BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm looking for a 40k Podcast

Let me preface this with saying i'm a massive fan of 40k themed podcasts in general. I use them for my commute into work and noise for painting. If you haven't tried it yet, it's a very effective way to enhance your hobby as you absorb new ideas and ways of playing (as well as keeping abreast of the meta, which inspires you to change your lists even if you aren't competitive).

That said I've been really struggling to find a 40k podcast that i actually like. Please give suggestions in the comments below of some awesome 40k podcasts you can recommend! I have had some really bad luck so far, for anyone interested here is rundown of ones i've listened to and their respective summaries:

• 40k Radio - Two great hosts who are entertaining, knowledgeable and good chemistry. Had to unsubscribe because of third host (Romeo) increasingly made it about his personal business and steered conversations away from 40k. I realise he's the boss so that's his call but it's now not a hobby podcast anymore - it's Romeo's soapbox to talk about the companies that have wrong done him in the industry and how upset this makes him (Bell of Lost Souls, Blood of Kittens, Games Workshop, various tournament organizers, various people i've never even heard of).
    • Forge the Narrative - Extremely narrow focus tournament podcast (ironic given the name). Does not look to innovate or enhance the hobby with ways of thinking or interesting ideas, merely a relay of current meta and complain about Games Workshop. I barely think any of the hosts have even heard of who "The Emperor" is. They've all heard of "CronAir" though.
    • 40K UK - :S is the face i pull when i listen to this. I have only managed to listen to 3 podcasts but it suffers from incredibly poor production values such as inaudible voices, poor sound quality and truly cringeworthy sound effects and noises. In terms of enhancing the hobby, it has some innovations and good ideas but seems to also have airs of grandeur. Looks down on "the fluff" and attempts to position itself as the podcast for professionals. I'm sorry we are talking about plastic toy soldiers here, please don't kid yourself.
    • Heroic 28's - Best of a bad bunch. They have some really great ideas here. They are competitive and they also enjoy the hobby holistically. The host is witty, entertaining, knowledgeable and patient. The co-founder, Jason, sigh is anathema. Slow to think yet quick to interrupt, he will often butt into a very interesting train of thought between two speakers to go "UHHH UHHHH UHHH.....UM. UUUUMMMM". Like a car backfiring it is jarring and does not add value. If he were to not exist this would be the perfect podcast.

TLDR: Recommend some awesome 40k podcasts where the hosts don't have personality disorders!

Two of my favorites:

The Independent Characters - Carl and Geoff talk about all aspects of the hobby, generally with more focus on casual play, but they cover everything - painting, new models, expansions, campaign systems, running events, 40K roleplaying, etc. The one thing they don't do is codex reviews, but they do great in-depth reviews of things like Forge World books and rulesets. They do discuss the tournament scene from time to time as well - they provided the live coverage of Adepticon in 2012. Very friendly, great delivery, very positive. Also, you can enjoy Forge World vicariously through Carl's massive purchases.

Preferred Enemies - Four guys in Kansas City talking 40K. Mostly they've been doing new release and codex reviews thanks to the rapid release schedule, but they also do thematic series like "Armies for Newbs" and "Let's Build a List". Definitely more focused on casual play, but they do talk about the small events they run locally and occasionally touch on the larger meta in the game. I'd say this one is my favorite, but seeing as I'm one of the hosts, I may be a bit biased.
    My Armies: Tau (complete), Chaos Space Marines (complete), Black Templars (2012/2013 project)
    My Blog: NockerGeek.net | Our Podcast: Preferred Enemies - http://www.preferredenemies.com

Cheers dude!

Sort of OT, but I enjoyed the content of the Independent Characters, but was off-put by the length. It isn't just them, most of the podcasts I tried were 2+ hours. If someone wants to make a lot of people happy, start a podcast, keep it on-topic, and keep the episodes to about 30 minutes per week, tops. That would be awesome. It shouldn't take me 3-4 1 hour commutes to get through an episode! If anyone knows of any, feel free to recommend them here.

Chapter-Master

Signals from the Frontline. They're not super long, either.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I agree about 40k radio, the two main dudes were great. They made hilarious jokes and were having so much fun, but Romeo (or however you spell it) is a major Buzz kill, and kind of a douche (please don't sue me for defamation...)

My favorites are the Independent characters, Screaming Heretic, Signals from the front line, the Overlords and Deepstrike radio. They're all informative and fun

Chapter-Master

That's not defamation, that's your opinion. Defamation is something like "Romeo abuses kittens", presuming that he doesn't abuse kittens and that your comment was intended in context to assert that he does actually abuse kittens. The First Amendment is a great thing (too bad a lot of you overseas folks have such terrible protection in that area, and too bad for us Obama wouldn't know what the Bill of Rights was if he blew his nose with it).
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Yeah, I was just goofing around, having a bit of a dig after that stunt he tried to pull against Blood of Kittens.

Quote Originally Posted by GravesDisease View Post
    Let me preface this with saying i'm a massive fan of 40k themed podcasts in general. I use them for my commute into work and noise for painting. If you haven't tried it yet, it's a very effective way to enhance your hobby as you absorb new ideas and ways of playing (as well as keeping abreast of the meta, which inspires you to change your lists even if you aren't competitive).

That said I've been really struggling to find a 40k podcast that i actually like. Please give suggestions in the comments below of some awesome 40k podcasts you can recommend! I have had some really bad luck so far, for anyone interested here is rundown of ones i've listened to and their respective summaries:

• Forge the Narrative - Extremely narrow focus tournament podcast (ironic given the name). Does not look to innovate or enhance the hobby with ways of thinking or interesting ideas, merely a relay of current meta and complain about Games Workshop. I barely think any of the hosts have even heard of who "The Emperor" is. They've all heard of "CronAir" though.

Hey hey.. You made a comment on one of the FTN Podcast posts a week or so ago and it seemed like you were an active listener. We actually agreed with your comment that we sounded a little too complain-y in that one episode and assumed that you knew we were not normally like that and that you were a concerned listener who was trying to 'keep us on track.'

This post kinda sounds like you don't listen to the show regularly. While we are all accomplished tournament players we take some serious deep dives into many many non tournament related subjects. Several of our main episodes have been dedicated to novels, anime, girls in gaming and other topics. We release 'bonus' episodes that normally have nothing to do with GW at all and are interviews with writers/designers of other games and we were blessed to have a video game voice actor/director join us early on for one of those bonuses.

Do I know what CronAir is? Of course but if you listen to me you will know I can't stand that type of list so it's a super unrealistic comment. I kinda don't get where you're coming from but we are putting our stuff out there and it is your right to pick and choose what you listen to - it just seems like you haven't listened to more than a couple of episodes. Maybe check out our itunes page and scroll through some of the topics - The audio quality of our episodes get WAYYYY better around episode 7 or 8.

Eh. I actually wouldn't normally respond to things like this but I can tell for sure that you haven't actually listened to more than an episode or two and it seems somewhat unfair - or at least confusing - as to why you would generalize us like you have. But to be perfectly clear - we do talk about tournaments on some of our episodes and some of our most highly complimented episodes are about how we build our lists and prepare for tournaments because we do take honest looks at the meta and attempt to relay to people how we 'win.' But that is far from what we are all about.

To: magickbk - Check us out, man. Our episodes are about an hour long each for the EXACT reason you describe. Nothing wrong with those other podcasts at all, but I prefer a more compact episode sometimes. Listen to those guys AT work.. Listen to us on the way to and from work! Ha!

Anyway.. happy listening, guys.

I've listened upto to episode 17 from the beginning, even the specials! There were some good episodes and there some fun times had. However, the grace period is over which is why i asked about alternatives out there.

The show isn't a good fit for me because i thought the content seemed rather one dimensional. A long list tournaments you've gone to, cheese you've seen and tournaments you're looking forward to going to. I didn't pick up on insight or new ideas from listening to it. We listen to podcasts not because we want to hear the hosts speak (that comes later after you've built a rapport with the audience) but because we want to be informed and entertained. I suppose the 20minute Battletech primers at the top of every show counts as variety, it's just a bit of a shame that it means nothing to me outside of the computer games.

I didn't particularly want to besmirch your podcast on your own forum, I asked the community for alternatives. What was suggested: Signals from the Frontline and the ICs are great though so this endeavour has served its purpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast