BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Displacer Field

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleDV8 View Post
    You cant leave the table without permission, that much is true, but it isn't because it is impassable terrain.

Impassable terrain BRB page 90

If it was impassable Drop Pods would never scatter off of the table.

You have to have permission to leave the table.
    Things like Flyers and Deep strikers have this.
    The Displacer field would be treated just the same as the Orks Ramshackle and Don't Press Dat rules.
    Ork FAQ

Notice the table's edge is seperate from impassable terrain.
    good point on the drop pods, if the board edge was impassible they would never scatter off making them more op than they already are

Chapter-Master

I think these examples are just anecdotal. The board edge acts like impassible terrain, and you must have an exception to cross into it, of which the Drop Pod *explicitly* states so.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    I think these examples are just anecdotal. The board edge acts like impassible terrain, and you must have an exception to cross into it, of which the Drop Pod *explicitly* states so.
    they do not at all act like impassable terrain which is why the rules have to specifically state you cannot voluntarily cross them, otherwise they would just add board edge to impassable terrain and be done with it

Chapter-Master

no, you would do exactly what GW has done: write down all the exceptions to impassible terrain applied to the board edge.

Veteran-Sergeant

no, you would do exactly what GW has done: write down all the exceptions to impassible terrain applied to the board edge.
    it does not say that anywhere. you keep talking about the board edge like there is a ton of rules on it, there are only a few mentions of it. you told me to read the section on board edge and then when it did not agree with you you said it is irrelevant. I am quoting pages and instances of other rules while you say i am wrong, that is not how you convince somebody you are correct on rules. I would be happy to agree with you if you provide the exact page numbers and instances which prove your point, but that has yet to occur

Chapter-Master

no, the rules you are quoting are irrelevant. In every single case that you 'call', it is an *explicit* description on how to leave the board.

None of this helps your case. You can *only* leave the board because the rules state you may. The rules of the board edge, for intent and purposes of 'simplification', act like impassible terrain. They are not precise, but work quite well.

It is very similar to Leadership. It is a type of characteristic, with extra rules. Just like the board edge. It is Impassible Terrain, with extra rules.

While I would stop short of calling the board edge Impassable Terrain, I do see that to all intents and purposes it kind of is.
    It is terrain a model cannot cross so ergo impassable. I do agree however that the board edge is a separate concept to impassable terrain.

However as we discussed earlier there is no specific ruling for this case so you can only go off what applies in other similar situations and the clearest similar example is Tank Shock which is directed to halt 1" from the edge.

As the Orks rules support this I am now 100% that the Displacer Field simply stops at the board edge, kudos to SeattleDV8 for showing us that.
    Last edited by Magpie; 07-16-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Chapter-Master

wait, no credit for me posting three different rules that don't knock you off board, all involuntary movement?

wait, no credit for me posting three different rules that don't knock you off board, all involuntary movement?
    No, you made me look in the Codex.

Mawloc doesn't seem to mention the board edge however.
    Last edited by Magpie; 07-16-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Chapter-Master

You still don't knock 'em off the board edge. If they have no where to go, then get eaten, anyhow. However, if you think about it, unless you block them with other models, they will not get pushed off the edge, but scoot around the mawloc until they are 1" away. Another example of how the board edge operates like 'impassible terrain'.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast