BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help

Quote Originally Posted by Nikephoros View Post
    Marauder Horsemen are core. Take knights AND horsemen. Unfortunately Chaos Warriors are not a strong core choice.
    Since when are Chaos Warriors not a strong choice? I see the horsemen as an annoyance. Marauders and Horsemen are entirely too fragile for my army. I fight a lot of ranged armies so if I try to advance my marauders they get eaten by bows. The armor I can give them is negated by the armor piercing repeater crossbows I always fight.

I got the Galrauch model yesterday so I am at 2250 now. What should I save for next?

Brother-Sergeant

Again I play O&G and I too thought that goblin wolf riders were a waste of points until I went to a tournament and watched a veteran player use them. The huge advantage of your marauder horsemen is their speed, the fact that they are fast cavalry so they can change form during move and don’t have to wheel, and they are cheap. I use my goblin wolf riders to force unwanted charges and to be even nastier when I do I put them at a 45 degree angle in order to make the charging unit expose their flank. They are so cheap that you don’t care if they get smooshed as long as they can disrupt enemies. They can also slow enemy, since you can’t march if an enemy is too close to a unit and they can threaten flanks, since it only takes 3 horsemen to break ranks. Would never run another O&G list without wolf riders and I suggest you take 1-2 5 man cheap squads.

Just remember their utility... don’t think of every unit looking to own face but supporting your other units... Just having troops that can threaten flanks from a ridiculous distance is a deterrent for your opponent. Also if your opponent shoots them great because who cares if they live or die? gauge you distances and give them choices they don't want to make.

Hope this help a bit.
    Last edited by VinceBlack; 08-06-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Boor View Post
    Since when are Chaos Warriors not a strong choice?
    Since the new army book came out. They are very expensive and very slow. The meat of your army (knights) are significantly faster and leave the warriors in the dust. Warriors are pretty cool, but not tourney competitive.

Walrus Lord

Marauder horsemen are pretty awesome they are great for screening and redirecting things. Really what it sounds like is you have been buying a lot of the big heroes and expensive units, when you might want to focus on building up your core units. I would suggest getting some more warriors and maybe some marauder horsemen.

Battle-Brother

I heavily second the notion of marauder horsemen. They are definitely a beat-stick unit, but it can give you a HUGE tactical edge through fleeing charges, march blocking, or even in protecting your armies flanks from opposing fast cavalry. Or if you want, kit 'em out with shields and light armor and use 'em to flank. I would also suggest Warhounds, as they are one of the single greatest units in the game.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by HammerofVaul View Post

I would also suggest Warhounds, as they are one of the single greatest units in the game.
    Seconded.

Our local WoC player takes 4 min sized squads. Turn 1 they march into every table quarter and he leaves them there. Always a nuissance to have your success turn into victory because he owns / contests every table quarter.

It also means that you have to spend precious magic and shooting to kill a worthless unit.

Quote Originally Posted by iamaddj View Post
    Marauder horsemen are pretty awesome they are great for screening and redirecting things. Really what it sounds like is you have been buying a lot of the big heroes and expensive units, when you might want to focus on building up your core units. I would suggest getting some more warriors and maybe some marauder horsemen.
    I have actually only bought 1 hero model. I traded 10 hounds on the sprue for the others.

My next purchase will probably be another battalion then.

Veteran-Sergeant

Gotta love Fast Cav - Horsemen are so cheap and versatile it is outrageous. Certainly consider a unit or two of them if you are going Knight heavy.

I will have to take a look at them.

Walrus Lord

Another Battalion Box sounds like the best buy for you at this point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast