BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Eldar vs Grey Knights 500pts txt Bat. Rep.

Hey Everyone! So not only first BoLS forum post but first bat rep ever! Oh man the pressure might kill be . Anyways as this is my first one ever please let me know how I can improve or any other advice. I wasn't really planning on writing this as it's kind of a spur of the moment thing so I didn't really take notes but I remember most of what happened. Also I apologize for not having pictures, if this goes well and I decide to do more of these I'll make sure to take some next time. So without further ado:

This was a 500 pt game and also the very first game in a new escalation league we just started at the FLGS here. It was my Eldar vs a store owner's (there are 3 owners) Grey Knights.

Eldar:
    1 Farseer w/singing spear
    8 Dire Avengers in WS and no Exarch
    5 Rangers
    5 Warp Spiders
    1 Wave Serpent w/TL Scatter Laser and Holos.

Grey Knights (this is kind of ball park as I don't have his list in front of me):
    Grand Master Mordrak (SP?)
    5 Termies w/power weapons (1 halbred), one Sergent (what ever he's called) and one psylencer gun
    1 5 man tac squad (grey knight equivalent) with storm bolters and one psy cannon.
    Both the grand master and the Sergent had hammerhand

We played on a 48"x72" table and rolled a 2d6 to see how many pieces of terrain to place and only rolled 3 (a forest and 2 ruined buildings) so not off to a good start for the Eldar. Scenario was big guns never tire, deployment was hammer and anvil and it was night fighting with Eldar going first. My warlord trait allowed me too deep strike within 6" of my warlord without scattering and his allowed his warlord to outflank (so totally useless for both of us). I rolled Guide, Forewarning, and Foreboding for my psychic powers.

I had 3 of the objectives near my deployment zone so I mostly just deployed at the edge of my zone near them. I deployed my Farseer with my Dire Avengers in the WS with my Warp Spiders a little bit to the left. My opponent held his Terminators in reserve with Mordrak to deep strike on his turn 1 so only deployed his small tac squad fairly close to his table edge. I infiltrated my rangers in a building that I set on top of the table's hill that also held an objective nearby. He did not seize the objective.

Eldar Turn 1:
    Since he was deployed so far away I basically just moved up my units as all his models were more than 36" away so due to night fighting I couldn't even shoot them with my serpent shield. Warped my spiders into the nearby forest which ended up being carnivorous and then moved my WS 12" closer to the board center and the objectives. I also cast Forewarning on my WS because why not. My spiders didn't take any wounds from the forest and I flat-outed my WS a couple inches in order to park the rear of it against a wall and for the extra jink. We then prepared for the coming deep strike storm.

Grey Knights Turn 1:
    He deep struck Mordrak and his unit near my WS on his board edge side and moved up his tac squad closer to one of the objectives. He then shot at my spiders with his Termies but amazingly 2 survived. However they weren't prepared for how terrifying Mordrak is and ended up breaking (rolled an 11 ) and ran back 5". He then ran his Tac squad up a couple more inches. At this point my spiders were too far away for him to assault so his turn ends.

Eldar Turn 2:
    First I cast all 3 of my psychic powers on my DAs (Forewarning, Foreboding, Guide) and then disembark them in order to show Mordrak the power of blade storm. I then move my WS 12" so it can get a clear shot at the tac squad, thinking that my DAs will be able to take care of most of the termies. My rangers can't see Mordrak but I don't want to move them so they stay put. Finally my warp spiders fail to rally again (rolled 12 this time)! The cowards run 5" again. All my guided DAs and the Farseer fire at Mordrak (17 shots in all) and just about everything hits. However I fail to roll any 6s at all and less than half wound. He manages to make all his 2+ saves and I then run away from him 3" into the trees. My rangers fire at the tac squad but only one manages to wound and the marine makes his save. My WS then decides to destroy the small squad and fires everything at it. 5 Wounds from the laser and catapult combined (no 6s on the catapult of course) and then as the icing on the cake it fires its shield, I roll a d6 to see how many shots it gets and roll....a 1. So 2 shots that both wound. He ends up saving 2 of his marines and of course passes his morale check. The spiders are unfortunately too far away to try and shoot the termies.

Grey Knights Turn 2:
    He moves Mordrak and his unit closer to my DAs (not into the forest) and moves his 2 remaining marines toward my WS. He then fires his termies at my DA squad and ends up killing 5 of them. His tacs fire the psy cannon and throw a krak at my WS but fail to do anything. He then charges by DA squad and thanks to Foreboding (full BS overwatch) we manage to kill 3 of them (still didn't roll any 6s to wound though) but he still makes the charge easily. Thanks to his psy grenades my Farseer now goes at I1. I make the LD roll so my DAs have counter charge and cause a couple wounds but he saves them (damn you terminator armor!). He has Mordrak, one with a hammer and one with a nemesis sword so the sword guy goes next but fails to cause a wound. Next my farseer and his remaining guys go. The farseer causes a wound which is of course saved and I only fail 1 save thanks to Forewarning (4++). Unfortunately my farseer still passes the leadership roll so combat continues. Finally he assaults my WS with his 2 Tacs but fails to hit with his krak grenades (rolled 1s and my WS moved so had WS 1).

Eldar Turn 3:
    Seeing their farseer in trouble my spiders finally decide to man up and rally, however since they can't assault this turn they are fairly useless. My rangers stay where they are and my WS backs up a little to get out of combat. The farseer manages to cast guide on the rangers and Forewarning on his unit. My rangers then shoot at the tacs but cause no wounds. My WS shoots at the 2 bothersome tacs, rolling a 1 yet again on the shield shots, but managed to destroy them anyways. The combat continues with my farseer and DAs causing a couple wounds but they end up being saved. His unit then ends up a bunch of wounds and I fail 2 4++ saves leaving just my farseer. Sadly the farseer passes his morale check so combat continues.

Grey Knights Turn 3:
    Since his only unit is in combat we go straight to that. The farseer causes a wound which is saved and then his nemesis sword wielding terminator causes a wound which he then imbues with psychic power and I fail the 4++ save so my farseer is destroyed. He then consolidates a full 6" towards the objective in the nearby building that also houses the rangers. He also scores 2 vp for first blood and killing my warlord.

Eldar Turn 4:
    I warp jump my spiders 14" away but still close enough to shoot the termies. 2 of my rangers can't see the knights from their perch and so move to get a better shot. My WS moves closer to get a good shot at the knights. Everything shoots at the terminators and I roll a 3 for the serpent shield shots, but he ends up saving all the wounds as I continue to not roll 6s for anything that matters. I then run and jet pack my spiders but they don't get very far away.

Grey Knights Turn 4:
    He basically just moves his guys a little more into the building. He then decides to shoot at my spiders but my some miracle only kills one, the remaining one then actually makes his leadership roll.

Eldar Turn 5:
    Roll for night fighting and it is. First I decide to move my remaining spider closer. Before I roll I joke that this is going to be the time I roll doubles and of course I roll double 1s....sigh. The poor spider is lost in the warp to be forever tormented, serves him right for running for 2 turns. I then move my rangers down from their building toward another objective nearby since they can't see the terminators anyways. I finally move the WS around to get a shot at the terminators. The WS being the only unit that can hit them this turn I fire it and by some miracle roll a 6 for the shield shots and I actually manage to kill one of his terminators leaving him with mordrak and the nemesis sword one. He however passes his morale check.

Grey Knights Turn 5:
    Since he can't hurt my WS and the rangers aren't in LOS he moves his guys to the objective. We then roll to see if the game ends and of course it does so game ends with a Grey Knights victory of 5-3.

All in all it was a fun game but my dice rolls were just awful. The entire game I didn't roll a single 6 to wound on a rending, blade storm, or monofiliment weapon. I probably should have kept my WS back in the beginning to help deal with Mordrak's unit but I really thought that the DAs and spiders could handle it, and had they gotten an AP2/1 wounds they probably could have. Overall I think my strategy was ok but I probably won't rely on blade storm as much if I don't roll doom as a psychic power. I honestly don't think I had any MVPs even though all these units have served me very well in other games, they just all failed me when I needed them most.

Well let me know how I did and if I rambled too much or didn't give enough detail! As I said I'll probably take pictures next time I decide to do a bat rep and maybe I'll even try out a video one later. Thanks for reading!

Chapter-Master

Just a heads up, Mordrak doesn't have the Independent Character special rule, so he can't join a unit. He can be taken with his Ghost Knights, but they don't have a sergeant upgrade and can't take any heavy weapons.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Edwards View Post
    Eldar Turn 3:
    Seeing their farseer in trouble my spiders finally decide to man up and rally, however since they can't assault this turn they are fairly useless. My rangers stay where they are and my WS backs up a little to get out of combat. The farseer manages to cast guide on the rangers and Forewarning on his unit. My rangers then shoot at the tacs but cause no wounds. My WS shoots at the 2 bothersome tacs, rolling a 1 yet again on the shield shots, but managed to destroy them anyways. The combat continues with my farseer and DAs causing a couple wounds but they end up being saved. His unit then ends up a bunch of wounds and I fail 2 4++ saves leaving just my farseer. Sadly the farseer passes his morale check so combat continues.

Grey Knights Turn 3:
    Since his only unit is in combat we go straight to that. The farseer causes a wound which is saved and then his nemesis sword wielding terminator causes a wound which he then imbues with psychic power and I fail the 4++ save so my farseer is destroyed. He then consolidates a full 6" towards the objective in the nearby building that also houses the rangers. He also scores 2 vp for first blood and killing my warlord.
    If you killed his tactical squad before the combat you should have gotten first blood and it would have been 4-4.

+1 , yep FB was yours
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Quote Originally Posted by Asuryan View Post
    If you killed his tactical squad before the combat you should have gotten first blood and it would have been 4-4.
    Oh man I don't know how I missed that, just got caught up in the game!

I'll also have to let him know about Mordrak as that will change things quite a bit...he's still fairly new so it's understandable. Thanks for the comments!

I'm sure I'm the only one that cares about this but we decided to make it a retroactive draw so luckily the Eldar did not lose the first match of the escalation league

Other craftworlds do care... Show the pitiful humans what it means to be Eldar...check my latest batrep against the BA...they had to learn it the hard way...or did they...(just to keep the ending as a mystery, in case you are going to watch it... )...yeah, at work, last hour going on and my brain ain´t what it used to be in the morning...
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"