BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Primarch project.

Hi everyone, this is some project I started more than a year ago and got lost in the interwebs. I recovered it and decided to post it here. Is a project to develop playable Primarchs.

I'll start with the stats

WS 7
    BS 7
    S 5
    T 5
    W 4
    I 6
    A 4
    L 10
    SAVE 2+/4+

There are the stats I thought a Standard Primarch would have. They are badass, yes, but i wanted to maintain them in the "killable" area. I based the stats in people like Abbaddon and the Phoenix Lords.

Now the cool part, the habilities:

Independent Character, Eternal Warrior, Fearless, Rites of Battle, Inspiring Presence (Units in LOS are Fearless, the rest are Stubborn), Primarch Armour (2+ armour save, 4+ Invulnerable Save)

This is the profile for an standard Primarch, and helps to work out every one of them from a basis.

Now the special features for each one:

Tactical Master: +1 on "who goes first" rolls, seizing the initiative rolls and reserve rolls. This one is for Lion 'el Johnson.

Primarch Wings: Jump infantry, reroll all failed dangerous terrain rolls. Sanguinius one.

Military Master (This name has to change): All units are relentless. This one goes for Rogal Dorn.

[Insert cool name here]: Mortarion has Feel no Pain rule. (the traitor version also has the Mark of Nurgle)

[Insert another cool name here]: Bike squads are troops, all are scouts. Jagathai Khan.

Warmaster: All the army can decide if they pass or not any leadership check (Traitor version has Abbaddon's Mark). Guess who?

Berserker Fury: Furious Charge, For each hit on the first roll in CC, add one extra attack die. Angron's (Chaos version has Khorne Mark)

This is all i have for now, still have to set points for the special features, make new ones for the rest of primarchs and define the wargear...

Hope you like this!!!

It's your word now!!!

Librarian

I'd maintain a 'no Primarchs' policy, as really you cannot represent everything they would need without it becoming a Warlord Titan... Imperator even.

Regardless, those rules certainly aren't enough. Primarchs ARE Game Breaking. The USRs don't convey that at all, and neither does all wargear at all. Take Magnus - you need to give him EVERY SINGLE POWER IN THE GAME, and allow him to continue testing until he fails a test. Magnus also beats the sh*t out of any other primarch in unarmed combat. Yes - that's true. Scary.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Herald of Nurgle View Post
    Magnus also beats the sh*t out of any other primarch in unarmed combat. Yes - that's true. Scary.
    Or at least, until Leman Russ broke Mangus' back over his knee, right .

I like the statline you've got (though some of the primarchs should probably get a stat boost here or there. I'd imagine Angron would have an even higher WS, for example).

The thing that made the Primarchs so powerful was their skills and tactical abilities, not sheer physical power. They were certainly significantly tougher and more powerful than a normal SM, but they also weren't as big or strong as, say, a Carnifex. It was their remarkable skills that made them so deadly.

Plus, each would probably have some really, really cool equipment. Relic blades and similar for everyone!
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Herald of Nurgle View Post
    I'd maintain a 'no Primarchs' policy, as really you cannot represent everything they would need without it becoming a Warlord Titan... Imperator even.

Regardless, those rules certainly aren't enough. Primarchs ARE Game Breaking. The USRs don't convey that at all, and neither does all wargear at all. Take Magnus - you need to give him EVERY SINGLE POWER IN THE GAME, and allow him to continue testing until he fails a test. Magnus also beats the sh*t out of any other primarch in unarmed combat. Yes - that's true. Scary.
    Agreed.
    "STUPIDITY, If your going to do it, go for GOLD!"

Chaplain

Hmm, it didn't stop GW trying the C'tan did it?

Considering that GW dumbed down the Marines a lot from their fluff, I believe it is doable. Here is my vision:

Primarch: Cost- 800
    WS-BS-S-T-W-I-A-Ld-Sv-Inv
    7- 7 6 6 5 6 5 10 2+ 3+

Rules: Monstrous Creature, Above all others (however he may still lead a squad), God of War, Eternal Warrior, Living Relic, Unslayable (if killed gets back up on a 4+ with 2 Wounds, if a 6 is rolled recovers all wounds), No Limits (only suffers a -1 Initiative bonus for using a Power Fist of Thunder Hammer.)

On top of that each one should have its own rules. Here's two examples, Dorn and Peturabo

Dorn:
    Wargear- The Fist of Dorn, Dorn's Arrow.

Rules:
    Lord of the Bastion: Dorn has the Bolster Defences rule, which may be used on every piece of terrain in and within 12" of his Deployment Zone. In addition, he may sacrifice a Fast Attack choice for an extra Heavy Support Choice.

Now for Peturabo (pre-heresy)
    Wargear: Master-crafted Thunder Hammer, master-crafted Combi-Melta. In addition, he may have an unlimited number of shots with the meltagun and not the usual 1.

Rules:
    Siege Master: All Devastator squads in an army containing Peturabo may take 4 heavy weapons of any type for free. In addition, all Heavy Support Vehicles cost 30 points less than normal.

Obviously still needs work and may only be used in Apoc (or indeed a narrative)
    Last edited by Master Bryss; 11-20-2009 at 11:24 AM.
    Cyberscape7 and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    My Beloved Blog: http://www.bryssling.blogspot.com/

Librarian

Like that one so far. I think Primarchs like Dorn, Guilliman, and Lion'el are the most reasonable to field. They don't go around killing armies by themselves, they just bolster your army. That means the other player(s) aren't as pressured to try and kill them, and is forced to lose a bunch of models.
    "STUPIDITY, If your going to do it, go for GOLD!"

Uhm...

I'll give this a shot.

Statline: nonexistant. They hit on a 2+ in cc, hit on a 2+ shooting, are always hit in cc on no better than a 5+, can't be wounded more than once a turn, any weapons threatening to wound him does so only on a roll of a 6, he can choose to pass or fail ld and so can any units within 120", he has 10 attacks in cc, and always wounds on a 2+, unless a monstrous creature, in which case he wounds on a 3.

All special rules go from that. he also has a 2+ invul save and fnp that cannot be negated in any way. Including against S weapons.

Base cost: 800 points.

Seriously guys, Chapter Masters can best Carnifexes in single combat, and CM are NOTHING compared to the Primarchs.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Chaplain

Me again. After a bit of a brainstorm here's my attempt at Ferrus Manus and Guilliman. As with all my Primarch rules, they have the stats I posted earlier. In addition, all Primarchs have both frag and krak grenades. I forgot about them last time.

Ferrus Manus:
    Wargear: Master-crafted Thunder Hammer, Storm Bolter
    Rules:
    Iron Hands: Ferrus Manus does not suffer any Initiative bonus for having a Thunder Hammer.
    Revere the Machine: Any squad of power-armoured Marines in an army containing Ferrus Manus may take Bionics (6+ Inv save) for +1 point a model. In addition, Dreadnoughts may be taken as an Elite, Fast Attack or Heavy Support choice, but it MUST take a Drop Pod if made into a Fast Attack choice.

Roboute Guilliman:
    Wargear: A pair of master-crafted Power Fists with a built-in Storm Bolter.
    Rules:
    Supreme Tactical Genius: Guilliman may bestow the Scouts special rule on any 2 units in his army.
    Orders: Guilliman can give Orders as described in Codex: Imperial Guard. He has a command radius of 24". Note that any order he gives will always work because of the God of War rule.
    His orders are as follows:
    Bolter Drill: All bolters, bolt pistols, heavy bolters and storm bolters in the ordered squad count as twin-linked for that turn.
    Bring It Down!: As in Codex: Imperial Guard.
    Move Move Move!: As in Codex: Imperial Guard.
    Fire On My Target: As in Codex: Imperial Guard.
    Split Up and Attack!: The squad immediately breaks down into 2 Combat squads. Each must be broken down into roughly half each.
    Last edited by Master Bryss; 11-19-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added New Order

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Master Bryss View Post

Dorn:
    Wargear- Master-crafted Thunder Hammer, master-crafted Storm Bolter
    Lysander has Dorn's Hammer and Kantor his Storm Bolter. No need to new rules for this.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Pi666 View Post
    Lysander has Dorn's Hammer and Kantor his Storm Bolter. No need to new rules for this.
    Ah, yes, forgot about them. Changed now though. Here's Angron (pre-heresy)

Angron:
    Wargear: A pair of master-crafted Relic Blades (he's a Primarch so can wield two.) These promote him to S8.

Rules:
    Furious Charge
    Fury: Angron has +1 Attack to his base profile. In addition, any model in his army with a bolter may swap it for a chainsword for free and any unit within 24" of Angron gains the Furious Charge rule. A World Eaters Dreadnought or Venerable Dreadnought may exchange its multi-melta for an extra Dreadnought CC weapon for free. This may be upgraded with a heavy flamer for the points cost in the Codex.
    Intimidating- When resolving an assault, Angron always counts as having inflicted 3 more Wounds than he actually has.

As with all my Primarchs, Angron probably needs some work (that or I'm not a very confident rules-smith).
    Also, I apologise to Pi666 if I am 'stealing' his thread.
    Last edited by Master Bryss; 11-20-2009 at 07:59 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast