BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default GW paint separating into black oil?

Ok, this is weird. My GW paint has split apart? Not sure how to describe it other then that there is now a thick black layer of oil over the layer of what looks like the normal paint color. It seemed fine two weeks ago.

So thinking it was a crazy spill or something, I look were I kept it, I didn't even have any blacks or inks in the same box.

I've searched for GW paint problems, and only got the regular old just not good as the old stuff posts.

I'm not sure if I should mix it back in or siphon it off. (or just switch pant companies)

Any help at all would be super useful.

I've seen some signs of separation, maybe not as extreme, but it's always been fine after a good shake.

Its where the pigment and the binder have separated. It's usually caused by an imbalance of the two either too much pigment or too much binder (Often a result of scraping the barrel for the last dregs of paint). It's a fault at manufacture that's difficult to avoid and happens quite often in artist paints from tubes. I imagine that because the new paints are using "stronger" pigments that it could be a cause for an increase of separation. Either way a good solid shake should sort it right out but you will most likely have to repeat the process everytime you go to use the paint.

Occuli Imperator

Yeah first things first give it a good shake see if it re-combines. If not talk to GW
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chaplain

I find the GW paint does that alot. It just needs a good shake and all is good again. It's MORE anoying when it happens to the metallics, because its ten times more work to mix it back up again :<

An agitator helps, especially with metallics- you know when you shake a spraycan and there's that thing clattering inside? Same idea. Any typical craft store should sell beads, and ideally you want ones about the size of a Marine's frag grenade. Just drop one in (and maybe a drop of water on top of said bead to help it sink in) and shake away.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    An agitator helps, especially with metallics- you know when you shake a spraycan and there's that thing clattering inside? Same idea. Any typical craft store should sell beads, and ideally you want ones about the size of a Marine's frag grenade. Just drop one in (and maybe a drop of water on top of said bead to help it sink in) and shake away.
    reaper msp paints have an agitator in every bottle... its a metal skull from their accessory sprue. kinda cool

Chaplain

I've found that my Gehenna's Gold dose that if I leave it for a week or so, for me it seems to happen to metelics the most but all good once I give it a good shake