BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldar Tactica

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Barrage weapons are indeed some of the best sniper weapons in the game remarkably.

While I'm in the tactica thread - I've been trying to get Wraithblades to work. I just can't seem to get them into combat. Marching on foot they get sprayed with plasma or heldrake and take heavy casualties. If they're in a transport, the earliest they can get into combat is turn three.

What tricks have people been using to make these guys work? I love the models but I can't seem to make them do what I want them to do.
    Wouldn't Sticking Karahandras or Illic Nighspear in with a unit of wraithblades get you in Close? Karahandras would get you in using normal infiltrate rules, with some of his other abilitites of enhancing movement. Illic on the otherhand essentially deepstrikes the entire unit in wherever you like. Illic is still decent in CC, but you could always drop him from the unit after they come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Edwards View Post
    I'm gonna knock the question up a notch and ask what the best way to get Wraithblades into assault with TAU would be.
    1. Luck - probably the most honest answer. Accompanied by a Spiritseer with the right psychic powers they can get in the more static portion of the Tau line through sheer survivability.

2. Multiple Threat Vectors - Like anything, if the Tau have more important things to shoot, the Wraithblades can get across the field. Then again those other things will be getting shot when they could be shooting Tau, so perhaps the Wraithblades could be used as a tough, pricey piece of bullet bait to draw fire from your units that will do a better job of hurting the Tau.

3. Wave Serpent - the most obvious answer, but also the most obvious to the Tau player. Rely on cover, speed, and your Holofield save to get them across the board to a spot where they can disembark in relative safety for a follow-up assault - or to flush the Tau out of a position they want to be in.

4. Karandras/Illic - as noted above. Throw in a VoT Spiritseer for the Furious charge deliciousness! Ed: or Shroud - not sure what Karandras gives his unit. Stealth + Shroud would be pretty fancypants!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Garradh View Post
    1. Luck - probably the most honest answer. Accompanied by a Spiritseer with the right psychic powers they can get in the more static portion of the Tau line through sheer survivability.

2. Multiple Threat Vectors - Like anything, if the Tau have more important things to shoot, the Wraithblades can get across the field. Then again those other things will be getting shot when they could be shooting Tau, so perhaps the Wraithblades could be used as a tough, pricey piece of bullet bait to draw fire from your units that will do a better job of hurting the Tau.

3. Wave Serpent - the most obvious answer, but also the most obvious to the Tau player. Rely on cover, speed, and your Holofield save to get them across the board to a spot where they can disembark in relative safety for a follow-up assault - or to flush the Tau out of a position they want to be in.

4. Karandras/Illic - as noted above. Throw in a VoT Spiritseer for the Furious charge deliciousness! Ed: or Shroud - not sure what Karandras gives his unit. Stealth + Shroud would be pretty fancypants!
    So if I stick Karandras with Wraithblades, they can infiltrate? I'm going to have to check the rulebook on that one.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    So if I stick Karandras with Wraithblades, they can infiltrate? I'm going to have to check the rulebook on that one.
    It's one of those "units with at least one model with this rule..." rules, same with 'Move through Cover, Night Vision, and Stealth that Karandras also has. Using Illic with a wriathblade/guard unit will allow them to use his infiltrate that acts as a deep strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingbantha View Post
    It's one of those "units with at least one model with this rule..." rules, same with 'Move through Cover, Night Vision, and Stealth that Karandras also has. Using Illic with a wriathblade/guard unit will allow them to use his infiltrate that acts as a deep strike.
    Do me a favor and before you decide to do this check out a thread dealing with the subject in the rules subforum, there has been A LOT of debate on the topic.

Veteran-Sergeant

Do me a favor and before you decide to do this check out a thread dealing with the subject in the rules subforum, there has been A LOT of debate on the topic.
    I think I found the thread you were refering to, here is how I see it. In the other thread [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?26001-Karandras-Stealth-meet-6th-Edition[/url] it is agreed that Stealth is an Exarch Power and Exarch Powers only effect the aspect squad. However Karandras' Stealth, Infiltrate, Move through cover, and Night Vision skills are not Exarch powers, they are listed under Special Rules. His Exarch Powers are Monster Hunter and Stalker. As such his skills would effect any squad as they are not his Exarch powers.

I think I found the thread you were refering to, here is how I see it. In the other thread [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?26001-Karandras-Stealth-meet-6th-Edition[/url] it is agreed that Stealth is an Exarch Power and Exarch Powers only effect the aspect squad. However Karandras' Stealth, Infiltrate, Move through cover, and Night Vision skills are not Exarch powers, they are listed under Special Rules. His Exarch Powers are Monster Hunter and Stalker. As such his skills would effect any squad as they are not his Exarch powers.
    I was thinking a thread more like: [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?33003-IC-w-infiltrate-joining-units[/url]

I've read other threads with way more debate Though. Just pointing out that it's not a clear cut issue on weather infiltrate passes to the unit in a useful manner or not and you should talk t o your normal group before planning around it.

Ps: that thread you found was in relation to 4th edition, now karandras just has stealth under normal rules.

Veteran-Sergeant

I was thinking a thread more like: [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?33003-IC-w-infiltrate-joining-units[/url]

I've read other threads with way more debate Though. Just pointing out that it's not a clear cut issue on weather infiltrate passes to the unit in a useful manner or not and you should talk t o your normal group before planning around it.

Ps: that thread you found was in relation to 4th edition, now karandras just has stealth under normal rules.
    The way I see it is like this. You can attach an IC to a unit During deployment. Infiltration deployment is still part of deployment. When you read in the rules section, some rules say that only one model needs the rule, others say that the entire unit needs them. I think people are trying to over think this rule and rule-lawyers it up, it seems to me that some people spend too much time trying to hash out verbage and word content instead of trying to enjoy the game. As far as I am concerned (but then again who am I to shape the course of the game) it's pretty straight foward, yes you can find a loophole in any set of rules and thus debate them endlessly, I prefer to go with the vibe of the thing. So unless we get a FAQ update on this it's going to be in the air for some time longer.

The way I see it is like this. You can attach an IC to a unit During deployment. Infiltration deployment is still part of deployment. When you read in the rules section, some rules say that only one model needs the rule, others say that the entire unit needs them. I think people are trying to over think this rule and rule-lawyers it up, it seems to me that some people spend too much time trying to hash out verbage and word content instead of trying to enjoy the game. As far as I am concerned (but then again who am I to shape the course of the game) it's pretty straight foward, yes you can find a loophole in any set of rules and thus debate them endlessly, I prefer to go with the vibe of the thing. So unless we get a FAQ update on this it's going to be in the air for some time longer.
    I agree. It seems that they intended an IC with infiltrate to be able to infiltrate his unit even if they don't have the rule, after all why would GW make the infiltrate rule transfer? However many people disagree so that's why I was just saying to make sure it would fly with who you normally play with before you start building lists around it.

Veteran-Sergeant

I agree. It seems that they intended an IC with infiltrate to be able to infiltrate his unit even if they don't have the rule, after all why would GW make the infiltrate rule transfer? However many people disagree so that's why I was just saying to make sure it would fly with who you normally play with before you start building lists around it.
    I typically dont build lists, I have about 7000pts in Eldar, and I pick my pieces based off what I estimate my particualr opponet is going to play against me. But I would like to see if any official GW tourney would rules on this.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast