BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Flying MC, in zoom mode, and area terrain and going to ground to get a 4+ cover save?

This came up on another website. I tend to think that you can not do it, but the rules as written do not support my view.

Apparently it was ruled at a 40K tournament that a winged hive tyrant could go to ground to get a better cover save whilst sitting on top of area terrain while in zoom mode.

I thought a zooming FMC was sitting above the terrain, so could not get a cover save from the area terrain. I thought it only had 3 types of save options - dive (jink - cover save 5+)/ intervening terrain based on a large building partly blocking Line of Sight to the FMC could provide a 4+ cover save (from a large ruined building), armour normally 2+ or 3+ on these big nasty units, or invul save, normally 4+ or 5+. After that you could still be able to take a FNP roll if the weapon was not ID.

You would have to take a grounding test, which if failed meant you could not take any armour or cover saves. again invul saves and if your toughness was 5 or more, a FNP roll (if you had the special rule).

Also based on the fluff in the description for diving, not the diving rules them selves, it mentions dodging to avoid the incoming fire. Would a successful diving test mean that you avoided getting hit in the first place, and thus not have to take a grounding test, or does it mean that you only avoided the unsaved Wound?

So many things GW need to address in their next round of Errata/FAQs.

I tried to address this in a rules as intended via the fluff and how the they should be interpreted, as the rules are hazy, and can be interpreted in a few ways based on what is said, or not specifically said. I said as a reply that if the person wanted to take an area terrain cover save and then decided to "go to ground". then it would be like voluntarily electing to fail the grounding test made after being hit by one or more weapons from a unit. This means you automatically get a Str 9 hit with no armour or cover saves allowed. I also said you had this option, or you count the going to ground as taking your dive / jink roll, which is only a 5+. I have not heard the replies to this yet, but I am sure that they will be heavily accented with the psuedo abuse hashes and asterix, etc (i.e. B@&& S*#t).

Nothing stops a FMC from getting a cover save from area terrain according to RAW, also nothing specifically mentions where the FMC is in relation to the terrain the models is placed on while zooming. You can not force the FMC to take a dangerous terrain test for zooming in cover, as they have move the through cover special rule. The FMC gets the bonus of being hard to hit Snap shots only, unless you have the skyfire rule.

I think this one will likely be as annoying long and undecidable as the debates we saw in the Black mace and hexrifle threads.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

1 isn't a hive tyrant fearless? because if so it can't go to ground.

2 RAW i would have to say that yes a FMC can go to ground, as stupid as that sounds.

3 I don't really see the connection between GTG and the grounding test

4 Because GTG means that you can't move or run in you next turn the FMC has to switch to Gliding and then not move making it able to be hit normally which means that what shot made you GTG in the first place most likely will be able to fire at you again hitting at normal BS instead of snap shots, so i don't really see the point.

A zooming flying monstrous creature cannot go to ground as it is required to move a minimum of 12" in the movement phase and going to ground will violate this as you have to remain "gone to ground" until the end of your next turn. Being ruled that you can is a fairly poor reflection on the rule abilities of the TO.

Diving tests can only be taken after the To Hit rolls are made. I see what you're saying but the game mechanic is that incoming fire causes the FMC to dive to avoid it, possibly avoiding the wound with the jink cover save but the danger of crashing to the ground due to the violent manoeuvre still remains so you take the grounding test.

Does a ZFMC take difficult terrain tests ? No. Ergo you aren't in the terrain you are over it.
    Last edited by Magpie; 07-17-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    A zooming flying monstrous creature cannot go to ground as it is required to move a minimum of 12" in the movement phase and going to ground will violate this as you have to remain "gone to ground" until the end of your next turn. Being ruled that you can is a fairly poor reflection on the rule abilities of the TO.

Diving tests can only be taken after the To Hit rolls are made. I see what you're saying but the game mechanic is that incoming fire causes the FMC to dive to avoid it, possibly avoiding the wound with the jink cover save but the danger of crashing to the ground due to the violent manoeuvre still remains so you take the grounding test.

Does a ZFMC take difficult terrain tests ? No. Ergo you aren't in the terrain you are over it.
    Do you even read the rules mate? Ever?

Firstly swooping it determined at the start of the fliers turn. If it has grg then it cannot swoop NEXT turn.

Nothing in swooping prevents GTG but gtg means you are stopped immediately.

And furthermore a HT cannot go to ground anyway.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

You are correct swooping IS determined at the start of the flyer's turn BUT and here's the tricky bit, if it is currently swooping (in the enemy shooting phase) then it must have already decided it is swooping in it's previous movement phase.

As per Page 49 it can't change mode between swooping or gliding until the start of it's next turn so you can't change mode by going to ground in your opponents shooting phase.
    The only possible way it can change mode is by failing a grounding test.

Chapter-Master

You dont even understand the question you nut
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    You dont even understand the question you nut
    If you could possibly move on from name calling there might be some productive exchange of points of view here.
    If you can't then PM them to me and don't clutter up the thread with it all.

"a winged hive tyrant could go to ground to get a better cover save whilst sitting on top of area terrain while in zoom mode."
    I read that as "can an FMC go to ground to get the cover save of the terrain he is over and improve it as well".
    The OP seems to be looking to explore the general case rather than specifically the Hive Tyrant.

Librarian

Since the Flying Hive Tyrant is fearless that is a moot point, but a Flying Daemon Prince, or even a Bloodthirster is not fearless, but automatically passes Fear, Pinning or Morale tests. similar, but not the same, which is one of the arguments they are using to say a FMC can try to go to ground.

I would assume the FMC is above the terrain, not in it, so it can not get the area terrain based cover save. It could get a cover save from intervening terrain such as a tall ruin that would obscure it to the shooter Line of Sight.

I thought the only way a FMC that is zooming over area terrain but not in it and take then attempt to go to ground, is to fail a grounding test, or to dive into the terrain.

I still think the FMC can not go to ground, while it is zooming, in gliding mode yes, but then it is being shot by weapons that have blast templates, and other weapons that hit at normal BS. Many of them have the ignores cover rule.

I just had a thought. How would the following weapons affect a zooming FMC that attempts to dive to avoid taking the hit in the first place - Blast Master in Assault 2 mode, and sonic blasters, and any other ignores cover direct fire (non blast, non template) weapons? Would the FMC be able to get to take the jink roll - cover save?
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonette666 View Post
    I just had a thought. How would the following weapons affect a zooming FMC that attempts to dive to avoid taking the hit in the first place - Blast Master in Assault 2 mode, and sonic blasters, and any other ignores cover direct fire (non blast, non template) weapons? Would the FMC be able to get to take the jink roll - cover save?
    Jink confers a cover save so Ignores Cover weapons would ignore it I'd reckon, in that instance there'd be no point in diving.
    Last edited by Magpie; 07-17-2013 at 07:03 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonette666 View Post
    Since the Flying Hive Tyrant is fearless that is a moot point, but a Flying Daemon Prince, or even a Bloodthirster is not fearless, but automatically passes Fear, Pinning or Morale tests. similar, but not the same, which is one of the arguments they are using to say a FMC can try to go to ground.

I would assume the FMC is above the terrain, not in it, so it can not get the area terrain based cover save. It could get a cover save from intervening terrain such as a tall ruin that would obscure it to the shooter Line of Sight
    Thats not how the rule works, a swooping monstrous creature is not a zooming flier, it gets cover the same way ever single other monstrous creature does (plus jink)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast