BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I've noticed games against Tau tend to involve hunkering down on objectives waiting to see if you make enough saves to last to the end of the game to win it. Tau are pretty terrible at actually moving into the midfield and grabbing objectives (Battlesuits as troops will probably change that), so a good list can win just by playing to the mission, but that doesn't make the games fun.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I have to say I have been loving playing the new Eldar. I can make a list without a single duplicate unit and it still performs admirably. Their speed and trickery is so fun. My opponents have gained a very speciest (discrimination against another species) view towards my Eldar because of all their little tricks they use.

This. You can switch your list in every game (Fast/Mech/Footdar all of these combined etc.) and keep your opponent on his/her toes. I used to play CSM before the Space Elves and i didn´t find them as versatile as Eldar. Altough 3+ armor save was good... ...but now i have it on the Eldar (some units)...
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Librarian

of all the armies that i've collected and played over the years i will say even though i love my marines my orks have always proven to be the most amusing. whether its through their own quirks or in game comedy. though i will say they do have one of my favorite memories of all time can't forget when you have a titan kill under your belt

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    I've noticed games against Tau tend to involve hunkering down on objectives waiting to see if you make enough saves to last to the end of the game to win it. Tau are pretty terrible at actually moving into the midfield and grabbing objectives (Battlesuits as troops will probably change that), so a good list can win just by playing to the mission, but that doesn't make the games fun.
    I move my Tau up, infiltrate, or out flank with my kroot. Most games I enter my opponents deployment zone. Although against Daemons, Grey Knights, and Nids I found it is hard to advance into the other deployment zone.

Since fire warrors can move and shoot and 15" away from the enemy isa nice soft spot. I use th Ethereal's run and shoot a lot and than triple tap.

It depends on how moible/ nasty stuff th other side have. If you can't apply strong foward preasure I can easily advance up. The issue turns into that I get pushed back trying to mantain a 6" perimeter.

Librarian

I would say Codex Orks, would be the fun and tournament friendly codex, mainly because the army/faction has the funniest fluff (Wazdakka crashing into a Titan's bridge and killing them, etc...) And the most veristile codex out of the whole game. You can do foot slogging horde, Bikerz, mech, and static Gunline. Phil Kelly hit a real high point with this codex, with only a couple of units fading away from the meta (I.E. Flashgitz), but units like Big Gunz, are highly underestimated, and best part is, even if you know your opponent can shoot down your flyers, you can easily max the number of them out. (dakkajets are with the Vendetta's in cost) Battlewagons offer good tank/transportation, and all ork transports are open-topped, meaning "assault vehicles". Ork units are the most customizable models in the game, as anything and everything can be "looted" or added on for extra flare or effect. Having "Extra Armor" represented by captured gaurdsmen (or a commissar) tied to the sides of the tank, is totally acceptable. Add on to that, with Forgeworld units coming into the Tournament acceptable range, your unit selection is expanding quite nicely, and again, customized vehicles means you could just build what you want. So if you have a problem with GW/FW pricing, you still have options.(even though they are pretty models...)

rules wise, Orks are in a good spot, their BS 2 is mitigated with lots-o-dakka (lots of shots) and can offer a unique experience versus the usual "Marine vs. Marine" match-ups. Orks only suffer from 6th ed. in that nothing (so far) can assault after running, deminishing the effect of the "Waagh!" rule. Don't be set off by this though, as "Red Paint Job" will sow hate into your enemies hearts.

Example: Battlewagon with Deff Rolla, Tank Shocks 13in. and does 2 glances and 1 pen to a land-raider, you move/run another unit up and prepare for assault. In the assault phase, you use Boarding Planks to allow an Ork warboss to assault the Land raider, Finishing it off, and allowing the other ork unit to assault the passengers.

Another funny tactic to use is the swarming move, simply surround a vehicle with models, as to block any disembarkation, and simply wreck the vehicle. If the passengers cannot disembark, they are counted as destroyed. I find this to be a funny way of dealing with Wave serpents with Wrathguard inside. Or *insert expensive unit with transport here*. This move works best with Ghazkull Thraka, as his special "Waagh!" allows Ork Mobz to move 12 inches that turn.

I don't get to play often but I do have a fully painted/ converted/ lots of scratch builds Wazdakka led badmoonz biker army (fluff be damned lol) which is a lot of fun to play. It's not a cheesy maxed out on bikernobz list, in fact in around 15 games played with it (told you I don't play often) I have only won around 7 times, rest are losses/ draws but still, lots and lots of fun to use!
    I am currently trying to start painting my new Saim Hann army (when my airbrush stops being broken) and I expect that to be lots of fun also...

Veteran-Sergeant

ork! the funnest

but the new eldar are a close second

Brother-Sergeant

Orks.

Librarian

The old school lost and the damn codex was a fun way too run ones army.

Perry

think the sovereign is spot on ... two or more varied armies keeps your interest and gives variety to games... i play ork and newdar... very different

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast