark Reapers to be precise, 2 x Serpents, a Spirit Seer and two Wraitguard, one with D'Scyth and the other with W/Cannon, & a warlock for each unit. The serpents will have the crystal targeting matrix, 30" accross the board, unload two shield shots and dismount the WG next turn for a bake session. All on the weekest flank. Risky but fun if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gargoyle View Post
    Still not sure about the Banshee? After 5 games, they got into combat twice, once unresolved as the game ended first and once against a Chaos Lord on a bike. The Lord was down to one wound and when the Banshee charged he issued a challenge. The exarch stepped up with mirror blades and struck first courtesy of the mask and inflicted two wounds. The Lord failed its invuln' for one and was dead.

The hassle was though it was a local club tournament and we never got more than 3 turns in for a 1000 pt battle. That alone will mean in the future I'm taking shooty Dar, Dark Reapers to be precise, 2 x Serpents, a Spirit Seer and two Wraitguard, one with D'Scyth and the other with W/Cannon, & a warlock for each unit. The serpents will have the crystal targeting matrix, 30" accross the board, unload two shield shots and dismount the WG next turn for a bake session. All on the weekest flank. Risky but fun if it works.
    think you will find that our new codex doesnt allow warlocks to join wraithguard units anymore

im running dual spirit seers on 'telepathy' but at 1000pts thats a bit pricey mb.

1000pts should be over in three turns in less than an hour !

Chaplain

think you will find that our new codex doesnt allow warlocks to join wraithguard units anymore
    I just confirmed your statement and I raise your with

I guess if I want that extra punch I will have to drop the warlocks and put the Spirit Seer with the Wraithguard. At least then he can spirit mark the target and still take the Runes of Battle powers. If he restricts himself to that he gets the Primaris power as well.

I can then follow your lead with a second SS unit (Couldn't resist it) or Farseer or Autarch.

Chaplain

On a separate thread I have decided to revisit the Banshee yet again. I was thinking, the assault I won against the Chaos Lord was a little lucky in that he failed one of his 4+ invulnerable saves. Had he not I would have been toast. With all his upgrades he would have had the fleshbane rule on a power fist with re-rolls to hit.

I should have declined the challenge and let the rest of the girls charge in. They still had the banshee mask and would have had 18 attacks. I rolled it out a couple of times and on average this lead to 5 wounds which was almost always going to lead to 2 fails.

Also if I give the Exarch a glaive and Shield of Grace, she could tie up an enemy character for a turn or two with a reasonable chance of inflicting wounds, 3+ inv' & S5 AP2 attacks.

Of course the primary issue remains, how to get into assault. Ridiculously they are slowed by rough terrain, and only strike at I1 if assaulting through cover or rough terrain. Unlike their Scorpion counter parts, though they too will struggle to actually assault.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast