BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldar Tactica

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Edwards View Post
    So I'm having a hell of a time deciding between taking a Fire Prism or a Nightspinner in general. I was all set on the Fire Prism when I first read the codex due it to being more versatile, but I've tried out the Nightspinner a couple times and it was just amazing. That was against my normal Tau opponent though so I'm not sure if it will do quite as good again MEQ and the like. Opinions anyone?
    I've had the opposite results but to each his own. I run my NS with a CTM and charge it up first turn to flame something after moving flat out - only to gloriously die the next round. I'm going to try and have it sit back and barrage instead (escalation league so I can't get rid of it)
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    I've had the opposite results but to each his own. I run my NS with a CTM and charge it up first turn to flame something after moving flat out - only to gloriously die the next round. I'm going to try and have it sit back and barrage instead (escalation league so I can't get rid of it)
    Ah well that would be the difference, I stuck it behind some terrain to block LoS and just barraged stuff. Most turns I also guide it with my farseer for a better chance at a direct hit. Last game I play it killed his Etheral and almost the entire unit of firewarrios he was in turn 1

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Edwards View Post
    Ah well that would be the difference, I stuck it behind some terrain to block LoS and just barraged stuff. Most turns I also guide it with my farseer for a better chance at a direct hit. Last game I play it killed his Etheral and almost the entire unit of firewarrios he was in turn 1
    Barrage weapons are indeed some of the best sniper weapons in the game remarkably.

While I'm in the tactica thread - I've been trying to get Wraithblades to work. I just can't seem to get them into combat. Marching on foot they get sprayed with plasma or heldrake and take heavy casualties. If they're in a transport, the earliest they can get into combat is turn three.

What tricks have people been using to make these guys work? I love the models but I can't seem to make them do what I want them to do.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Barrage weapons are indeed some of the best sniper weapons in the game remarkably.

While I'm in the tactica thread - I've been trying to get Wraithblades to work. I just can't seem to get them into combat. Marching on foot they get sprayed with plasma or heldrake and take heavy casualties. If they're in a transport, the earliest they can get into combat is turn three.

What tricks have people been using to make these guys work? I love the models but I can't seem to make them do what I want them to do.
    Realistically, how do you get any assault unit where you want it at a time when it is permitted to assault? Assuming that your opponent is as equally skilled as you are, and assuming the dice don't skew over/under what they should, then either they have to choose to fire at something they feel more threatened by, or feel that they can hold out long enough to counter it later. Anything else has to be a tactical error on the part of your opponent, or they chose an army list that doesn't have a useful counter to your unit. It is a side-effect of the current assault rules.

From a what-can-you-do? standpoint, the only real possibilities other than footslogging and post-Wave Serpent milling-about are to either put something nearby that is somehow more threatening than Wraithblades, or stick them in an allied Raider.

Threat-vectoring and loads of Wraithblades. For their points, Striking Scorpions are just plain better at quickly getting into HtH, but if there isn't a concerted effort by multiple units to get into melee it isn't going to happen for any of them.

Alternatively use them as the second swing of a one-two punch, following a unit of Wraithguard that an enemy has to charge to avoid that S10 AP2 punishment or following up some WS'ed Dire Avengers.

I think the problem is people are seeing assault as an early-game thing, and I no longer feel that's the case. It's the follow-up in turns 3-5 to eliminate or displace enemy infantry. Only truly dedicated assault armies should be concerned with turn 2 charges, in my opinion.

I'm gonna knock the question up a notch and ask what the best way to get Wraithblades into assault with TAU would be.

How do you guys feel about a ranger themed list backed by some scorpions, and maybe some fire prisms or war walkers, led by ilic and a farseer.

Without significant Farseer support (and actually getting doom) mass rangers and or pathfinders are going to be very hit and miss.
    That and if you lose first turn to Tau / wave serpent Eldar its is going to be made of pure pain.
    They can be worth taking but I wouldn't take them as a majority

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by legalsmash View Post
    How do you guys feel about a ranger themed list backed by some scorpions, and maybe some fire prisms or war walkers, led by ilic and a farseer.
    I think that rangers and pathfinder are now relegated to 2nd-tier troops choice status with Guardians. They simply don't have the survivability against pretty much anything anymore, and their offensive output was nerfed significantly. Of course it came with a hefty price reduction as well, however I'd still only take these guys in cheap squads of 5 or so just as backfield objective campers and thats only if you have 70 points to spare in your list.

I think I'm playing too many psykers! With an Iyanden list I field two Spiritseers and a Farseer to heavily buff my Wraithguard and their supporting Wraithlords. I'm starting to think I am overdoing it -

Farseer to give the two Guard squads Guide/Prescience . . . but Spiritseers can Spiritmark so I'm only really regaining 2's to hit on the reroll.

Usually I'm able to do well with Spiritseer Runes of Battle rolls - two decent powers on one SS, and the VoT and a situationally fun power on the other, though sometimes I roll fine just fine and get neither using VoT. Then again VoT is so useful for Wraithguard, giving them a much better threat range.

I keep thinking I could drop the Farseer and a Spiritseer for a more killy HQ choice, while keeping VoT. Then again when I roll really well for my psychic powers those two Wraithguard become a nigh-unkillable wall of death . . . choices!

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast