BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Eldar Tactica

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Ix View Post
    We (the guys I play against and myself) have come to the conclusion that to get a balanced game of 40k, 3000 pts is the magic number, it's enough to get some diversity in the armies and can still be played in less than a day (just).
    is that singles or doubles ?

Chaplain

I rather think an individual can get a reasonably well balanced unit with 1500 points or there abouts. I recently adjusted my tactical thinking to deal with a player that castles with a Cohort Cybernetica. I suddenly realised that I could field a long range shooty army that would not play into his hands.

That is, a GD sqd with star cannon, Dark Reaper squad, Wraith Lord, Rangers as a long range fire base. A battery of D-Cannon with a Warlock. And a Wave Serpent with WG with D-Scythes and a Spirit Seer accompanied by a jet bike squad. All of that plus a second Spirit Seer will fit into 1500.

The latter units only close in once the fire base has poked the bear and drawn it out of its cover. He can't sit there and cop it all day when the enemy are out of range. Then it occurred to me that the same tactics will work on Tau, who are more susceptible to pinning and moral failures. AM and SM may be a little more comfortable with it, but those D-Cannon can fire indirectly.

Chapter-Master

I've always been partial to the 2000 point mark myself, at least since 7th Edition came out anyway. All of the "mega-combinations" tend to function with added support at around that points limit without allowing the virtually immortal Phantom/Warlord titans in. Aside from the mega titans which simply don't function properly until you hit 3500 points and above, it basically allows everything to be taken with the games not taking too long due to how fast paced the games seem to be.

For Eldar specifically, they can operate at pretty much any points limit which I really adore. You don't require an excessive amount of support units/characters for the army to survive, pretty much all of the units are good in different tiers based on the points limit, they have anything from basic Terminator-shredding infantry to the second largest titan in the game, etc. Skip aside the stuff that everyone complains about and the army is truly a blast to play, especially the Aspect Warriors.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

I'm playing an 1850 tournament towards the end of the year that allows superheavies under 750 pts. I have both a Vampire and a Scorpion, which do you think would be best? I think it boils down to surviability of the Vampire (mostly snap shots only at it) vs better maneuverability on the Scorpion.

If you go with the Vampire camp, would you start it on the table in Hover mode?

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mcturk View Post
    is that singles or doubles ?
    Sorry for the delay

Both in fact and sometimes 2 on 1. They tend to take all day though
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Bejmuk View Post
    I'm playing an 1850 tournament towards the end of the year that allows superheavies under 750 pts. I have both a Vampire and a Scorpion, which do you think would be best? I think it boils down to surviability of the Vampire (mostly snap shots only at it) vs better maneuverability on the Scorpion.

Damn you got a Vampire before the mould broke?

I can't say from a game play PoV but the Vamp never impressed me until I saw the Pulsar option.

I would pro con it and decide what type of game you want to play.

Vamp
    Pro - More Dakka (with the pulsars and strafing run), more likely to survive, also anti flyer with the pulse lasers
    Cons - less moveable and more likely to find its self in a position where it can't bring the Dakka to bear.

Scorp
    Basically the polar opposite
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Bejmuk View Post

The answer to the question friends in the size of the table. 6x4 of being a Scorpion. Bigger if bring the vampire.

My vampire has a huge base on it that makes it hard to use on typical size tables though.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Hey so I just got into eldar (mainly because I loved playing the farseer in retribution:last stand using her eldritch storm, then they basically put that in actual 40k) I bought an army off of a friend, it's Iyanden themed so almost all wraith stuff, I kind of want to get more aspect warriors though, love dire avengers, any recommendation on tactics?
    Only thing I refuse to do is use the wraithknight in non apocalypse games and spam scat bikes, I may buy one squad but that will be it

Wraithguard on serpents for good times, add a spiritseer, grab some wraithlords for support.

Can't go wrong with spiders and hawks can be mobile too. Dire avengers can DAVY on a falcon maybe while wraithguard are delivered with serpents?

Let's update this thread with some Farseer discussion.

Generally 1 Farseer is usually a popular choice for most competitive lists. Do you usually choose psychic powers based on your opponent?

Psychic Focus seems to mean you want to choose all your spells from the same discipline, unless you get really lucky with your first one or two rolls.

I've been toying with the idea of choosing all my spells from Telepathy when m low-Ld (or non-Marine) armies, since the manipulation of Ld is so prevalent there.
    When against Marines, Runes of Fate or Divination seem better.

How would you decide your Farseer psychic power choices against the various armies out there?

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast