BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

I like the assault squad as well. Love the new Eli, especially the maximus helmet with the crest. Maybe use one of the more ornate chainswords from the vanguard vets.

Very cool. Love the color scheme.

Brother-Captain

Wow, good stuff, man. Very flavourful marines, great colour schemes.
    Blood Angels Army Project
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12017

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks guys. I think I am going to use a smaller chainsword on Eli. If anyone has an idea on how to gussy up a MK IV one or has fancy chainsword kicking around, send me a PM and we'll work something out.

Anyway, I got a pretty decent update for you.
    So I've been working on a few scouts for this army, just to get that 2nd troop choice. I give you Scout Squad Cable.

I wanted them to look a bit more able and grizzled so I used a bunch of the bare heads from the Sternguard set. I always like to mix skin tones, I find that it's a bit more fun and breaks up the monotony of painting only white people's faces. Like all my squads, there is one Astarte kitted out to be the squad marksman, in this case, it's the chap with the scope on his bolter. Go figure.

Oddly, the Sargent looks like my old boss from Kobo. I gave him a bolter from the Sternguard kit, just to make him look like he's armed better than his charges.
    I intentionally didn't use any white on these guys because I figured it wouldn't help to skulk around. I went with the grey fatigues just because I thought it went well with the red. I tried a test mini with brown boots, but they looked too much like moccasins, which, while hella comfy, not exactly tough looking.

There's also been some progress made on the assault squad.

I figure that I'll weather them all at the same time.
    I found some tiny ceramic bricks out at a hobby store while poking around on a day trip with my girlfriend. You can see them on the assault marine bases. I think I'll do the whole army like this. I can go back and add a brick here or there on the other squads just tie everything together.

It's such tiny work, but man, is it ever meditative.

What do you all think?
    Cera cito.

The crimson sabres inducted the ever lovable BA Baracus.

Love the army so far.
    Great work, keep it up!

First-Captain

great work on the scouts, and those assualt Marines :drool:

What's the name of those bricks? who makes them? they look interesting....

I might try to get hold of them if I can and use them on my Empire army....
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Brother-Sergeant

@Leviticus: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean. Pity the Fool.
    @Darren: They're from Secret Weapon. I like the look of them a lot. They're really easy to use. I employ thinned pva glue like I would with flock or gravel. You can seal them again with the pva, but I don't think you'd need to once you hit it with a spray undercoat. They also break well, if you want to do ruins or some such thing. Here's the meeplemart linke: [url]http://www.meeplemart.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=ceramic%20bricks[/url]

I got the assault squad finished. I'll get pics up tomorrow with some words about weathering.
    Cera cito.

Brother-Sergeant

So, I got an update for you guys.
    I finished the Assault Squad and I am really pleased with how they turned out. I think the finish on the reds could have been a bit smoother, but I'm okay with it.

The jump packs we weathered with black and brown. The two on the left were dry brushed with pigments and then sealed with Testor's dull coat. The two on the right were hit with two pigment washes.

I like the effect of the dry brush more, but I think my pigment wash was too thick. I can see how useful the wash is though. I would use it on tanks and vehicles more than infantry though. There's a great tutorial on youtube by Secret Weapon. check it out if you're interested.

Okay, I know I said they were done, but I need to finish ONE chapter symbol and a yellow stripe on a chain sword. I got antsy to get pictures and forgot to do it last night. I'll fix it soon eventually.

Lastly, here's a close up of the guy with the Kromlech legs. I would really recommend keeping a set of them in your bits box.
    So, thoughts?
    Cera cito.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by primeministersinister View Post

Lastly, here's a close up of the guy with the Kromlech legs. I would really recommend keeping a set of them in your bits box.
    So, thoughts?
    The squad looks fantastic, this guy with the Krmolech legs looks real badass, I really must start building some marines with the set I brought earlier this month....
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast