BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 2 boxes of crisis suits, 1 box of fire warriors... 750pts... how to kit them out?

I am going to get 2 boxes of crisis suits, 1 box of fire warriors...

I want to build them into a good solid basic 750pts list, but I am not sure to kit them out...

I think I want to go 1 trio of suits as a commander and two body guards... and use them for tank/mc hunting

Thinking of giving them all twin-linked fusion blasters and a plasma rifle as back up or would a flamer be more handy because they will be in amongst the enemy?
    (Also give the commander a puretide engram chip)

I think I want the other trio of suits to be a bit more balanced... thinking twin-linked missle pods...
    Not sure what their back-up weapon would be.

I want to kit the firewarriors out as two squads of 6, each with a shas'ui (maybe combine them into 1 squad if I use them as an allied detachment?)

I plan on building and using all the gun drones in the sets I will get.

Does that sound like a sensible thing to do?
    Am I missing anything key?

My two cents would be to use magnets so you can try a few different combinations. Fortunately the crisis suits and weapons/support systems are very easy to magnetize. Under the new codex, you can put two of the same weapons without twin-linking them. It is more expensive but sometimes better. One option that I find works for me is to kit out the commander as a support suit. So that means a drone controller, 2 marker drones, target lock, multi spectrum analyzer and the command and control node. This means that any unit he joins is considered gets to fire as if they were twin-linked and also ignores cover. If you shoot first with the commander, you can generally get two marker light hits on the unit which will up the BS of the firing suits to BS-5. Stack up those bonuses and all of a sudden the enemy starts to melt away. So I would look to outfit the firing suits with two missile pods (not twin-linked) and maybe 1 fusion blaster and 1 plasma rifle for hunting tanks.

If you get the shas-ui upgrade then also get the markerlight upgrade for him.

I will agree with Iceman and say that magnets are the way to go. Especially since as the editions change the weapons you will want on your crisis suits will change. I managed to get magnets into all of my 7 suits very easily. I will mention that you might want to do a little bit of testing to see what size magnets you want to use. I personally went a little bit larger than some with 1/16 x 1/8 (I think, at work at the moment) sized magnets. Most people I know prefer the smaller sized one. I am horrible at losing things so I decided it was worth the extra work to use them.

As for load out, crisis suits fill the role of troubleshooter in a Tau army. As such you have to think of what holes or gaps in your army you want them to fill. At this low points level and with fire warriors being your other choice they can fill any, so take whatever you want! If you go the magnets route it won't matter in the future. If you are set against using magnets my current favorites are either dual missile (for transport duty) and dual plasma (for anti terminators).

Brother-Sergeant

I would equip one FW squad with Carbines the other with rifles. Stagger them with the carbines in front. Their supportive overwatch rocks. The suits I lean towards rare earth magnets too. I have all the weapon options ready to go but almost always equip a plasma rifle on every suit. Missiles and fusion blasters are secondary. Rarely do I take flamers or burst cannons. However having two non linked burst cannons or flamers would suddenly make them murderer vs infantry.

Why would you ever model Fire Warriors with Carbines >.> the extra 3" of range for double tap is so situational compared to 30" range. Not to mention increased range for Storm of Fire.