BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: In your IG army do you use artillery (basilisk/manticore, etc)

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 70.37%
  • No

5 18.52%
  • Apocolypse only

3 11.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basilisks

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post

Griffons are cheap, accurate and blasty.
    I can only second that, my Griffons seem to kill more AND last longer then any of my 'Russes.

Cheers B1

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Camel View Post
    My IG army is artillery themed: The Immerhass 522nd Artillery Regiment. I run three Basilisks and three heavy weapon squads with mortars with my infantry platoons who also have grenade launchers. Thats three ordanance and thirteen blast templates falling on the enemy. Ratling snipers to pick off the survivors and if the enemy gets too close, Ogryns to beat them off. The best game I ever had with them was causing a Necron army to phase out in turn one with all of the shelling. If you use enough of them, not much can survive through it.
    Wow. Thats the exact type of army I've wanted to play if I played Guard, although I had the thought of usin g Griffons for my heavya rtillery and Missile Launchers in line squad for more blast template goodness. I had the thought of using ratlings and Ogryns. How does the army fair vs your opponets?
    http://www.heresy-online.net/daemons/adoptables/10912-dchingus.htm
    Please help my lil buddy by a lil clicky click

The Dark Mechanic

Basilisks are great against less mobile armies that can't reach them easily or quickly. You can pound those foes mercilessly as they move around the board for many turns. Against fast moving armies that can have specialized troops assaulting and neutralizing your Basilsks within two or three turns, they are obviously a lot less useful. Against fast moving armies a battle tank like a Leman Russ is much more useful than hiding a Basilisk in a far corner of your deployment zone. So the answer to the question is, as always, bring the right tool for the job. SPA (self propelled artillery) is great against some foes, not a great choice against others.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Grand Provost Marshal

I do like to field Manticores. The idea that a pair of them can deliver (assuming survival) 8d3 S10 pie plates is just stunning. Sure, they're not the best against MEQ (AP4 only), but they work great against other things, and instakill S5 or less.

Plus, I've got a pair of models that just look perfect.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Faultie View Post

Plus, I've got a pair of models that just look perfect.
    Got any pics?

I'm debating on building one, but I'm not the best scratch builder/converter. So I may just wait until they release the hydra/manticore boxest (I'm just guessing on that one)
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Grand Provost Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azaghul View Post
    Got any pics?

I'm debating on building one, but I'm not the best scratch builder/converter. So I may just wait until they release the hydra/manticore boxest (I'm just guessing on that one)
    See attached. FW Exorcist + Heavybolter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackmaria-rightfront.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	280  
    Last edited by Faultie; 11-16-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Attached images

I have two Basilisks that I never use anymore. I still like the Earthshaker, but I prefer the Medusa and Colossus.
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Chapter-Master

Medusa all the way...

Even after I learned that if you upgrade the weapon on it, you lose the original weapon profile, I still loved the damned thing. Large Blast strength 10 ap 2 is just rape. No other word describes it.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

Basilisks are good. But tanks are better, and I will use the absolute minimum of squadrons, so for me Basilisks probably wont get a look in until apoc.

Spotting rounds - rock!
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12