BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldar Tactica

Chapter-Master

FYI I've given up on the Wraithknight. He never makes his points back in a game before he dies horribly. The fact that I hate the stupid model doesn't make this a hard decision.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Librarian

okay so as this will be my first attemtpt with eldar i gues here goes. So i've been secretly building a small eldar a allied detatchment. So far i have a farseer and 20 dire avengers i'm trying to pick them up 2 wave serpants but not sure what else would be a good idea to add in. Their never going to be more then 1k but i'd still like to try and keep them effective. Their most likely going to be fielded along side everything from guard to marines. I figure they excell at a harassing and agile allied detatchment. providing flank threats, as well as a strong ammount of str 6/7 shots for a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by SON OF ROMULOUS View Post
    I figure they excell at a harassing and agile allied detatchment. providing flank threats, as well as a strong ammount of str 6/7 shots for a fair price.
    If you're looking for fast S6/7 shots, go with either War Walkers with cannons or scatter lasers, or a squad of Warp Spiders. Either can get up in your opponent's business quickly, and put out a lot of mid-strength fire.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, you can't actually infiltrate. The IC doesn't grant the unit the infiltrate rule until after they're deployed, and because of the way the rules require you to join a unit, you're forced to either deploy normally, or place the unit in reserves, and both cases prevent you from actually infiltrating. There's a lot of debate because some people don't want to believe it, but that's because they're stupid.

That said, you can outflank via the infiltrate rule. There's also a special case in which you can stick the IC and squad in a dedicated transport, and that lets them join and actually Infiltrate, but I forget if you can infiltrate a dedicated transport. I think you can.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Yeah, you can't actually infiltrate. The IC doesn't grant the unit the infiltrate rule until after they're deployed, and because of the way the rules require you to join a unit, you're forced to either deploy normally, or place the unit in reserves, and both cases prevent you from actually infiltrating. There's a lot of debate because some people don't want to believe it, but that's because they're stupid.

That said, you can outflank via the infiltrate rule. There's also a special case in which you can stick the IC and squad in a dedicated transport, and that lets them join and actually Infiltrate, but I forget if you can infiltrate a dedicated transport. I think you can.
    I understand all the arguments over this, but are you saying that if I stick Karandras in a squad of wraithguard and stick them in a WS infiltrating is perfectly fine but if they aren't in a WS it's not allowed? I really think this stupid rule has a very clear RAI that is getting messed up by a not clear RAW and I (and many others I'm sure) wish GW would get on with the damn FAQ.

That being said I may just try that out, sounds like it would be really nasty with d-scythes and probably a spirit seer as well (thank you 12 model capacity!).

Chaplain

Having just read this thread I checked the rules on both scout and infiltrate and they allow you to confer the rule on a transport if you have a unit with either of those rules in the transport. I rather think the scout rule is the better option because it allows infiltration and then redeployment rather than just infiltration. The rule also notes that if it comes from an independent character who is automatically attached to any unit embarked with the IC, then that is how they deploy. But the IC may leave the unit on the first turn by virtue of dismounting the vehicle and heading off in a direction other than the unit the IC was a part of. Or the IC may remain on the vehicle while the other unit disembarks. Anyway, an IC can start a game in a vehicle attached to another unit and conferring on the vehicle Stealth, Scout or Infiltrate if the IC has any of those special rules or powers.

The question I have is how people can state that units are devastating with a farseer power like guide or doom to support them. The statement in itself is not in question, but given that getting the power is a matter of chance, how wise is it to build a force with that power in mind?

Also, I rather disagree with the summation that Warlocks are relatively cheap. I used to attach them to storm guardian units with either the Destructor or Enhance rules and they did not have to psych test. Now, despite a reasonable range of powers, it is random so rarely to your advantage, and you pay 35 points or 4 more guardians for a dude whose only real advantage is a 4+ save and wound on two. I would rather field them in a counsel and get the benefit of multiple roles. I put a unit together on jet bikes which scares the bejayzus out of armour and presents a reasonably tough alternative target to the wave serpent screaming accross the field. They are armed with singing spears of course. So that is a T4, S9 3+s/4+is moving at up to 24" across the battlefield with maladiction/blessing options galore. Heaps better than the individual with the troops and worth their high cost.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Edwards View Post
    I understand all the arguments over this, but are you saying that if I stick Karandras in a squad of wraithguard and stick them in a WS infiltrating is perfectly fine but if they aren't in a WS it's not allowed? I really think this stupid rule has a very clear RAI that is getting messed up by a not clear RAW and I (and many others I'm sure) wish GW would get on with the damn FAQ.

That being said I may just try that out, sounds like it would be really nasty with d-scythes and probably a spirit seer as well (thank you 12 model capacity!).
    Oh, I think it's stupid, too. But it's worth at least knowing what RAW is.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gargoyle View Post
    So that is a T4, S9 3+s/4+is moving at up to 24" across the battlefield with maladiction/blessing options galore. Heaps better than the individual with the troops and worth their high cost.
    That's not entirely accurate.
    Eldar Jetbikes can move 36"
    (See last sentence of Eldar Jetbikes - Turbo Boost - Rulebook p.45)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gargoyle View Post
    The question I have is how people can state that units are devastating with a farseer power like guide or doom to support them. The statement in itself is not in question, but given that getting the power is a matter of chance, how wise is it to build a force with that power in mind?
    I wouldn't plan a list with doom in mind but guide is a primaris power so you are guaranteed to be able to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pssyche View Post
    That's not entirely accurate.
    Eldar Jetbikes can move 36"
    (See last sentence of Eldar Jetbikes - Turbo Boost - Rulebook p.45)
    Actually they are even more insane than that. They can move 12" in their movement phase and then turbo-boost in the shooting phase up to 36". So they can move up to 48" a turn!

cant they move in assault phase too or is that just jetpacks now?

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast