BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default Home-made characters?

Let's face it, special characters are cool! In the latest generation of Codicies not only do they provide powerhouse units but they can drasticly alterthe way an army fights, or even what units are availible in which FOC slots!

That said, these "special" characters seem to be in almost every game nowerdays (at least at my local GW), with the likes of Pedro Cantorand Commissar Yarrik appearing on several boards at the same time. Wouldn't it be better if each army you saw throught the night could have a different Character leading them? Well obviously, but if you have a significant number of players in your club (especially given the number of Space Marine players out their, of which I count myself a proud member) you will soon run out of characters to go around.

On to the actual point of my message, what about home-made special characters? Can we all be as creative and well balanced(ish) as those wonderful chaps in Nottingham? Probably not, but can we create some characters who add a new element of excitement, challenge and fun to our games? Quite possibly!

I'm not just talking about taking a special charcater out of a codex and renaming him/her/it, or taking a more standard character, paying for their usual wargear and giving them a suitably heroic sounding name, but actually creating a character with a suitable model, spectacular background and a pinch of special rules that might change the way the character archetype behave in the game. Of course, they will still need a suitably heroic name. Do you have any experience with these kind of characters? Do you stick to the characters in the codicies? Do you steer clear of special characters in favour of a more balanced list?

So I hearby challenge you people of the Lounge of BoLS; Name you champion, regale us with their deeds and tell of us how they might play (aka Create a character with full background and rules)!

To get you started I present to you Lord Hector Musermitt, Commissar Lord attatched to the Sallii CXII Armoured Regiment.

Lord Musermitt favoured being attatched to armoured units from the very beginnig of his career, but not for him would be luxury of hiding behind inches of plasteel or admantium. Riding atop his steed Leonitus he chased down fleeing tanks and administering Commissarial justice to those Commanders found wanting in duty. Through nearly 60 years of service Lord Musermitt gained great affinity for armoured vehicles, able to find the weak spots on enemy vehicles, or halt a fleeing tank without causing significant permenant damage. Over the years he has lost several mounts, but always replaces them with a new Leonitus, currently Leonitus XXI; a proud Kreig Warhorse. He also proudly brandishes The Emperor's Avenger, a pistol-like Meltagun gifted to him by the Adeptus Mechanicus on Sallii after holding their main forge complex from a ravaging SpeedFreak horde with nothing more than six Leman Russes and his command.

Commissar Lord Hector Musermitt

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
    5 5 3 3 3 3 3 10 4+

Unit Type;
    Cavalry (Unique)

Wargear;
    • Carapace Armour
    • Emperor's Avenger (Melta Pistol)
    • Power Weapon
    • Frag Grenades and Melta Bombs
    • Refractor Field

Special Rules;
    • Independent Character
    • Stubborn
    • Summary Execution
    • Aura of Discipline
    • The Tankers' Commissar

The Tankers' Commissar
    Lord Musermitt has spent his entire career around armoured fighting vehicles. Not only does he know where to find their weak points but how force his authority upon such behemoths.

Lord Musermitt has the Tank Hunters USR. It may be applied to any other model in a unit Lord Musermitt is attatched to if he does not fire that turn.

In addition, if there are any friendly vehicles within 12" and line of sight he must wait to fire until after they have. The vehicle(s) MUST fire with all the weapons it can (depending on how far it moved and it's type). If all of the weapons miss their target (by scattering, not rolling high enough against their ballistic skill or because of night fighting or equiovolent rules), Lord Musermitt will fire against them using The Emperor's Avenger. He will fire once against ALL vehicles that copletely miss. If he fire's these shots he may not fire against the enemy this turn.

The Emperor's Avenger
    The Emperor's Avenger is a large, fusion based pistol gifted to Lord Musermitt after a particularly heroic forge defense. It uses the profile below;
    Weapon Range Str. AP Type
    Emperor's Avenger 12" 8 1 Pistol, Melta

I will add a picture as soon as I have finished painting Lord Musermitt

Chapter-Master

Sorry about the many and numerous spelling mistakes, I will edit it when I have time

Veteran-Sergeant

Ask permission of your oppnent and show him the rules you've made, otherwise you shouldn't use him. I'll come up with one in a soon to.
    Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.

Veteran-Sergeant

For years Inquisito Lord Jonius Hes has strove to bring a wierdboy of the orks to himself alive to perform an anotomy to see what makes them tick, but has been caught in a Waaaagh!. He has spent years fighting the Orks he has forgot all else but ending this Waaaagh! with the help of the entire Black Pheonixes Chapter, Sisters of the flaming rose and his own private guard army, the Ironsides.

Inquisitor Lord Jonius Hes

-WS-BS-S-T-W--I--A-LD-SV-
    -6---5---4-3-3--4--4--10-3+

Acoylte Pascus

-WS-BS-S-T-W-I--A-LD-SV-
    --4--4---3-3-2--3--2-9--4+

One Sage
    Two Crusaders
    Two Familiars
    All bonuses already included above.

Unit type
    Infantry (unique).

Wargear

Inquisitor Lord Jonius Hes
    The Sword of Erebus
    Master-Crafted Bolt Pistol with Psi-Bolts
    Inquisitorial Mandate
    Power Armour
    Frag & Krak Granades
    Melta Bombs
    Degital Weapon

Acoylte Pascus
    Power Sword
    Bolt Pistol
    Carapace Armour
    Frag & Krak Grenades

Special Rules
    Retinue
    These only refer to Inquistor Lord Jonius Hes and any unit he has joined.
    Iron Will
    Perferred Enemy: Orks
    "By The Emperor!"
    Furious Charge

Retinue: Inquisitor Lord Jonius Hes must be joined by his retinue, which includes Acoylte Pascus. The retinue is already included in the points cost. When the retinue have died leaving only Jonius or Pascus or both, they become independent charecters

"By The Emperor!": Inquisitor Jonius Hes shouts prayes to the Emperor at the top of his voice and along vox nets. Freindly Units within 6" or with a Vox-caster gain +1 Leadership.

The Sword Of Erebus: After slaying the corrupt govenor of his home planet, Erebus, this cermonial sword has been pressed into more and more service by the Inquisitor. It is a Master-Crafted power sword that adds plus 1 strenght (Already included on the profile above.)

Digital Weapon: See The Space Marine Armoury

I created the charecter and story to theme my MASSIVE Imperial armies togehter as well as my favorite enemy's (jamie) also massive ork army (9 Squiggoths amongs other things)
    Last edited by the one; 11-15-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Chaplain

Hmm... would this not be more suited to the Homebrew Rules section?

Nevertheless, here's mine:

On the battlefields of Armageddon there exists a great hero of the Gretchin. A Gretchin that lurks in the background, barking orders to Zzap Gun teams and generally bringing down his target, at the same time training others to do the same thing and keeping the squad from running away. He is Brave Gobbo.

A Zzap Gun battery may be joined by Brave Gobbo instead of a Runtherd for +25 points. He counts as an extra crewman.

WS-BS-S-T-W-I-A-Ld-Sv
    3- 3- 2-2-1-3-1-10-6+

Wargear- Grot blasta, Kommissar's Kap

Kommissars Kap: This cap was looted from a dead Imperial Commissar and gives Brave Gobbo an aura of discipline. Should his Big Gun team fail a Morale Check, he will execute a member of the squad, allowing the squad to pass the test.

Special Rules:

Wait for it, wait for it... NOW!!- Brave Gobbo's Zzap Gun timing is legendary, and Grotz trust his judgement over their own. After rolling the 2D6 to determine the Strength of the Zzap Guns, you may add or subtract an extra D3 from the score. Note that the Zzap Gun cannot decrease below S1, and will overheat as normal if the extra D3 puts the Strength over 10.

Apprentice- Should Brave Gobbo be killed, roll a D6. On a roll of 3+, a Grot will pick up his Kap and Blasta and assume his position. This Grot now has the same rules as brave Gobbo, but as he is an apprentice:

1)He is reduced to Ld7.
    2)He may only add or subtract 1 to the final Strength of a Zzap Gun.
    3) He does not have the Kommissar's Kap rule. (he wouldn't kill his mates)

I've always wanted to do a Grot Character, and this guy fits the bill nicely.
    Cyberscape7 and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    My Beloved Blog: http://www.bryssling.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

exrosism squad

on the most corrupted worlds where the earth trembels and the sky belches out unimaginiable horrors and the populace are corrupted beyond meausure and where the land is swarmed with daemons even the mighty space marines cant hold the flow and when the grey knights are on the other side of the galaxy there is only one hope of redemption, the warriors of the exrosism squad they wear the iconograpy of the exrocists and trim it with white a sign of purity, they will exroscise the daemon where it is to be found and slaughter in the emperors name: as well as there masters in gunmetal
    This squad is ment to be narritve

PTS 1000

6 great Heroes/ 2 squads of 3/ 1 squad of 6
    1 grey knight dreadnought, lascanonn, missile launcher, smoke launchers, aegis
    5justicar with artifacer armour, melta bombs, bionics and digi weapons,psy bolts, 1inceinerator.

ws l bs l s l t l w l i l a l ld l SV l
    5 l 5 l 4 l4 l 2 l 5l 3 l 10l 2+

wargear, storm bolter, terminator armour

special rules
    atsknf, fearless, aegis, rites of exrocism, stalked ( the opponent may take 2 units of bloodletters/plaugebearers/ horrors/daemonnets with sustained attack)

each warior has individual extras

Execution squad! (mission critical +1WS re-roll run distance, fleet )

lord Aulsin
    sythe of the emperor (s8 force weapon I1 heavy CC weapon)
    demon reaper (re-roll to wound)
    iron halo
    I'll drag you down too (when aulsin dies he may use holocaust and make 1 final attack with his sythe)
    holocaust

brother ignutas
    flaming blade (power sword)
    incinerator
    suffer not the demon to live (can fire incinerator in CC)
    cape of fire (in CC a combat shield and -2 cover sv)

brother silas
    slicer (s6 power sword)
    impaler (storm bolter)
    impale (if you get 2 hits you may allocate them to a single enemy and fire the bolter in a single s8 attack)

Extraction squad (full auto if the squad does not move they may fire twice)

captin invictus
    +2bs
    master crafted storm bollter, targeter, psycannon bolts
    power sword
    orbital strike (single use S10 ap1 ord blast)
    firing rites (select 1 model within 3" this model gets to re-roll to hit)

brother-librarian perols
    banner of the daemon-hunter (+1 ld+A in 6")
    force weapon(+1S-2I)
    storm bolter, psycannon bolts
    all Gk psycic powers, psycic hood,
    Psycic power: storm of litinays all opponents within 12" halve there move
    burning faith (all opponents within 24" take difficult terain test when moving, 6" dangerous terain test)
    2 powers a turn

brother valdorius
    +1BS
    master crafted psycannon
    +1S power sword
    uncanny acuraccy: can pick the models his shots are allocated to.
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Veteran-Sergeant

This was fun, can I do two?

Chapter-Master

Go for it

Abbess Sanctorum

I've made a great deal of these over time, but I'm just too lazy to bother translating them into this forum, which lacks tables that make it convenient and easy to read.

[url=http://commissar.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=7242]Here's a link to some work I've done on the Imperial Guard Message Board[/url].

Mind you, the thread does degenerate into off-topic discussions a few times, so here's a list of the names:

Captain Melissa Taylor, Commander of the Umaran Remnants
    Priestess Ailessa, Servant of the Emperor
    Runepriestess Eris (A specific rank of Techpriest, not the Space Wolf kind)
    Tank Commander Elizah
    Rogue Trader Melissia (meant more as a joke really-- I always wanted a squigeon pet)
    Kommissar Groknar Skullsplitta, Servant of "Da Emp'rer" (yes, an Ork Commissar)
    Telena Elukai, The Blank

I think that's a good number, plus the number that other people did, although I do not vouch for the balance and quality of anyone's characters except my own.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Initiate

The inspiration for this character is a bit of a mix between Lone Wolves and Legion of the Damned.

Jeremiah Lonesoul

No one knows which company Lonesoul originally hailed from, what is known is that he is the only survivor and that he has never spoken of the horrors that had befallen upon him and his squad. Lonesoul will join a battle and leave just as quickly, he is a ghost to his own kin, unable to face being the last of his unit. He fights tooth and claw with unmatched fury and leaves none in his wake.

ws-bs-s-t-w--i--a--ld
    6---2--4-4-4-5--2-10

Wargear
    Runic Armor - Stained with the blood of bothe friends and foes
    Belt of Russ
    Wolftooth necklace

Special Rules
    Furios Charge
    Fearless
    Eternal Warrior
    Saga of the Warrior Born
    Mark of the Lone Wolf
    Feral Hunter
    A Brother Apart

Mark of the Lone Wolf: This gives Lonesoul an additional 2d6 attacks, the rending special rule, and the ability to reroll hits to wound. The attack bonus stacks with any bonus added by Saga of the Warrior Born.

Feral Hunter: Jeremiah Lonesoul will always start the game in reserves, and will always enter the game using the infiltrate special rule. Furthermore his shame for being the last alive of his company prevents him from even getting near his wulfen bretheren. As a result he may never join a unit or even move within 6 inches of a friendly model.

A Brother Apart: If Jeremiah Lonesoul survives he gives his opponent +1 kill point, if he dies he gives the space wolf player +1 kill point. Lonesoul may never contest an objective, he will not stick around after battles as the shame of surviving once again causes him to flee.