BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Fly Lord

Default Fantasy Squedule Q3 13 - Q1 14

Here's the latest word on the grapevine collated by all the standard sources all over the place:

Lizardman images-leaks should be imminent.

August:- Lizardmen
    Nov:- Dark Elves - (some chatter says Brettonians)
    Feb:- Dwarfs
    Last edited by Bigred; 08-12-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chaplain

At least a 6th edition army book is getting an update. Wood Elf and Brench players can at least take some solace that only Beastmen and Skaven can come before one of them. I would be gobsmacked if an army book got three updates before Wood Elves or Bretonnia finally get theirs.
    "Winning is a theme" - John "JJ" Layfield

Chapter-Master

Can't wait to see what they do with DE and Dwarfs, should hopefully be some exciting new kits. @Necron Lord WE won't get an update this edition, they simply don't fit the game meta. If they do, it will be right at the end and will be a 9th ed ready army book.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chaplain

Am eagerly awaiting new Lizzie's! Hoping that we get some new fun new units to play with!

Just find a tiny thing at GW site : The Dark Elves Cold one Chariot is missing for quite a while. I think that may mean a new multi-kit of Cold one Chariot, which could also be assembled as a new stuff, and/or include a Ch., would not be a surprise to be seen. Especially we can see GW tends to make bigger and bigger new kits, which means higher price. I'm not complaining, only noticing such interesting trend.

Re: Wideybeast
    Wood Elves still fit the game, as 8th is quite a balanced game. What they really need is a fluff-wise update like other races, as they should gain more benefits from the terrain (especially woods), but not getting killed by the woods as they are.

Chapter-Master

They don't really fit the game. 8th is balanced, but WE are simply not compatible with it. They are an elite, small, shooty, skirmishing army in a game whose rules have been designed around large blocks of ranked up infantry and combat between said blocks. WE only have access to a single unit which can provide them with a large infantry block and that unit is pants. A number of the units in the army book are completely useless. Whilst they can still be played with in 8th ed, there are a very limited number of builds which work (mostly ones involving as few actual elves as possible) and you are always facing an uphill battle when playing with them. They need a major overhaul, but how to deliver that without losing their unique character is clearly a problem the good folk at GW are struggling with. There are a few obvious quick fixes but those alone are not enough to bring them back on an even keel with the other updated armies.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

One of the advantage of Big Block comes from steadfast, but Forrests take it away. That's why I said the woods should be more friendly and cooperative with the Wood Elves. Also a skirmishing army doesn't tend to have close combat before they are on the upper side. And the wood elves already have the Dryads & Treekin if you really enjoy close combat. If the woods are more with the Wood Elves side, such as providing some kinds of extra protections, that would change a lot.

Many armies are somehow handicapped in different fields, but that doesn't stop them from becoming competitive. Also all elves are elite, small and costly in points, and will have problems facing the cheap and big blocks. That doesn't make all elves doesn't fit the game, they simply need other solutions. Using High Elves as an example, a seems to be useless unit can become useful only by moving from special to core. I'm not even mentioning points adjustment and some tiny changes on special rules like ASF and Martial Prowess. The army machanic can change a lot with tiny changes, which is not as hard as you think. And the trend of fluff-wise simply make all armies balanced in the game, instead of being overpower or underpower like the previous editions.

Would love to see Wood elves get some love.
    Last edited by StarWarsDoug; 08-23-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Librarian

Well depending on what the lizards get and new job etc I may start a new army which I really don't need.

On the WE front I expect glade riders and wild riders to become a combined kit, really cannot see war dancers way watchers being a kit, stag or unicorn for monstrous cavalry. I suspect the tree man character to return, a new dragon kit, and another new unit.