BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default 1850 "Shunt" Grey Knights - For Fun

This is most definitely a "for fun" army I want to try out when I have the time and money. The only thing I'm very iffy on are the Troops and HQ choices; Coteaz is sweet, obviously, but I really don't want to spam Acolytes in Razorbacks. The only reason they are there is because I was struggling to fit in two-three decent Troops choices and a HQ without compromising the rest of the list. Originally, it was going to have only two Interceptor units and two Dreadknights. I was planning on using two units of ten Strikes kitted out as you would expect, but the HQ choice always left me kind of stumped. Should I put them in transports? Then where does the HQ go? The best HQ for this sort of army I feel would be the Grand Master, though I have no idea where I would put him if I took those Troops. That eventually led to me going "argh", taking some cheap Acolyte units in Razorbacks, as well as Coteaz, and then having the points to fit in a third Interceptor unit. I had twenty spare points, which is why the Justicars for the Interceptors have halberds - one master-crafted. I want this to be a fun army that is very much in your face, and I'm not really too fussed about how competitive it is. I just don't want to be labelled with cries of spam for the Razorback/Acolytes, so I am really interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter. Also, if I end up with 260-300 points spare, should I go for a third Dreadknight or a third Interceptor squad - obviously in the list below I went for the latter, but I am interested in hearing what others think.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

HQ
    Inquisitor Coteaz - 100

Troops
    Acolytes (3) w/ razorback, psybolt ammunition - 62

Fast Attack
    Interceptors (10) w/ two psycannons, psybolt ammunition, master-crafted halberd - 310
    Interceptors (10) w/ two psycannons, psybolt ammunition, halberd - 305
    Interceptors (10) w/ two psycannons, psybolt ammunition, halberd - 305

Heavy Support
    Nemesis Dreadknight w/ personal teleporter, greatsword, heavy incinerator - 260
    Nemesis Dreadknight w/ personal teleporter, greatsword, heavy incinerator - 260
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Why greatswords instead of fists?

Chapter-Master

For what they cost, I think they are well worth it. Remember, the Greatswords stack with the fists; armed with a Greatsword, per the FAQ, a Dreadknight has four attacks base at Strength ten with re-rolls on to hit, to wound and armour penetration rolls in close combat.

I came up with an alternative list after some deliberating that still incorporates a heavy shunt theme, but is more balanced. I like this as I have two units easily capable of taking out any Vindicators or units with Markerlights that would actually worry my Paladinstar greatly - Riptides and Ionheads aren't so scary without Markerlights - and if I play smartly with reserving units, I should be able to deal with most threats pretty well. I'm not too concerned about fliers, as I will usually have at least five scoring units in any match-up and the army isn't too worried at all about Heldrakes. Plus, Coteaz with Prescience in the Paladinstar makes for a lot of carnage against near anything. I think I list this list a lot more and it solves my issue with HQ and Troops completely. Generally speaking, I can reserve whichever unit is most likely to be a big target - i.e. if I go second against lots of Strength 8 AP2 blasts, I can reserve the Paladins if need be - and generally I will keep the Acolytes in reserve to move on to my home objectives after the rest of the force has moved up.

HQ
    Lord Kaldor Draigo - 275 (Warlord)
    Inquisitor Coteaz - 100

Troops
    Paladins (10) w/ two hammers, four halberds, four swords, four psycannons - 630
    Strike Squad (10) w/ two psycannons, psybolt - 240
    Henchmen (5) w/ five acolytes - 20
    Henchmen (5) w/ five acolytes - 20

Fast Attack
    Interceptors (10) w/ halberd on justicar, two psycannons, psybolt - 305

Heavy Support
    Nemesis Dreadknight w/ personal teleporter, heavy incinerator, nemesis greatsword - 260

Better? Much cheaper money wise too...
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 07-22-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/